2020 NFL Draft Profile: WR Jeff Thomas

View as article
The guy who should be getting much love is KJ Osborn. He’s a much better WR and football player than JT4. Oh yeah, he ran a 4.48 to JT4’s “elite speed” 4.45 40 at the combine. Meanwhile, KJ weighs an extra 20 plus pounds. KJ was a leader in the locker room and on the field. His production in only one year as a Cane speaks for itself. He had some HUGE tough catches against FSU. Note how he took JT4’s job as a punt returner.
I was as high on JT4 as anybody but he didn’t live up to his billing. It wasn’t even close. I agree with better coaching he would’ve been more productive but stop with the potential BS. The fact is KJ was better at UM. JT4 will be a 7th round flyer at best. JT4 won’t make a roster unless it’s the perfect situation with his attitude. KJ’s floor is to have a Hurns type career whether or not he gets drafted. He’s a better football player than Bubba.

Advertisement
Off the field concerns will cloud the discussion around him, but this Miami Hurricane is looking to prove he can still reach his vast potential.

Jeff Thomas’ tumultuous career at UM began in 2017, after the state of Illinois’ top recruit chose Miami for his college home. He made an impact on the Canes from Day 1, acting as UM’s primary kick returner and first receiver in off the bench as a freshman, becoming a starter by season’s end. Thomas began his 2018 season strong by burning one of the best secondaries in the country in LSU for 5 catches and 132 yards, and, at that point, many pegged him as the next UM great at wide receiver.

However, Thomas’ sophomore season ended abruptly when he left the team for undisclosed reasons and Mark Richt did not allow him to come back. When Manny Diaz took over the program in 2019, Thomas was invited back to the team, but his issues resurfaced as a junior; Thomas got suspended for 2 games and was invisible in others (31-379-3 line in 2019). Compared to how he started his career, Thomas finished his Miami tenure with a disappointing 83 catches for 1,316 yards and 8 TD’s in 34 games before declaring early for the NFL.

Pre-Draft Measurables

Height
: 5’9”

Weight: 170 pounds

Arms: 30 3/8”

Hands: 8 3/8”

Strengths

Explosive Athletic Ability

Thomas is lightning in a bottle and can be a highly explosive playmaker when he gets loose. Moves with an extra gear than most players on the field. Can blow the top off a defense as a vertical threat or beat his man in a phone booth with great short-area quickness. Creates YAC easily as a strong open-field runner.

Ball Tracking

Shows ability to make contested catches despite a lack of size. Great at contorting his body and making adjustments mid-air. Impressive going up and over defenders and demonstrates a high level of concentration to lock onto the ball at its highest point.

Weaknesses

Character Concerns

It’s the elephant in the room for Thomas and a huge concern when looking to project his future. Can be a headache for coaches to manage day-to-day. A history of quitting his team dating back to high school. Had a clear chance in 2019 to learn from his past mistakes as a sophomore, yet got himself suspended as a junior.

Physicality

Even disregarding his height, Thomas doesn’t have a stout build to him. High-IQ defenders can easily drive through him to disrupt his catch process. Not a hand-fighter at the line and can be taken out of the game by a physical corner; was a disappearing act for way too many of his games at the college level. Needs to work on his press release.

Draft Projection: 5th-7th round

There’s no doubt that some teams have already scratched Thomas’ name from their draft boards due to his history of well-documented locker room problems. From an anonymous NFC scout: "Manny (Diaz) recruited him to come back to the program and I'm sure he regrets it now. He has talent but not enough to put up with all the other crap that comes with him." By that same token, all it takes is one team to see past his issues and be tempted by his ceiling. Despite his lack of overall production at the college level, Thomas tested well at the combine, and there aren’t many players that can make the splash plays he can available in the late rounds. An extra “pro” for him is that Thomas shows potential on special teams as a return man, giving him another avenue to stick on a roster. Expect a team to pull the trigger on Thomas sometime during Day 3.
As a diehard Philadelphia Eagles fan, JT4, with the exception of college production, is DeSean Jackson. He has the same measurables and off the field issues that DeSean had. Both grew up in very rough neighborhoods. DeSean ran a faster 40 at the combine, but I think JT4 is much faster than the mediocre time he ran in Indy.

If JT4 can get his head right, he could be a steal in the late rounds or undrafted free agent. He's a kid that could become a household name or wash out and never heard from again.

Hoping for the best from him.

Off the field concerns will cloud the discussion around him, but this Miami Hurricane is looking to prove he can still reach his vast potential.

Jeff Thomas’ tumultuous career at UM began in 2017, after the state of Illinois’ top recruit chose Miami for his college home. He made an impact on the Canes from Day 1, acting as UM’s primary kick returner and first receiver in off the bench as a freshman, becoming a starter by season’s end. Thomas began his 2018 season strong by burning one of the best secondaries in the country in LSU for 5 catches and 132 yards, and, at that point, many pegged him as the next UM great at wide receiver.

However, Thomas’ sophomore season ended abruptly when he left the team for undisclosed reasons and Mark Richt did not allow him to come back. When Manny Diaz took over the program in 2019, Thomas was invited back to the team, but his issues resurfaced as a junior; Thomas got suspended for 2 games and was invisible in others (31-379-3 line in 2019). Compared to how he started his career, Thomas finished his Miami tenure with a disappointing 83 catches for 1,316 yards and 8 TD’s in 34 games before declaring early for the NFL.

Pre-Draft Measurables

Height
: 5’9”

Weight: 170 pounds

Arms: 30 3/8”

Hands: 8 3/8”

Strengths

Explosive Athletic Ability

Thomas is lightning in a bottle and can be a highly explosive playmaker when he gets loose. Moves with an extra gear than most players on the field. Can blow the top off a defense as a vertical threat or beat his man in a phone booth with great short-area quickness. Creates YAC easily as a strong open-field runner.

Ball Tracking

Shows ability to make contested catches despite a lack of size. Great at contorting his body and making adjustments mid-air. Impressive going up and over defenders and demonstrates a high level of concentration to lock onto the ball at its highest point.

Weaknesses

Character Concerns

It’s the elephant in the room for Thomas and a huge concern when looking to project his future. Can be a headache for coaches to manage day-to-day. A history of quitting his team dating back to high school. Had a clear chance in 2019 to learn from his past mistakes as a sophomore, yet got himself suspended as a junior.

Physicality

Even disregarding his height, Thomas doesn’t have a stout build to him. High-IQ defenders can easily drive through him to disrupt his catch process. Not a hand-fighter at the line and can be taken out of the game by a physical corner; was a disappearing act for way too many of his games at the college level. Needs to work on his press release.

Draft Projection: 5th-7th round

There’s no doubt that some teams have already scratched Thomas’ name from their draft boards due to his history of well-documented locker room problems. From an anonymous NFC scout: "Manny (Diaz) recruited him to come back to the program and I'm sure he regrets it now. He has talent but not enough to put up with all the other crap that comes with him." By that same token, all it takes is one team to see past his issues and be tempted by his ceiling. Despite his lack of overall production at the college level, Thomas tested well at the combine, and there aren’t many players that can make the splash plays he can available in the late rounds. An extra “pro” for him is that Thomas shows potential on special teams as a return man, giving him another avenue to stick on a roster. Expect a team to pull the trigger on Thomas sometime during Day 3.
Manny didn’t regret it. He always stood by it. Manny was trying to keep the kid off the street.

Was never as good on special teams as a return man as we all thought he would be. People trashed Berrios, but he was 500x better than Thomas on returns.

Advertisement
Was never as good on special teams as a return man as we all thought he would be. People trashed Berrios, but he was 500x better than Thomas on returns.
Doesn't help when your blocking has been absolute ****. I trusted Berrios more than Thomas but Thomas broke some nice returns off. Let's not forget the two returns against Va Tech and the punt return call back against FIU in 2018 because of Nesta's dumbass.

The guy who should be getting much love is KJ Osborn. He’s a much better WR and football player than JT4. Oh yeah, he ran a 4.48 to JT4’s “elite speed” 4.45 40 at the combine. Meanwhile, KJ weighs an extra 20 plus pounds. KJ was a leader in the locker room and on the field. His production in only one year as a Cane speaks for itself. He had some HUGE tough catches against FSU. Note how he took JT4’s job as a punt returner.
I was as high on JT4 as anybody but he didn’t live up to his billing. It wasn’t even close. I agree with better coaching he would’ve been more productive but stop with the potential BS. The fact is KJ was better at UM. JT4 will be a 7th round flyer at best. JT4 won’t make a roster unless it’s the perfect situation with his attitude. KJ’s floor is to have a Hurns type career whether or not he gets drafted. He’s a better football player than Bubba.
What’s the hate for ? You don’t have to knock Thomas to praise Osborn that’s that weird sh*t. Wish him luck and move the fvck on man lol

Advertisement
You slapdicks need to get over this fixation of trashing the **** out of Thomas whenever his name is brought up. Move the **** on and focus on someone else to bash.
It happens every season. Think it started with Calais Campbell or Lamar Miller.. I know Duke Johnson and Brad Kaaya were also part of that club. Usually its a talented player who most had high aspirations for but couldnt stop our yearly crappy season. Since we have sucked for soo long they need to blame someone dammit!

Jeff is definitely a unique one tho because he left team then came back and he is a knucklehead of the highest degree. Hope he gets it together because he has talent like those other guys but his mental might hold him back from making a kings ransom playing a kids game

Stop it....Our STs blocking...and overall play was Atrocious...and has been for 16yrs
Mel's Dinner Bernstein....You can take your Boring comment....and shove it up your ******....Only a Faqquit...Troll or Both would respond like that....Only a F-ing Moron would think our STs play was anything but what I stated...

What’s the hate for ? You don’t have to knock Thomas to praise Osborn that’s that weird sh*t. Wish him luck and move the fvck on man lol
No hate. I wish JT4 the best. I’m hoping he just hated school and will make many checks in the league. He has all the God given talent. None of this changes the fact he was lazy at UM. The kid got slower from HS to college without gaining much weight. IMO if he worked hard his floor was Roscoe and his ceiling was almost Santana. We all saw from the start JT4 had the ability to be special. That’s frustrating as all **** is what I’m saying man. It obviously frustrated the coaches since they brought on KJ to lead and mentor the room.
Now go pump more sunshine.

No hate. I wish JT4 the best. I’m hoping he just hated school and will make many checks in the league. He has all the God given talent. None of this changes the fact he was lazy at UM. The kid got slower from HS to college without gaining much weight. IMO if he worked hard his floor was Roscoe and his ceiling was almost Santana. We all saw from the start JT4 had the ability to be special. That’s frustrating as all **** is what I’m saying man. It obviously frustrated the coaches since they brought on KJ to lead and mentor the room.
Now go pump more sunshine.
Stop being weird, how is that “ pumping more sunshine” saying the constant need of hating on him is getting ridiculous? Some of y’all perspectives on here be out of pocket

Advertisement
Other than not being down with classes, morning workouts , taking plays off and walking through drills at practice , quitting the team during the season. Other than that he was a coaches dream.

But let’s make more excuses , three years wasn’t enough.

Talent has never been the issue .

Last edited:
If that ain’t speed I dont Know what is... that same secondary minus Derek stingley who just won that national championship he continuously shredded. I would Love for my bucs to target him on day 3 in the draft to be the Bucs 3rd receiver. Hope he gets his head screwed on straight but this is a talented kid no doubt

Crazy how much better JT4 was with Rosier. Honestly, with all the talk about our new offense and King, the kid might have just cost himself 100's of 1000s on draft day by getting out early

Crazy how much better JT4 was with Rosier. Honestly, with all the talk about our new offense and King, the kid might have just cost himself 100's of 1000s on draft day by getting out early
Imagine if Kaaya was around when JT4 was here

Advertisement
Would have loved to see him play in Lashlee's offense.

His talent was wasted in Richts/Enox's Pro style bro.
If Jeff had come back (and there's actually a 2020 CFB season)....in Lashlee's offense he could've gone as high as a late 1st or surefire 2nd rounder. 1 season of elite production and zero suspensions combined with his willingness to block would've easily made him a top 5 WR in the 2021 draft.

Would have loved to see him play in Lashlee's offense.

His talent was wasted in Richts/Enox's Pro style bro.

can't fight you on that one.

but he wasted as much of his own talent with a crap attitude and a 10 cent head, as the coaches did with a suboptimal system. so i'd call it even

Advertisement
Back