2020 Linebackers

I have to see it with jennings. Never been impressed by him at all. Slow and stiff. And i haven't said brooks a stud. He is athletic and for a guy just learning LB it sounds like he has impressed because diaz has hyped him too.
Nah brooks is the real deal athletically. I can’t remember the last good UM LB that wasn’t stiff and slow. Said it for DP, Colin and shaq all all conference fringe AA players if the team was more successful. The you had Spence who didn’t take on blocks well enough. That was a thing lol..I just hope we can get Joyner, steed and Jennings back healthy for spring

Advertisement
You guys are having delusions of grandeur with all this Flowe talk...

But with that said, I'm not as worried about the LB group for next year, I think we add in an infusion of speed that is much needed.

Bet the house on Sam Brooks, you foolies sleeping on that kid are out of your minds, he's cut from a different cloth, he'll have a Redshirt Freshman season similar to what Gurvan Hall & Rousseau have done in their Red Frosh seasons this year. You can't teach his combination of size, speed, violent tackling ability & natural instincts, whether at Mike or Will backer he's going to ball, bank on that.

Huff has very good upside as well, but he got in late August & was academic Redshirt, he hasn't gone through a full Spring/Fall camp yet so I think the staff will take it their time & slowly develop him in getting on the field. His opportunities will come on Special teams & if the upperclassmen ahead of him aren't healthy still.

Joyner will be a good one IMO, I think he'll provide solid depth. Jennings can be a downhill thumper at Mike LB but he's not really fast, he's kinda like Shaq but smaller in build (his younger brother the 2021 LB is better). And I loved Steed as a player coming out of Central, but those 2 very serious knee injuries have rendered him as a player you can't really expect to rely on. I'm not saying he can't comeback fully healthy & get a shot, I'm just saying when you tear up your kness like that for basically 2-3 years in a row it's extremely difficult to comeback & play LB at a high level.

Among the incoming TF LB's, Tirek Austin-Cave is the one with the most upside & the fact he'll be an EE will give a good chance to play as a backup. He's got great instincts, good sideline to sideline speed & is an all around tough kid, he'll thrive in this Defense once he gets in the S&C program.

I hope we can flip Hyppolite, he's the best LB in the state for the 2020 class, is a legit 4.5 speedster & is physically built like Tavares Gooden. That kid fits perfect in this scheme at Will or Sam backer, we need to put the full court press on & get him signed.

Also, expect us to possibly hit the Portal for another LB this offseason, just for depth.
I agree with all this. I’m not worried about Linebacker tbh as far as talent wise. But as far as the instincts side, which I don’t think fans give shaq n Pinckney enough credit for, that will be missed

FA419D59-DFCE-4E84-A281-A014272287BA.jpeg

🤫

Last edited:
A more athletic group. If the young guys play average I hope our DL and DB experience can mask the inexperience at LB.

Not overly concerned just pray we don't have another rash of injuries at the position...and we need to recruit more.

Losing Finley is huge. I suppose Frierson gets the first nod as starter at striker.

Advertisement
My impression is that McCloud might move to the middle to replace Shaq.

If so, flanking him would be a group of LBs and Strikers composed of: Brooks, Huff, Joyner, Steed, Jennings, Frierson and the incoming freshmen. Good be be good, but not real experienced.

Sign Justin Flowe (visiting from Cali this weekend) and you can pencil him in the middle immediately.
Jennings is a MLB all the way...a thumper with average speed. Will be McCloud 1, Jennings 2 at MLB

You guys are having delusions of grandeur with all this Flowe talk...

But with that said, I'm not as worried about the LB group for next year, I think we add in an infusion of speed that is much needed.

Bet the house on Sam Brooks, you foolies sleeping on that kid are out of your minds, he's cut from a different cloth, he'll have a Redshirt Freshman season similar to what Gurvan Hall & Rousseau have done in their Red Frosh seasons this year. You can't teach his combination of size, speed, violent tackling ability & natural instincts, whether at Mike or Will backer he's going to ball, bank on that.

Huff has very good upside as well, but he got in late August & was academic Redshirt, he hasn't gone through a full Spring/Fall camp yet so I think the staff will take it their time & slowly develop him in getting on the field. His opportunities will come on Special teams & if the upperclassmen ahead of him aren't healthy still.

Joyner will be a good one IMO, I think he'll provide solid depth. Jennings can be a downhill thumper at Mike LB but he's not really fast, he's kinda like Shaq but smaller in build (his younger brother the 2021 LB is better). And I loved Steed as a player coming out of Central, but those 2 very serious knee injuries have rendered him as a player you can't really expect to rely on. I'm not saying he can't comeback fully healthy & get a shot, I'm just saying when you tear up your kness like that for basically 2-3 years in a row it's extremely difficult to comeback & play LB at a high level.

Among the incoming TF LB's, Tirek Austin-Cave is the one with the most upside & the fact he'll be an EE will give a good chance to play as a backup. He's got great instincts, good sideline to sideline speed & is an all around tough kid, he'll thrive in this Defense once he gets in the S&C program.

I hope we can flip Hyppolite, he's the best LB in the state for the 2020 class, is a legit 4.5 speedster & is physically built like Tavares Gooden. That kid fits perfect in this scheme at Will or Sam backer, we need to put the full court press on & get him signed.

Also, expect us to possibly hit the Portal for another LB this offseason, just for depth.
I agree, but I'm pretty sure the guys that are not really planning to play are on a different plan and are being worked a lot more physical work than the other guys

Advertisement
Flowe has been a Miami fan his whole life. He learned how to play LB watching his favorite player Rohan Marley.
This was all explained on a Kelvin Harris podcast and he met Rohan on a visit.

To me I think Flowe is the most important recruit we are after. Not only he is a position of need but a recruit that can make immediate impact. Everything else is just an icing on the cake. Hope we put on a show this weekend.

Go Canes!
You sell him on helping a D become a top 5 defense and sell him on being the missing piece. I can only imagine how great our D will be next season.

Advertisement
This is the 4th year Diaz has been here. They have had to replace every position with new players and they have done it each time. I don't count on FR to save us, the guys backing up and redshirting needs to do the job. If a FR is ready, that's a bonus. Our team will be back when we coach up the players we have and not rely on true freshmen. When Bama or Clemson etc have to play true FR, you see the problems. Only certain special ones are immediately ready especially certain positions. LB, OL, QB.

Mathis is no longer enrolling early & I think Cave is gonna be moved to the Will spot. I hope Joyner can get back on the field for some PT but maybe the staff is trying to secure a redshirt. McCloud, Brooks, Huff, and Joyner is a good core. Hard to rely on jennings & steed but I hope they stay healthy. Flagg & Cave will compete and be in the mix as early enrollees.

Advertisement
Man I just want some good depth, no more having one guy play 80 plays and hAving Walkons taking meaningful snaps.

If Flowe comes he’s starting unless he was a Arthur Brown in HS, meaning just bigger faster than everyone else and wasn’t taught technique or the position correctly..this the same man who started 3 true freshman LBs with no hesitation
From his highlight videos he is a beast. His tackling needs some work. He was a decent running back as well.

Advertisement
Back