2020 STA OT Dumervil discusses his recent Miami visit, upcoming junior season

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 St. Thomas Aquinas OT Marcus Dumervil has picked up 16 FBS offers before his junior season, including from Ohio State, LSU, Florida, and Michigan. It wasn’t too long ago, though, that Dumervil received an offer from the staff over at hometown Miami.

“My coach relayed that down to me, I was excited,” Dumervil said of his Canes offer.

Dumervil, who lists himself at 6’6” and 295 pounds, says none of his offers are coming after him too hard right now, but Miami offensive line coach Stacy Searels is one who’s made an early impression.

“Yeah, the O-Line coach and I spent time together when I went down and visited,” Dumervil said.

Speaking of his visit, Dumervil made a trip to check out Miami’s campus 2 weekends ago with family and spent time watching the Virginia Tech-Miami basketball game. Dumervil was also joined by 2019 target Khris Bogle and Surge19 commits Denzel Daxon and Samuel Brooks, who committed to coaches after the game.

“We just hung out, went to the basketball game,” Dumervil said. “I was with my parents. I was with a couple other recruits, Bogle, and some others. I don’t know all the guys names.”

On the visit, Dumervil learned more about Miami beyond what they have to offer on the football field. It’s UM’s academic programs that seem to have piqued the rising junior’s interest.

“Right now, I know they have a great law program down there and that’s kind of what I want to major in,” Dumervil said.

Unlike some St. Thomas players that transfer into the program in the middle of their high school careers, Dumervil has spent both of his high school years with the Raiders. While STA did not win a state title last season, Dumervil is optimistic for the future of the program.

“We didn’t achieve our ultimate goal, but as a whole, we played great,” Dumervil said. “We have great coaches, coach Harriott, coach Smith. They’ve built a great program and they’re leading us in the right direction.”

Expanding further, Dumervil feels the rigors of going against top competition in practice all the time at St. Thomas has helped him to prepare for the next level.

“We come out every day and compete,” said Dumervil of the STA program. “Our model is ‘iron sharpens iron.’”

While he’s not going to rush his recruitment and has no plans for a decision anytime soon, the educational programs a school can offer Dumervil will likely be a prime factor in his ultimate choice.

“I’m just excited about the whole process. I don’t have any top 5 or anything like that,” Dumervil said. “The support system (is important in my decision). Academics is always first… and a great football team.”

Advertisement
I know he was only a Soph but he just 1/2 asses it too much especially on the OL. Way better suited for the DL but he will need someone to light a fire under that *** IMO

Another local stud!! With that size he's definitely someone, I'm expecting big things from moving forward..

Advertisement
I thought we was recruiting him as a DL, either way he’s a keeper

Also Stafen wassup with his teammate #77 Marlon Martinez? He looks like the better OL prospect, are we on him too?

I thought we was recruiting him as a DL, either way he’s a keeper

Also Stafen wassup with his teammate #77 Marlon Martinez? He looks like the better OL prospect, are we on him too?

As of now, no, I haven't heard any Miami chatter on him. Still plenty of time for him though. He's got a nice offer sheet for a sophomore (LSU, Louisville, Indiana, Syracuse). Will be interesting to see how he develops.

As of now, no, I haven't heard any Miami chatter on him. Still plenty of time for him though. He's got a nice offer sheet for a sophomore (LSU, Louisville, Indiana, Syracuse). Will be interesting to see how he develops.

Thanks for responding.. Marlon is a great kid, i actually know him personally because he’s originally from the same town I went to HS at in NJ. He had the opportunity to go to big time schools like Don Bosco and a list of others out of 8th grade. Mom ended up moving to Florida and he started as a sophomore at STA so it worked out for him. Hopefully we offer soon cause the kid just gets better and better over time

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back