2021 Class- Top Targets & Offers: Defense

nvlahos

Junior
Premium
DE: 3 Grade: B+
  1. Deandre Johnson COMMIT - Transfer
  2. Jabari Ishmael COMMIT
  3. Thomas Davis COMMIT (EE)
Misses - Patrick Payton (FSU), Dallas Turner (ALA), Keanu Koht (LSU)

Analysis - Really wish we took Payton in this class, but sounds like they wanted a more impact/ready player in Johnson. Other that we landed a very solid class

DT: 2 Grade: A
  1. Leonard Taylor COMMIT (EE)
  2. Allan Haye COMMIT
Misses - Tyreak Sapp (UF), Maason Smith (LSU)

Analysis - Taylor is a generational talent. Haye looks very underrated and is somewhat new to football. Great class

LB: 2 Grade: B-
  1. Tyler Johnson COMMIT
  2. Deshawn Troutman COMMIT (EE)
Misses - Terrence Lewis (MARY), Jaydon Hood (MICH)

Analysis - Lewis is a big miss but also would've been a big risk character wise. Hood was a big time talent too. Maybe we grab Gaoteote from the portal.

Striker: 1 Grade: A
  1. Chase Smith COMMIT (EE)
Analysis - Landed top target and maybe the best ATH in this class

CB: 2 Grade: C+
  1. Tyrique Stevenson COMMIT - Transfer
  2. Malik Curtis COMMIT
Misses - Jason Marshall (UF), Ja'Den McBurrows (MICH), Markevious Brown (MISS), Demarius Mcghee (LSU), Kevin Knowles (FSU), etc.

Analysis - Rumph is probably the worst recruiter in the history of Miami. O and now he's in the recruiting department lol. Stevenson somewhat saved this class. Not sure if we have any spots left, but would be great to add 1 more CB

S: 2 Grade: A+
  1. James Williams COMMIT
  2. Kamren Kitchens COMMIT (EE)

Analysis - Two SoFla Studs and two of the best in the country. Banda killed this class

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't think we can take more that 3 CBs (have 6, shouldn't lose any next season) and 3 LBs (shouldn't lose more than 1 or 2), to make the roster and IC numbers work.

Advertisement
I'd say

DT: 2-3 (Definite 3 if no moise)
DE 2-3
LB 3 (Incl strikers)
CB 3
S 1-2 (not including strikers)

Obviously kids are transferring left or right and subject to change, I think the number of strikers or pure safeties has a lot to deal with where Harrell ends up and if K.Wash actually shows a pulse.

Keep in mind I have no insider knowledge. These list are based on reading CIS, following ITU, and following who visits and who the coaches visit

It's just a way to organize what our board might look like. Any insight or info to who we are recruiting is helpful to keep this thing up to date.

Advertisement
Also - Safety class looks very strong again down in SoFla.

4 top guys (Williams, Kitchens, O'Brien, Nealy) and 1 in Central FL (Mitchell)

What are the odds Banda strikes out again? lol

Based on the new ITU podcast, Ivins mentioned the staff is real high on Jantzen Dunn and Tar'varish Dawson at CB. Dunn visited this past weekend and the staff has visited Dawson twice recently
I thought the staff likes Dunn at S?

Advertisement
The Safety class is very strong, besides the obvious studs the guy just mentioned, there are guys like alfonzo Allen, Jantzen Dunn, and I personally think Kevin Knowles good be an outstanding FS with his range and physicality.

Advertisement
Naw ...you let him cook at CB. Thats my younging...very P Buch like at cb
Well, I'm just thinking realistically..... the staff already has Tim Burns, they like Tavarish Dawson and dont mind locking him up early and I dont believe the staff is gonna take 3 5'10 CBs. Out the the, 3 Knowles is the most physical and Versatile.

Based on the new ITU podcast, Ivins mentioned the staff is real high on Jantzen Dunn and Tar'varish Dawson at CB. Dunn visited this past weekend and the staff has visited Dawson twice recently

LOL...All these local studs at corner. I don't mind either of these kids, but I know one thing Burns better stay getting full court pressed. You have Mcburrows, Edwards, Knowles. Beasts locally

Updated OP - 4/22

Seems like our top targets are pretty defined but alot of them are long shots at this point, and we don't have any backup plans:

James Williams - UGA/$EC
Jason Marshall - UF Lean
Leonard Taylor - UF Lean
Keanu Koht - $EC schools after him hard & just picked up a Clemson offer

Guys we have a decent to good shot at -

Jabari Ishmael
Jaydon Hood
Kamren Kitchens (although AUB/LSU very involved)
Tar'varish Dawson

Metayer will not play DE here. We should've locked up Ishmael at DE by now, not sure who else we covet there outside of Koyt but it seems OOS is likely for DE # 2. I'm cool with only taking two DT's if Moise is officially a Cane. Gotta prioritize Hood at linebacker and find a way to get 1/2 from Dawson or Knowles at corner while keeping Burns committed.

Advertisement
Back