2020 Spring Practice Summary - 3/2

Advertisement
I don't care about optics. I don't care about the "message it would send". I'd respect Manny so much more if he named King the starter yesterday. Miss me with all this competition crap. It gets so old. The fact is the guys already on the roster haven't got the job done which forced the coaches to go with an outside hire. Don't waste reps on a meaningless competition.

Agreed. The guy literally moved camp so that King can participate on day 1 but is allowing others to take reps from him? Such a Diaz thing to do.

I already know Carter is gunna be the new Robert Knowles. No matter how much better Hall and Bolden are, Carter will probably play more than both.

Also Ragone better not be in for any reason other than injuries this year. Diaz and Baker are our LB coaches (Patke pretty much is too). And if they can't get the ******* lbs to play at a higher level than a walk on or they play him a lot anyways just like they did Knowles... Like what other evidence to you need they're bad coaches.
bro what this statement makes no sense. The coaches jobs isnt to get anybody playing at a higher level than anyone specific its to get the whole team to play atg a higher level. I doubt Ragone is actually better than our scholarship backers but arguing that a coach is bad because a walk on is playing at a higher level than a scholarship player just doesnt make sense to me. Maybe the walk on is just more hungry. You see cases of walk ons making it all the time.

Which makes it alarming.
Thats not what Ive heard. Peyton supposedly was really good through spring when they had only like half the playbook installed. Took a step back when everything else was thrown at him in the summer and fall.

We often confuse a guy looking really good in drills with being ready to play. Skill is just half the equation.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He’s far from slow , and you’ll see that this season.

No, he is not CFB WR fast, that's always been his knock. I loved his HS film for his hands/route running, but he was a possession WR even in HS and when he camped he was an electronic 4.74. Speed is not the end all, but he us by no means a burner. He can be Tyler Boyd type WR, and I will take that all day, but he is not a speed demon by any means. Quicker than he is fast, and that's OK.

bro what this statement makes no sense. The coaches jobs isnt to get anybody playing at a higher level than anyone specific its to get the whole team to play atg a higher level. I doubt Ragone is actually better than our scholarship backers but arguing that a coach is bad because a walk on is playing at a higher level than a scholarship player just doesnt make sense to me. Maybe the walk on is just more hungry. You see cases of walk ons making it all the time.

Probably rewarding him from offseason workouts/knows the playbook compared to the young guys.

No, he is not CFB WR fast, that's always been his knock. I loved his HS film for his hands/route running, but he was a possession WR even in HS and when he camped he was an electronic 4.74. Speed is not the end all, but he us by no means a burner. He can be Tyler Boyd type WR, and I will take that all day, but he is not a speed demon by any means. Quicker than he is fast, and that's OK.
I watched several of his games in person during his senior year, and he is definitely way more than just a possession receiver. Also, to say that he is not fast enough for college football, may be one of the most absurd takes I've seen on this site. He is a complete receiver, who has a nice burst out of his breaks, fluid change of direction, and can get behind the defense due to his combination of exceptional route running, as well as long strides. Add in the fact that he flat out bullies CB's can can high point the ball with the best of them, makes him a phenomenal weapon.

.... Add in the fact that he flat out bullies CB's can can high point the ball with the best of them, makes him a phenomenal weapon.

Good overview. And I hope this last part above continues into college. When is the last time we had a wide receiver that fought for the ball like a hungry dog and bullied people for the reception (or from the interception...50/50 balls were more like 70/30 for the other team)

Advertisement
There’s footage from today of all the QBs throwing next to each other, although hitting different guys running different routes. TVD had a quicker release and more spin/zip on a few of those passes. Love how he seems to favor Pope as well. King throws a pretty deep ball too which caught me a little off guard.

Good overview. And I hope this last part above continues into college. When is the last time we had a wide receiver that fought for the ball like a hungry dog and bullied people for the reception (or from the interception...50/50 balls were more like 70/30 for the other team)
Exactly. I'm too lazy to find the post from a couple of years ago, but after watching him in person, I stated that my biggest take away from his performance, was the fact that he was a flat out bully and made very good CB's look pedestrian. He played against some very good competition here in Jax, and was clearly the offensive MVP for the city, in my opinion.

Advertisement
Thats not what Ive heard. Peyton supposedly was really good through spring when they had only like half the playbook installed. Took a step back when everything else was thrown at him in the summer and fall.

We often confuse a guy looking really good in drills with being ready to play. Skill is just half the equation.

I’ll take @Cribby word for it. Kid should have seen the field more than he did. Playbook excuse gets old.

Electronice 4.74.... he is not "fast" bt CFB WR standards, sorry to hurt your feelings with facts. He can be a good WR (I gave Tyler Boyd comparison) but he is not the burner some of you fools seem to think.

Advertisement
Back