500​
Christopher Sparber
C​
6-0​
205​
R R​
Red Bank CatholicLincroft
NJ​

Here's the class as it stands, plus there are two top-75 Juco recruits, LHP/OF Michael Rosario and RHP Jordan Dubberly.

On paper, this looks as good as our 2013 (Collins, Abreu, etc) and 2017 (current Jrs) classes. And it could be our best since 2006 depending on how the MLB draft shakes out. Don't your hopes up on Rosario, Mederos, and Morales though. All 3 are very likely Day 1 picks

My concern with this class is that it’s both top and bottom heavy. I generally use the 101-499 range of the PG rankings as the talent/signability sweet spot, and 2/3 of this class is outside that. That makes it crucial we get those guys currently rated in the 70s. Last year’s class may not work out for other reasons, but 2/3 of that class was in that range and we got almost everyone to campus.

Having lost Eskew and Hall plus our weekend rotation and entire lineup sans Del being draft eligible, I’m a little concerned we may take a sizable step back in 2021.

My concern with this class is that it’s both top and bottom heavy. I generally use the 101-499 range of the PG rankings as the talent/signability sweet spot, and 2/3 of this class is outside that. That makes it crucial we get those guys currently rated in the 70s. Last year’s class may not work out for other reasons, but 2/3 of that class was in that range and we got almost everyone to campus.

Having lost Eskew and Hall plus our weekend rotation and entire lineup sans Del being draft eligible, I’m a little concerned we may take a sizable step back in 2021.

The concern is definitely with the pitching. We really need Fairweather and Rodriguez to make it here and with Rodriguez being a rising prospect that's no longer a guarantee. Going to need to develop the current freshmen and bring in a couple more Juco arms because we're going to lose at least 2 of those top-4 pitching recruits.

The position player talent and depth seems elite though. Morales, Infante, Born, Perez, Ortiz, Ferraro, Kayfus, and Izzara are all in the top-500 of Fangraphs draft board (compared to just Hall among last years position players). And in their recap of our class Baseball America singled out Pitelli and Espinal as guys they especially like as under the radar talents. Of those 10 I think we could bring in 8-9, so hopefully that will help us re-load pretty quickly there

Advertisement

Anyone know if DiMare is receptive to bringing Eskew back next year, if his departure truly wasn't voluntary?

Advertisement
Adam Frank is potentially a really solid pickup given our need to replace most of the lineup. He played at Fairleigh ****ininson U last year and hit .363, including .404 in conference. Obviously that's against weak competition. But then he played in the Northwoods League this past summer and was an All-Star there, hitting .349 with 10 HR and 19 SB, which is a lot better than guys like Rivera and Jenkins did in the same league

Perfect Game Overall Draft Top 300 (Dec 10)
45. Zamora
55 Cecconi
60 Mederos
70 McMahon
72 Alejandro Rosario
76 Morales
91 Infante
126 Rodriguez
154 Kayfus
168 Toral
176 Gil

Don't get too fixated on PG rankings (high school rankings). Their ranking system has some flaws in it(not pro scouts ranking players or grading them out at events). Have to go by watching these guys play live. A lot of the rankings are based off showcases that don't tell you a ton, coaches want to see in-game application of their skill set. Not taking away the list you mentioned, but more so when looking at kids ranked 'lower', usually means they haven't gone to a ton of the showcases, doesn't mean they cannot play. Had a kid not really ranked and is throwing 95 as a freshman right now.

Advertisement
Don't get too fixated on PG rankings (high school rankings). Their ranking system has some flaws in it(not pro scouts ranking players or grading them out at events). Have to go by watching these guys play live. A lot of the rankings are based off showcases that don't tell you a ton, coaches want to see in-game application of their skill set. Not taking away the list you mentioned, but more so when looking at kids ranked 'lower', usually means they haven't gone to a ton of the showcases, doesn't mean they cannot play. Had a kid not really ranked and is throwing 95 as a freshman right now.

I think it's ironic that you rallied against the idea of showcases in favor of in-game application of skills, then came back with a story about someone throwing 95. 95 is cool, but is he getting outs and winning games?

actually he is, he is a Freshman right now in college, but was untouchable in the fall. I understand your point, and guess I didn't clearly state why I put that last anecdote in there. I included what I did based on what I have learned from college coaches and was merely making a point that recruiting rankings don't mean much.

Advertisement
His dad is a big money guy, got Archbishop McCarthy in trouble a few years ago.

Kid has to be a walk on
Dad ran MVP travel team. Was funded by ARod who his dad went to Westminster with. Yo Yo played with them as well as bunch of others Miami’s recruiting. Team had like 8 different unis at 10U age. My team from Tampa would play against them at different tourneys. Crazy talent

Advertisement
Back