2020 NFL Draft Profile: RB DeeJay Dallas

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
DeeJay Dallas has been a Miami fan favorite since his days as a recruit. Dallas enrolled early back in January of 2017 and immediately started making waves. Deejay started his career as a receiver, but Mark Walton’s injury led to Dallas making the switch to running back. Whether it was his freshman year against Virginia Tech and Notre Dame, or his final season against Florida and Florida State, Dallas always made plays in the biggest games. Dallas’ only year as a starter, his junior year, saw him run for nearly 700 yards and eight touchdowns, with two more touchdowns as a receiver.

Pre-Draft Measurables

Height
: 5’10”

Weight: 217 pounds

Arms: 30 5/8”

Hands: 9 1/4”

Strengths

Versatility

As stated above, Dallas started his career at receiver. He also played QB in high school. This diverse skill set makes Dallas more of a threat. Dallas ran the ball well, caught the ball well out of the backfield, and was productive at wildcat quarterback throughout his career.

Slippery to tackle

One of the many areas Dallas improved in with time was his ability to break tackles and extend plays. Dallas used his special combination of strength and agility to get away from tacklers or gain yards after contact.

Weaknesses

Pass Protection

One of the areas where Dallas could improve the most is in pass protection. Often times, Dallas would aid a blocker without sensing another blitzer coming, and other times he simply got beat in protection due to poor form and technique.

Lacks Patience

Dallas often gets the ball and just goes without sensing a hole opening up or a cutback line appearing. Dallas also lacks patience in pass protection.

Draft Projection: 5th round

In what is one of the deepest draft classes in years for running backs, Dallas may be a day 3 steal for one team. Dallas does not have elite athleticism or the career production numbers of other running backs in this class, but his versatility still makes him a unique prospect. Although he did not have the career production as some of his peers, his only year as the starter was cut short thanks to an injury. Due to the sheer amount of talented running backs in this year's class, Dallas will be picked somewhere on day 3.

Advertisement
I love the kid but not sure he makes it in NFL. Had he gotten real good at pass protection then his other skills would fir nice into a lot of today's offenses. I think Butch or JJ would have switched him to D at CB or OLB and that would have worked out better for him. Good luck to him. Great kid, solid player and true Cane.

I love the kid but not sure he makes it in NFL. Had he gotten real good at pass protection then his other skills would fir nice into a lot of today's offenses. I think Butch or JJ would have switched him to D at CB or OLB and that would have worked out better for him. Good luck to him. Great kid, solid player and true Cane.

Don’t see how he does not make it In the nfl. Especially with his special teams ability

Advertisement
When you get to thinking about it, DJ Dallas is better than a lot of second string backs in the NFL.

Interesting, DJ Dallas might end up doing more for the University when he leaves than when he was a student.

When you get to thinking about it, DJ Dallas is better than a lot of second string backs in the NFL.

Interesting, DJ Dallas might end up doing more for the University when he leaves than when he was a student.
Explain por favor

Agree, I thought 5th or 6th round grade. Had a solid combine and was pretty productive in spite of terrible offensive coaching and schemes. His intangibles and special teams play should ensure he gets a shot in the league.

Advertisement
WTF are you talking about? The most well respected analyst at NFL.com who gets interviews for GM jobs, DJ, said he’s the best pass blocking RB in the draft. Dallas is one helluva football player. He’s extremely rare in that he can get tough yards between the tackles on the goalline AND has great hands. He’s the ultimate 3rd down back.

DeeJay Dallas has been a Miami fan favorite since his days as a recruit. Dallas enrolled early back in January of 2017 and immediately started making waves. Deejay started his career as a receiver, but Mark Walton’s injury led to Dallas making the switch to running back. Whether it was his freshman year against Virginia Tech and Notre Dame, or his final season against Florida and Florida State, Dallas always made plays in the biggest games. Dallas’ only year as a starter, his junior year, saw him run for nearly 700 yards and eight touchdowns, with two more touchdowns as a receiver.

Pre-Draft Measurables

Height
: 5’10”

Weight: 217 pounds

Arms: 30 5/8”

Hands: 9 1/4”

Strengths

Versatility

As stated above, Dallas started his career at receiver. He also played QB in high school. This diverse skill set makes Dallas more of a threat. Dallas ran the ball well, caught the ball well out of the backfield, and was productive at wildcat quarterback throughout his career.

Slippery to tackle

One of the many areas Dallas improved in with time was his ability to break tackles and extend plays. Dallas used his special combination of strength and agility to get away from tacklers or gain yards after contact.

Weaknesses

Pass Protection

One of the areas where Dallas could improve the most is in pass protection. Often times, Dallas would aid a blocker without sensing another blitzer coming, and other times he simply got beat in protection due to poor form and technique.

Lacks Patience

Dallas often gets the ball and just goes without sensing a hole opening up or a cutback line appearing. Dallas also lacks patience in pass protection.

Draft Projection: 5th round

In what is one of the deepest draft classes in years for running backs, Dallas may be a day 3 steal for one team. Dallas does not have elite athleticism or the career production numbers of other running backs in this class, but his versatility still makes him a unique prospect. Although he did not have the career production as some of his peers, his only year as the starter was cut short thanks to an injury. Due to the sheer amount of talented running backs in this year's class, Dallas will be picked somewhere on day 3.

Daniel Jeremiah said he’s the best pass blocking RB in the draft.

Advertisement
WTF are you talking about? The most well respected analyst at NFL.com who gets interviews for GM jobs, DJ, said he’s the best pass blocking RB in the draft. Dallas is one helluva football player. He’s extremely rare in that he can get tough yards between the tackles on the goalline AND has great hands. He’s the ultimate 3rd down back.
I don't watch much sport talk stuff but I hope he is right. I love DJ. He and Homer were two of my favorites since since Duke. I hope I am completely wrong and the kid goes high and cashes many paychecks

I don't watch much sport talk stuff but I hope he is right. I love DJ. He and Homer were two of my favorites since since Duke. I hope I am completely wrong and the kid goes high and cashes many paychecks
Dallas will be a 3rd down back and special teamer for many years if he stays healthy. He’s not going to get drafted until day 3 most likely, but he will get drafted. Duke is on another level as a RB above Homer and Dallas. Homer is an elite special teams gunner though.

Advertisement
All purpose high character kid. His blocking and screen receiving ability alone should make him interesting to some teams. 5th round seems about right. I expect him to stick in the NFL if not start without injuries ahead of him. But Dallas is the type of guy who will get better over time due to his work ethic, so let's see where he's at 3-4 years from now. May be hearing his name a lot on Sundays by then. I hope so, because I'm a huge fan.

I think he's the best prospect we have this year.

Perhaps this is just a perception I have of DeeJay Dallas, but he's made more big boy runs for this team than anyone in recent memory...he had some angry af runs here where he knew he had to put the team on his back and did. Runs where he looks like he had a legitimate extra gear, hit the accelerator at the right time, made a player miss early on and muscles through a DB for a monster run in clutch moments...always moving forward. He's a dawg and there is a place for him in the NFL. I can not imagine a good RB coach in the league not looking at DeeJay Dallas and seeing an unfinished project he can't mold into a professional starter. If he gets a good coach, he can play for a few contracts. He's got upside in every aspect of the game and isn't close to maxing out.

Its running back and draft spot doesn't matter...its opportunity and fit that does. Dolphins and Buccaneers have publicly met with him. Both of those teams have also met with a ton of RBs that slot ahead of him in the draft. He might have a tough road ahead with a lot of competition, but I don't think he's scared of anyone. He'll be one of the hardest cuts a team will have to make in the worst case scenario...a player that your buddy is asking you if he should start him in his FLEX spot in Week 14 of the NFL season in the best case scenario.

He's a real one and I hope he gets all the riches.

Advertisement
Back