2021 4-star OT Sutton recaps UM visit

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Even without an offer, 2021 Brentwood Academy (TN) 4-star OT Eli Sutton had enough interest in the Hurricanes to come down to Coral Gables to take a visit. After OL coach Butch Barry saw him in person, though, the UM coaching staff made sure Sutton left campus with an offer in hand.

“It was awesome to get an offer from the U, such a prestigious program with an incredible history,” Sutton said. “I found out when coach Butch Barry asked me to do a couple flexibility drills and he looked impressed and basically said, ‘Yeah, you are offered now.’”

Miami made a good first impression on Sutton during that campus visit in late March, which took place at the end of his spring break. He even got some 1-on-1 time with new head coach Manny Diaz.

“I enjoyed it thoroughly, it was great to meet all the coaching staff and watch spring practice,” Sutton said. “I got to speak with coach Diaz and I thought we really hit it off, it was a great experience overall. My interest is very high.”

After spending a short time with Diaz, Sutton is already convinced that good things are coming to the Miami program with the new head coach at the helm.

“I see an upward trend with the program, I believe coach Diaz is going to turn the program around into what it was during the 80's and 90's,” Sutton said.

Miami’s new Indoor Practice Facility has been a hug selling point on campus visits, and Sutton described the IPF as, “incredible, so nice.”

Does he have any concerns about the distance from home?

“I do, but the plane ride is direct and is only an hour and a half long,” Sutton said. “It is also great because my grandfather lives in Ft. Lauderdale, which is so close.”

Other schools such as South Carolina, Virginia, Michigan, and Louisville have recently reached out to Sutton to get involved in his recruitment, and the lineman has already had offers from programs like Tennessee, Florida, LSU, and Texas A&M.

“I’m looking for a school that does not only develop me as a player, but as a student and as a man in general,” Sutton said. “I want to be set up when football inevitably ends. If I find the school that is right for me, I will try and commit the summer before my senior season; however, if not, I would like to take all of my officials and decide after the season is over.”

The 6-7 280 pound lineman helped lead Brentwood Academy from the trenches to a 12-2 record in 2018 as a sophomore, which culminated in the Eagles’ 4th straight state title after a win over Memphis University School in the finals.

“We did really well, won our 4th straight Tennessee state championship. We decided to play really well at the very back end of the year as we faced adversity towards the tail-end of a regular season,” Sutton said. “I felt like I played my best games towards the end of the year, especially in the last two games of the playoffs. It is definitely different doing every single snap out of a two-point stance which is what I’m not used to. However, I got over that and got comfortable in my stance and we came together as a team very well.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
I was at the practice when Coach Barry had him do those knee bends. So, impressed he called Coach Diaz over and the kid did a squat (*** to ankles) with his 6'7" frame with ease.

Did we have somebody from Brentwood Academy?
Corn Elder, if I'm not mistaken went to Brentwood. Elite academic private school in Nashville (even if it was established to "get around" the Supreme Court's 1954 school desegregation ruling).

Advertisement
Elder went to Ensworth HS.

Corn Elder, if I'm not mistaken went to Brentwood. Elite academic private school in Nashville (even if it was established to "get around" the Supreme Court's 1954 school desegregation ruling).

Naw he went to Ensworth... I think Ramsey went there

He came down with the “Dream team” that played in a 7v7 in south Florida.. same team Corn Elder’s cousin plays for. New upstart program dominating the 7v7 scene in TN. Traveling to schools and getting exposure.

Brentwood kid that is not going to Miami. Wants to go to Tennessee, parents want him at Vandy, and I was told in March that an uncle or maybe grandfather is pushing for Arkansas because he graduated from there. Wealthy kid with his choice of SEC schools.. would be a culture shock anyway.

Advertisement
I was at the practice when Coach Barry had him do those knee bends. So, impressed he called Coach Diaz over and the kid did a squat (*** to ankles) with his 6'7" frame with ease.

That's the type of insight that I come to this board for. Good ****, man.

He came down with the “Dream team” that played in a 7v7 in south Florida.. same team Corn Elder’s cousin plays for. New upstart program dominating the 7v7 scene in TN. Traveling to schools and getting exposure.

Brentwood kid that is not going to Miami. Wants to go to Tennessee, parents want him at Vandy, and I was told in March that an uncle or maybe grandfather is pushing for Arkansas because he graduated from there. Wealthy kid with his choice of SEC schools.. would be a culture shock anyway.

Culture Shock?

We are talking about a Private School kid from a Metro Area possibly going to a Private School in a Metro Area. These are the type of kids we should be after

Culture Shock?

We are talking about a Private School kid from a Metro Area possibly going to a Private School in a Metro Area. These are the type of kids we should be after

Considering Ive known and worked with the guy that runs the facility he trains at and travels the country touring schools and going to camps with.. and he said that.. ya it’s a culture shock. He lives in the suburbs outside of Nashville. The types of kids at Brentwood aren’t what he’d be playing with at Miami is where the culture shock would be. He’s a Vandy, UT, UK type recruit and he’s not gonna fit in in our locker room.

We’re not talking a metro Tennessee kid from Memphis... Nashville is one of the exceptions to Metro kids we should be recruiting. Corn Elder and his cousin might be one of the last blue chip that ever seriously considers us from the area.. and the only reason his cousin is considering us is because of Corn.

Advertisement
Considering Ive known and worked with the guy that runs the facility he trains at and travels the country touring schools and going to camps with.. and he said that.. ya it’s a culture shock. He lives in the suburbs outside of Nashville. The types of kids at Brentwood aren’t what he’d be playing with at Miami is where the culture shock would be. He’s a Vandy, UT, UK type recruit and he’s not gonna fit in in our locker room.

We’re not talking a metro Tennessee kid from Memphis... Nashville is one of the exceptions to Metro kids we should be recruiting. Corn Elder and his cousin might be one of the last blue chip that ever seriously considers us from the area.. and the only reason his cousin is considering us is because of Corn.

Interesting perspective on the young man, thanks for sharing.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back