2020 NFL Draft Profile: DE Trevon Hill

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
This Miami Hurricanes’ one-year rental was a backup in 2019, but could have started on many other Power 5 programs’ D-Lines, and he is looking to convince an NFL team he’s worth taking a chance on.

Trevon Hill signed with Virginia Tech out of high school and, after a redshirt year, played in 30 games with 16 starts over the next three seasons, racking up 94 tackles, 20 TFL, and 11.5 sacks for the Hokies. Unfortunately, a halftime incident with a staffer mid-way through his junior season led to his dismissal from VT, and he ended up at Miami for his senior year. Hill was ruled eligible for 2019 days before fall camp started and struggled early on in the year both with his conditioning and earning time on a deep UM defensive line. Ultimately, Hill came on strong towards the end of the season and finished his final year of college with a productive line in a backup role at Miami (27 tackles, 9.5 for loss, 4.5 sacks in 12 games and 1 start), having one of his better games facing off against his old teammates at VT (3 tackles, sack, TFL).

Pre-Draft Measurables

Height
: 6’3”

Weight: 248 pounds

Arms: 32 3/8”

Hands: 9 1/4”

Strengths

Pass Rushing Skills

Productive rusher from either side of the line. Sports a good lean and dip on the edge. Above average pocket agility gives him the capability to get after mobile QB’s. Has shown a diverse toolbox of pass rushing moves through his career and can get it done in a variety of ways.

Change of Direction/Coverage

Hill shows reactive fluidity to alter his momentum quickly and make tackles for loss. Demonstrated the ability as a senior to drop into coverage and not look lost with good change of direction, helping to secure the flats and the short middle of the field in some cases.

Weaknesses

Physical Traits

Below average frame for an NFL-level defensive end, as he’s short on height and has burly hips. Lacks explosion and does not do a good job of converting his speed to power. Shows a deficit in play strength.

Run Defense

Too often gets washed out of the action on run plays. Struggles to get free when taking on blocks and he gets tangled up easily. Needs to improve his fundamentals in these areas and more consistently win matchups with tight ends and fullbacks.

Draft Projection: 6th round - UDFA

There were a segment of scouts that were high on Hill during his junior season at Virginia Tech and saw him as a potential 2nd or 3rd round pick, citing his pass rushing ability and tendency to create chaos in the pocket. Since then, though, his draft value has slid, beginning with getting kicked off the Hokies’ team in 2018, an average senior season at Miami, and then an underwhelming senior bowl performance. He could be looking at falling out of the draft completely and having to make a team the old-fashioned way as a UDFA, but Hill’s upside as a situational pass rusher in a pass-happy league could attract a team in the late rounds as well.

Advertisement
His testing was incomplete, but with his sample set, he tested like a non-NFL athlete. -2.0 sigma on 3sigmaathlete.

There were some on here who pounded the table for him saying his athletic traits were respectable, and they were not. His production was...ok, while he was here. I thought he was more of a role player at the college level from what I've seen. His testing was really really bad.

Maybe he offers a team something as a deep developmental prospect. I don't know if he's going to get drafted...if he does its going to be late...but I don't see him having a significant NFL career. Maybe he hangs around for a few years on and off a few teams practice squads. Plays a bit late in a few seasons...but, I don't see much there. He's got an athletic profile that is similar to Al Quadin Muhammad and honestly, he's probably AQM after taxes in Chicago as a prospect.

Meh. Good luck.

Tested well below what I thought he would do. Probably gets picked mid day 3. He does have an explosive getoff so he does looks more explosive than he obviously test and he absolutely has pass rushing traits . Trevon hill Plays hard so a team should like that

Think he will go 6th or 7th round. Expect Garvin, Dallas, Osborn, Hill, Shaq, and maybe Thomas to all go rounds 5-7.

Advertisement

Signed in the CFL for this year. Good spot hopefully he can earn some good PT.

Advertisement
Back