2021 Class

Advertisement
Advertisement
Glad to see we got three-star DEANDRE Johnson from U of Tennessee via Homestead in the portal.

That said, I wish we did a better job of recruiting and developing these kind of players within the program.

Advertisement
We have three defensive ends getting drafted this year with one of them going 1st round.
Right, but 2 of them are transfers. He is saying that he wishes we were able to either get more quality players out of high school and/or do a better job of developing our high school recruits so we didnt have to depend on the portal so much.

Right, but 2 of them are transfers. He is saying that he wishes we were able to either get more quality players out of high school and/or do a better job of developing our high school recruits so we didnt have to depend on the portal so much.

1 of them couldn't stay healthy at his previous school and he got here and had zero health issues and redefined his body and might be a 1st round pick also. We've had defensive ends drafted recently that we've developed from high school. The portal is basically for us what JUCOs are for the sec. It's a part of college football and if you can find help in the portal why not. It's the college version of free agency

We have two definite first rounder des and roche will at worst be 3-4 the rd

1 of them couldn't stay healthy at his previous school and he got here and had zero health issues and redefined his body and might be a 1st round pick also. We've had defensive ends drafted recently that we've developed from high school. The portal is basically for us what JUCOs are for the sec. It's a part of college football and if you can find help in the portal why not. It's the college version of free agency
I get that - and I am probably somewhere in the middle of you and BigWindy on this issue - but I am pretty sure he is talking about the team overall needing to take transfers for glaring holes (as opposed to just making us better).

To your point, the DL is one of the places that we have done relatively well, but it is especially frustrating on the defensive side of the ball - since the majority of the coaches on that side of the ball have been here for a while now - that we likely need at least 1 DE, CB, and LB b/c we do not have high school recruited players that have been developed well enough that we feel comfortable with them starting (or just lacking of bodies in general when it comes to CB).

I personally think taking a couple of players from the portal a year to improve a position or plug the occasional hole is fine, but having to rely on it the way we are going to need to this year is not ideal. Now hopefully we get a get out of jail free card and are able to take more than the 3 ICs we had available prior to the Tenn DE coming over.

Advertisement
I get that - and I am probably somewhere in the middle of you and BigWindy on this issue - but I am pretty sure he is talking about the team overall needing to take transfers for glaring holes (as opposed to just making us better).

To your point, the DL is one of the places that we have done relatively well, but it is especially frustrating on the defensive side of the ball - since the majority of the coaches on that side of the ball have been here for a while now - that we likely need at least 1 DE, CB, and LB b/c we do not have high school recruited players that have been developed well enough that we feel comfortable with them starting (or just lacking of bodies in general when it comes to CB).

I personally think taking a couple of players from the portal a year to improve a position or plug the occasional hole is fine, but having to rely on it the way we are going to need to this year is not ideal. Now hopefully we get a get out of jail free card and are able to take more than the 3 ICs we had available prior to the Tenn DE coming over.

The portal is there for a reason just like high school recruits and juco. If we miss on a high school recruit the portal is there and we're really successful in it. I don't care really where we get them as long as we get them. There is no team in college football that is spot on with their evaluations at every position. Too many variables just like there is no team in the nfl who is spot on on their evaluations eiether.

Last edited:
The portal is there for a reason just like high school recruits and juco. If we miss on a high school recruit the portal is there and we're really successful in it. I don't care really where we get them as long as we get them. There is no team in college football that is spot on with their evaluations at every position. Too many variables just like there is no team in the nfl who is spot on on their evaluations eiether.

I can tell you right know that our roster management has been close to the bottom for 15 years .

Advertisement
Glad to see we got three-star DEANDRE Johnson from U of Tennessee via Homestead in the portal.

That said, I wish we did a better job of recruiting and developing these kind of players within the program.
we actually do a pretty good job at DE. losing guys early has been a challenge. Now recruiting LB and CB have been fails, along with OL and WR evals.

Deandre Johnson grew up in Goulds, if I recall correctly, wanted to go to UM, was a three-star recruit in 2017, played HS at SOUTHRIDGE and survived a tragic knife attack by a deranged student, was the 46th ranked weakside defensive end and 104th ranked player in Florida, and IDK if he received an serious offer from the Canes. But really a really good person, inspiring story with a big heart. He also works hard, is dedicated and studied under Kirby Smart’s defense. The kind of person CMD should want in his locker room.

he had 28 tackles, six TFLs, 4.5 sacks and two forced fumbles in a part-time role in 2020. I think he was SEC DL of the week once,

Advertisement
Back