2021 Analysis from CFB edge.

What about a 9-3 regular season where Miami loses to UNC, but still wins the acc coastal, beats the acc Atlantic rep in the acc championship, but then loses in the Orange Bowl to finish 9-4? You would call that a failure of a season?

Seems rather ridiculous to base an opinion of the season entirely on the result of the UNC game. If Miami wins the ACC championship, I wouldn't give two ****s about the overall record or the UNC game. As far as I'm aware, teams don't hoist banners that show the years they beat UNC.
How do we finish 9-3, win the ACCCG and then finish 9-4?

Advertisement
How do we finish -3, win the ACCCG and then finish 9-4?

Good catch. Finish regular season 8-4, win acc championship so 9-4, lose NY6 to finish 9-5. If Miami won the acc for the first time ever, it would be a successful season IMO.

Advertisement
Vast majority of this article very accurate. Someone did their homework before writing

Yeah; it’s literally nothing I didn’t agree w/. What I didn’t know is us setting a record for most combined games experience in CFB history from our OL!

Yeah; it’s literally nothing I didn’t agree w/. What I didn’t know is us setting a record for most combined games experience in CFB history from our OL!
Do you think there's enough proven talent at the college level along the offensive line to go with the most combined games experience in CFB history? I think Gaynor is the weakest link along the OL. I'll have my eyes on him game one. He got NO respect in the trenches and was constantly manhandled in games last year.

Miami needs a nasty intelligent mauler at the center position to compliment the stable of backs it has.

Do you think there's enough proven talent at the college level along the offensive line to go with the most combined games experience in CFB history? I think Gaynor is the weakest link along the OL. I'll have my eyes on him game one. He got NO respect in the trenches and was constantly manhandled in games last year.

Miami needs a nasty intelligent mauler at the center position to compliment the stable of backs it has.

I have to admit, Gaynor has been a HUGE disappointment for me. What he showed at Douglas was a kid w/ a mean streak that finished on drives. For once, I wasn’t concerned w/ the ranking; just attributed it to lack of exposure & we found a diamond in the rough. Unfortunately, thus far, he’s been more coal than diamond.

What I did appreciate the most about the article was highlighting how Zion finished the season vs. his entire body of work in the season. We should see some improvement overall. I’m hoping Big Vaughn, finally, lives up to the hype & is motivated to make it to The NFL. For the first time in a while, we’re returning a complete, veteran group filled w/ True Juniors, Seniors, and RS Seniors. Hoping that age comes w/ more refined technique, and grown man strength.

That's bad cause they been pretty trash besides Nelson. Against good comp cause they sometimes play well enough.....but against the elites they have fell apart completely

EDIT: let me rephrase elite cause UNC ain't elite but they had some NFL guys out there in that front seven. At least that's what my eyes told me

Advertisement
DL

Miami needs to replace both bookends, as starters Jalean Phillips and Quincy Roche (along with Gregory Rousseau, who opted-out) moved onto the NFL. DE production hasn’t been an issue during Diaz’s tenure at Miami, so Canes fans are hopeful that someone steps up. Tennessee transfer Deandre Johnson and rFr Cam Williams appear to have the lead entering fall camp. 5-star DT Leonard Taylor arrives in the fall, and word is the staff plans to play him at DE until he bulks up enough to move inside.
Miami has depth and talent at DT. Jordan Miller, Jonathan Ford, Nesta Silveria and Jared Harrison-Huente all have plenty of experience and this unit should be a strength for the team.

I'm not sure he really did his homework on the DL. How do you not mentioned the starter on DL harvey who is projected by the coaches to be our best pass rusher.

Knighton (209/4/1) is more of a scatback, quick and twitchy, and a receiving threat out of the backfield. He will be used situationally.

Also Don is 100% our starter and i'm excited but Rooster is not a situational player.

Agreed 9-3 is a failure. It means Miami achieved their lowest level of success. Outside of Bama, I see UNC and going undefeated through the rest of the schedule both being a toss up. That means 10 wins is the reasonable expectation.
A three loss season with ten wins is still possible...ie

Alabama
Random ACC upset loss
Loss to Clemson in ACC title game after finishing 7-1 in conference play

What about an 8-4 regular season where Miami loses to UNC, but still wins the acc coastal, beats the acc Atlantic rep in the acc championship, but then loses in the Orange Bowl to finish 9-5? You would call that a failure of a season?

Seems rather ridiculous to base an opinion of the season entirely on the result of the UNC game. If Miami wins the ACC championship, I wouldn't give two ****s about the overall record or the UNC game. As far as I'm aware, teams don't hoist banners that show the years they beat UNC.
Although I was responding to @NC_Canes_11 regarding the regular season only, I'll respond anyway.

Serious question:
How realistic is that scenario?

You have to be thinking we beat MSU.
That means we finish with 3 ACC losses, including 1 to UNC.
Which means for us to go to the ACCCG, UNC goes 4-4 in the ACC.
Which means we aren't going, and the banner hoisting will be put off another year.

That's an improbable scenario that I disagree with, much like us going 11-1 with our only loss to UNC.

To answer your question on how you laid out the entire season, I would consider the season to be a mixed bag.
The bad:
1. We back-doored our way into the ACCCG (half-step forward)
2. We had some ****** losses (step back)
3. We lose to UNC, again, and CIS perpetuates the Mack/Manny bull**** (no progress)
4. We didn't win the bowl, and didn't finish off the season to keep the momentum going into the off-season (no progress)

The good:
1. We beat Clemson and finally won the ACC (the solo full step forward)

I'm not declaring the season a "success" under those circumstances.
I can't with a 5-loss team, even with the ACC belt.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Good write- up. This stuck out the most to me.

“or will that same defense continued to get gashed by OCs that have it figured out?”

A three loss season with ten wins is still possible...ie

Alabama
Random ACC upset loss
Loss to Clemson in ACC title game after finishing 7-1 in conference play
I was going to start a thread where, if you're part of the 10-2 crowd, where's the second loss?
I don't want to lose any games, but if I had to name the second team-gun to my head, it would be a close one to NC State.
This means we swept the Coastal (guarantees us the ACCCG), disposed of FSU, beat the OOC teams we should have and finish the year on a 5-game win streak.

If King can stay healthy anything under 9 wins is a failure and indictment of Manny. We have a lot of experience especially on the Oline that has been weak over the last decade. No more excuses.
I think this team will be good. You have leaders like King, Harley, Bolden, Nesta etc to keep the team in line. Our interior Dline is stout!! Not many JAGs there rotating which should play dividends late in games and hold up against the Tide.
excited to see how this year goes. Week 1 will be a bear but we have some dudes who will be wanting it badly!

Advertisement
I was going to start a thread where, if you're part of the 10-2 crowd, where's the second loss?
I don't want to lose any games, but if I had to name the second team-gun to my head, it would be a close one to NC State.
This means we swept the Coastal (guarantees us the ACCCG), disposed of FSU, beat the OOC teams we should have and finish the year on a 5-game win streak.
Baring injuries or a rash of COVID related players missing key games (very understated issue that could happen this season for us and our opponents), the ceiling is probably 13-0 and the floor is 9-3. At absolute best we can beat an unsuspecting Alabama and win the ACC but I’m not confident that we would have the talent or depth to get through both rounds of the playoffs.

Advertisement
Back