2021 CB Nyland Green receives offer

Advertisement
It's neither. It's our compliance department. Given our history, they've shown they'll throw us under the bus even is there's a potential "optics" problem (and not necessarily a compliance issue).

I have not problem with them playing it safe but the sense I get is they jump the gun and assume you're guilty until proven innocent. That's even before doing an investigation. If you act as if you're guilty, that's how it's going to appear to the NCAA when they come sniffing.

I know a number of very well-off UM alums, some of whom I went to school with. I actually have three friends from UM who are CEOs of companies, one of whom was a former roommate of mine.

None of them are looking to be "bag-men". Sorry, but the kinds of people who take their hard-earned money and then commit various crimes in order to recruit football players...that's much more prevalent at "State Schools of the Confederacy". And a few Rust Belt states too.

If we are going to compete in the bag-game, it's probably going to have to come from wealthy boosters who are not UM alums, people like (but not nearly as criminal as) Nevin. Guys who want to help the program by any means necessary, which usually rules out wealthy UM grads.

Someone mentioned on another thread, one out of every four GaTech graduates is a millionaire. And GaTech is in Atlanta. So why do you never hear about GaTech being a "bag man" school? It's certainly not for lack of money, it's for lack of a desire to cut corners on the part of their alums.

And for the record, Alabama's bag game is VERY decentralized, Saban never gets involved. And Dabo learned at the foot of the master. But most schools are not at the Bama-Clemson level. Miami might never get there.

I'm not against paying Marshall 300 large, I just don't think we have the money or people who can make that happen. Just being honest.

Call me what you want. I’m going to continue to make smart business decisions lol until we get a corner in the first two rounds OR match prices I’m not going to be mad at premium cornerbacks not wanting to play in this bull**** scheme with one hand tied behind their back.
Yea the Gaytors DBs are just flat out dominating in the league. If you're a stud CB, you'll make it regardless. Have some pride in your home town. Stay home. Be that next highly drafted CB from the U that breaks the slump. But they all have your attitude I suppose. Rather sell out and go play for some honkeys in Tuskkkaloosa and Gainesville.

Yea the Gaytors DBs are just flat out dominating in the league. If you're a stud CB, you'll make it regardless. Have some pride in your home town. Stay home. Be that next highly drafted CB from the U that breaks the slump. But they all have your attitude I suppose. Rather sell out and go play for some honkeys in Tuskkkaloosa and Gainesville.
I’m not your enemy bro but you’re talking about a breed of kid that doesn’t really exist anymore. We are blessed to have two. James Williams and Leonard Taylor. Until we are what we are supposed to be we won’t prosper

Advertisement
I’m not your enemy bro but you’re talking about a breed of kid that doesn’t really exist anymore. We are blessed to have two. James Williams and Leonard Taylor. Until we are what we are supposed to be we won’t prosper
I get it man. But you just named 2 kids that are that breed. So they do exist. As fans, we have to stop perpetuating this attitude that UF is some juggernaut at anything except hugging our nuts. Their DBs are continually straight trash in the league. **** them and their clown *** coach.

I know a number of very well-off UM alums, some of whom I went to school with. I actually have three friends from UM who are CEOs of companies, one of whom was a former roommate of mine.

None of them are looking to be "bag-men". Sorry, but the kinds of people who take their hard-earned money and then commit various crimes in order to recruit football players...that's much more prevalent at "State Schools of the Confederacy". And a few Rust Belt states too.

If we are going to compete in the bag-game, it's probably going to have to come from wealthy boosters who are not UM alums, people like (but not nearly as criminal as) Nevin. Guys who want to help the program by any means necessary, which usually rules out wealthy UM grads.

Someone mentioned on another thread, one out of every four GaTech graduates is a millionaire. And GaTech is in Atlanta. So why do you never hear about GaTech being a "bag man" school? It's certainly not for lack of money, it's for lack of a desire to cut corners on the part of their alums.

And for the record, Alabama's bag game is VERY decentralized, Saban never gets involved. And Dabo learned at the foot of the master. But most schools are not at the Bama-Clemson level. Miami might never get there.

I'm not against paying Marshall 300 large, I just don't think we have the money or people who can make that happen. Just being honest.
I’ve mentioned it and @OriginalCanesCanesCanes has as well... and bringing up GT alumnos is a great example. The mindset of our wealthy boosters is very different from the money booster mindsets at places like Bama, LSU, Ole Miss...

I think if ND alumns wanted to bag up, they’d slay even the bigger State Schools but that mindset is probably different as well. Just guessing on ND though.

I'm not implying we could or should compete with the bag game. The bag game was going long before we ever became good. These days, the bag schools have just gotten smarter (how they disburse without leaving a trail) and dollars have gotten larger. We competed against them successfully before and can again without participating in it.

I was commenting on the question whether, "UM is truly more honest than other schools or do we, as UM fans, like to believe our school is more honest". It's irrelevant what fans think. Something like the Marshall situation could never happen without someone within the admin catching wind of it. And if it did, the Compliance department is of a mindset to come down hard. UM's Compliance structure is slanted towards caution; they don't come across as the types to have the athletics' department's back.

I'm not implying we could or should compete with the bag game. The bag game was going long before we ever became good. These days, the bag schools have just gotten smarter (how they disburse without leaving a trail) and dollars have gotten larger. We competed against them successfully before and can again without participating in it.

I was commenting on the question whether, "UM is truly more honest than other schools or do we, as UM fans, like to believe our school is more honest". It's irrelevant what fans think. Something like the Marshall situation could never happen without someone within the admin catching wind of it. And if it did, the Compliance department is of a mindset to come down hard. UM's Compliance structure is slanted towards caution; they don't come across as the types to have the athletics' department's back.

I look at it this way.

Miami cheats less than a lot of other schools. Regardless of my love of UM, I am not self-delusional. We may be cheating less because we just don't have the same opportunities, rather than some kind of excess virtue. But we ARE cheating less.

People need to wake up. This is why F$U "restructured" its booster club, so that it could operate with LESS scrutiny of the financials.

I know a lot of people were hoping that NIL would "fix" this problem. But in all honesty, I'm not sure what would stop several SEC schools from paying players IN ADDITION TO the money they can make from NIL.

I hope that recruits make some good-faith decisions to NOT take bags, because they can make money on their own without violating any rules or laws. But I'm sure there will always be some kids (and some adults) that take the shortcuts.

Advertisement

There’s some truth to this.

As for bama and now Georgia they use their foundations to move money. “ Donate to their Bear Bryant foundation or Vince Dooley foundation and move along. Smart learned from the best and moved it over to Athens. Id be willing to bet Pruitt and Cristoball are doing the same thing.

Advertisement
I’m aware. But he can still sell it
It’s maddening that rumph can’t sell that HE WAS A 1st ROUND PICK HIMSELF AND KNOWS WHAT IT TAKES... despite any schematic challenges he has to coach through.

L
A
Y
U
P

It's not a load of crap. If you just open your ears, there are numerous posters on here who know the players who were paid (and how much). Nobody is casting this as a black-and-white binary choice between the Rebel Alliance and the Evil Empire.

Some recruits want the money and base their decisions on the money. That's a reality. Some schools pay more money and more players than others. That's a reality.

To try to obscure those realities simply because you think people are making excuses for recruiting losses is just childish. We have ABSOLUTELY lost recruits due to being outbid. That doesn't mean that we haven't won a few battles, and I won't go into any specifics.

Sure, it happens, but the he said she said, I heard, etc gets tossed around all the time with most recruiting losses. People getting paid has become the excuse, not that we have a coach our own fans wouldn't send their kid to or don't believe in, but that they got paid.

The idea that we're squeaky clean is also bs, but I'll leave that alone.

Advertisement
Something can’t be right in Marshall’s head. Money be damned. You’d rather play for that clown *** coach in oversized pants and mouth kiss his crusty *** wife than play for a team with Ed ******* Reed roaming the sidelines?
they just sent a CB 1st round, our best CB went in the 8th round of the draft 🙃.

they just sent a CB 1st round, our best CB went in the 8th round of the draft 🙃.
I know right??!!!
I mean everyone and every team in the sec wanted bandy. Dude was a guaranteed first round nfl corner at 5’8.
And that 40 he posted at the combine was fast AF!! Right up there with Hendo.
Florida would definitely put Bamdy top 10.
Saban would’ve had him number one over all.
We don’t develop blah blah blah.....

Alabama has 'Red Elephant' booster clubs around the SE. If memory serves, they have to file articles of incorporation and register with NCAA compliance.

However, they are quite separate from the UA athletic department. The level of structure is quite impressive, to the point where the benefits to family, handlers, etc is all done on the d/l, rarely in cash, and kept on the up and up as much as possible while the athlete still fits the description of being an 'amateur.'

Just imagine, a large network of people with connections in banking, real estate, etc, all working with the single goal of advancing the interests of the Bama sports program.

Advertisement
Back