2021 4-star DT Taylor visits UM campus, gets to know Stroud

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Miami Palmetto 4-star DT Leonard Taylor is already one of the top defensive lineman prospects in both South Florida and the entire country, recently being named the #31 overall prospect in the 2021 class by 247Sports. Just this spring, Taylor has received offers from powerhouse programs such as Ohio State, Alabama, LSU, and Texas A&M. That is just the tip of the iceberg for Taylor, who is in contact with many more programs than have publicly offered him.

“I hear from Georgia and Clemson a lot too,” Taylor said. “I’m also going to be visiting the University of Auburn soon.”

One of the programs pursuing Taylor is the local Miami Hurricanes. Although the Canes already hold commitments from Miami Southwest 4-star Savion Collins and Booker T. Washington 3-star Anthony Hundley on the interior of the defensive line in 2021, UM still sees Taylor as an important piece they would like to add to the class. The 6-4 240 pound prospect got to visit the Canes last month during spring football and was able to start getting to know the some of the new staff members.

“It was good, I enjoyed it,” Taylor said of his UM visit. “We watched them practice and I talked to the new D-Line coach.”

Taylor was originally offered by Mark Richt’s staff back in November and had been starting to build a relationship with former D-Line coach Jess Simpson. Simpson has since left the program for the NFL and Manny Diaz brought in Todd Stroud to lead the D-Line back in March.

Taylor’s impression of Stroud so far?

“He seems like a good person.”

Despite interest from the elites of college football, many believe Miami has an early advantage in securing Taylor’s commitment. Taylor has been a frequent visitor to UM’s campus since last fall and cites the environment cultivated by the staff as something has him intrigued at the possibility of joining the Miami program.

“The coaches really interest me and it feels like home every time I’m there.”

Taylor currently has no decision timeline he is looking to follow and will simply commit to his school of choice when he feels comfortable.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It's up to the kid and or his parents or handler. The bags coming his way and we can only hope his dedication to home is greater.

At least he didn't say Miami was his dream school, other than that not too much can be gleaned from the write up that is positive.

This kid may end up being the next in a long line of bag chasers from South Florida. I expect his top 5 will include Bama, UGA, Clemson, Auburn, and Miami (just to push to dollar value up).

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Well, lets hope we can at least sway them sometime in the Fall at some point. Long way to go here to just call this 13 months out. But Diaz and company have a lot of work to do to erase the bad taste that these 2021 kids have about us.

Not just the Palmetto kids but every kid in South Florida needs to be convinced that 6-7 isn't who we are anymore and we need to earn their respect back. We lost it last season and we deserved to lose it.

Out of all the sofla kids the last few years that were “must gets”, this is the absolute kid above all of them that we must absolutely keep.
More than Stevenson or Neal or even Jeudy.
For this school and this area and at that position it has to be him. We say it every year for kids down here but imo he’s the **** Neo of the ‘21 class.

Taylor is all Gaytor.

I don't have a problem with the staff continuing to recruit him at this point because it's still just early January & they have to do their due diligence, but when crootin' season comes around he'll sign with UF unless they get swooped by another SEC school.
I don’t know about that.

Advertisement
Back