2021 Class- Top Targets & Offers: Defense

Metayer will not play DE here. We should've locked up Ishmael at DE by now, not sure who else we covet there outside of Koyt but it seems OOS is likely for DE # 2. I'm cool with only taking two DT's if Moise is officially a Cane. Gotta prioritize Hood at linebacker and find a way to get 1/2 from Dawson or Knowles at corner while keeping Burns committed.
Metayer won't play here period. Moise might move to OL so taking 2 DT's sounds about right with Ford graduating. That'd leave us with Miller, Holley, Harrison-Hunte, Nesta, possibly Roberts, and 2 DT's from the 2021 class.

Advertisement
Metayer won't play here period. Moise might move to OL so taking 2 DT's sounds about right with Ford graduating. That'd leave us with Miller, Holley, Harrison-Hunte, Nesta, possibly Roberts, and 2 DT's from the 2021 class.
In my opinion at least I see Roberts playing DT here but I guess we'll have to hope they utilize Moise properly wherever they decide to play him

I'm full blown panicked. Then again, this isn't my job and in the end I don't give a ****. These coaches are paid to be good and time will tell. As of now, everything across the board is pedestrian and it's our own fault. Just ****es me off we **** the bed so bad last year. Just going 8-4 in Manny's first year gives us way more cred than we have. ******* sucks man.

Ishmael should be pressured for that commitment soon...

but otherwise I hope the staff is already looking OOS for DEs... because looks like we’re gonna get washed out... Texas, Carolinas, NOVA, and Louisiana I’m looking at those areas

Advertisement
7/18 Update - Kitchen and Ismael on board. Defensive recruiting class starting to take its final shape.

Remaining targets -

1. Leonard Taylor
2. James Williams
3. Jason Marshall
4. Chase Smith
5. Markevious Brown
6. Thomas Davis

Hopefully land Taylor, Davis, Brown, and Smith; then chase Williams & Marshall until the end

Last edited:
I'm full blown panicked. Then again, this isn't my job and in the end I don't give a ****. These coaches are paid to be good and time will tell. As of now, everything across the board is pedestrian and it's our own fault. Just ****es me off we **** the bed so bad last year. Just going 8-4 in Manny's first year gives us way more cred than we have. ******* sucks man.
Now you probably love Manny... whining in April sucking him off in July... 🤦🏽‍♂️😂😂😂😂

Ishmael should be pressured for that commitment soon...

but otherwise I hope the staff is already looking OOS for DEs... because looks like we’re gonna get washed out... Texas, Carolinas, NOVA, and Louisiana I’m looking at those areas

Still need to look OOS?

Advertisement
Defensive recruiting really turning up the heat. Could be the best defensive class signed under Manny as HC and DC

Would love to close with -

1. Leonard Taylor
2. Jason Marshall
3. Tyreak Sapp
4. 1 of Chase Smith/Jaydon Hood/Terrence Lewis
5. Markevious Brown
6. maybe Corey Collier

My guess is we part ways with Malik Curtis if we land Marshall and Brown - giving us 14/15 guys on in the defensive class

8/29 Update -

3-4 Targets Remaining:

1. Jaydon Hood (MICH)
2. Markevious Brown
3. Tyreak Sapp (UF)
4. Jason Marshall (UF)

Sapp and Marshall are long shots but with a slow/bad start by UF this year, we could creep back in.

Michigan not playing this fall and we're still recruiting Hood hard. Would be nice to land him and Brown to close the class

Anyone know who is an EE this year on the defensive side of the ball?

I saw LT was, and Chase Smith, not sure about the rest of the class?

Anyone know who is an EE this year on the defensive side of the ball?

I saw LT was, and Chase Smith, not sure about the rest of the class?
I wish I could answer your question but I will say that getting both Leonard Taylor and Chase Smith as EE is huge! In the case of LT, him coming in early just almost assures him of significant playing time anywhere on the DL. Just think of that for a second and imagine what a schematic advantage it would give our D to have a defensive lineman good enough to potentially dominate at any position on the line.

Then there's Chase Smith who has been called the most athletically explosive and naturally gifted athlete that we have recruited in years. Don't forget that our coaches will have James Williams and Avantae Williams in the same back 7. They will also have Brooks, Huff and Kitchens too. Just think of the possibilities.

Advertisement
Choad ...MD would like a word with you. You panick quickly! Don't invest in stocks champ not for the faint of heart.

Advertisement
11/24 Updated OP -
  • 10 Current Commits on Defense
  • Sounds like we're turning up the heat on Pat Payton
  • No clue what Manny/Rumph are doing at CB - disaster show
  • Collins is probably not going to end up in the class
IMO we need to close with

- DE - Patrick Payton
- 2 CBs - Brown & Covington or whoever Rumph can land
- Drop Collins and add best talent (ie. Lewis, Hood, Maason Smith, Sapp, etc.)

Giving us around 12-13 commits on Defense

1/31 - Updated OP with Grades, Misses, and Analysis

Class is led by two 5 Stars and alot of SoFla talent. Getting Stevenson is huge. CB recruiting issues continued with Rumph. Thank god he's done and we have a real CB coach in T-Rob.

DE: 3 Grade: B+
  1. Deandre Johnson COMMIT - Transfer
  2. Jabari Ishmael COMMIT
  3. Thomas Davis COMMIT (EE)
Misses - Patrick Payton (FSU), Dallas Turner (ALA), Keanu Koht (LSU)

Analysis - Really wish we took Payton in this class, but sounds like they wanted a more impact/ready player in Johnson. Other that we landed a very solid class

DT: 2 Grade: A
  1. Leonard Taylor COMMIT (EE)
  2. Allan Haye COMMIT
Misses - Tyreak Sapp (UF), Maason Smith (LSU)

Analysis - Taylor is a generational talent. Haye looks very underrated and is somewhat new to football. Great class

LB: 2 Grade: B-
  1. Tyler Johnson COMMIT
  2. Deshawn Troutman COMMIT (EE)
Misses - Terrence Lewis (MARY), Jaydon Hood (MICH)

Analysis - Lewis is a big miss but also would've been a big risk character wise. Hood was a big time talent too. Maybe we grab Gaoteote from the portal.

Striker: 1 Grade: A
  1. Chase Smith COMMIT (EE)
Analysis - Landed top target and maybe the best ATH in this class

CB: 2 Grade: C+
  1. Tyrique Stevenson COMMIT - Transfer
  2. Malik Curtis COMMIT
Misses - Jason Marshall (UF), Ja'Den McBurrows (MICH), Markevious Brown (MISS), Demarius Mcghee (LSU), Kevin Knowles (FSU), etc.

Analysis - Rumph is probably the worst recruiter in the history of Miami. O and now he's in the recruiting department lol. Stevenson somewhat saved this class. Not sure if we have any spots left, but would be great to add 1 more CB

S: 2 Grade: A+
  1. James Williams COMMIT
  2. Kamren Kitchens COMMIT (EE)

Analysis - Two SoFla Studs and two of the best in the country. Banda killed this class
According to Manny, Rumphs strong point is connecting with the parents and DVD excels with the kids.

Advertisement
Back