2020 Linebackers

Hstokes1447

Junior
If Zach McCloud does not play another game this season and he is able to redshirt, this team will be in great shape at LB next season. We will return 3 upperclassmen from injury and all of the current committed LB’s will enroll early.

Returning (In order by class not projected depth)

WILL
Zach McCloud RSR 4.5 forty
Waynmon Steed RJR 4.6 forty
Avery Huff RFR

MLB
Bradley Jennings RJR
Patrick Joyner RSO
Sam Brooks SO 4.5 forty

Incoming
Tirek Austin-Cave EE, projects as a MLB
6-1, 203, 4.7 forty, 4.5 shuttle

AJ Mathis EE, projects as a WILL
6-1, 210

Corey Flagg EE, projects as a MLB
5-10, 223, 4.93 forty, 4.43 shuttle
(this is an impressive shuttle time and it makes me think that his 40 time is more of a technique issue. The results of this kid just not knowing the proper way to run the 40, and not a pure speed thing)

Targets
Justin Flowe EE, projects as a MLB
6-2, 225, 4.68 forty, 4.38 shuttle

Ruben Hyppolite II EE, projects as a WILL
6-0, 223, 4.54 forty, 4.40 shuttle

If the injured guys can return and stay healthy for 2020 then add in the incoming guys and this team should be in great hands at LB for years to come. I would be over the moon if this staff somehow flips Hyppolite (we need that kind of speed at LB). If these few things can go our way this team will finally have championship level depth at the position.

With what’s returning on the defensive line, this front seven should be deep, experienced, fast, and dominate in 2020.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Depth isn't about just numbers. Depth is having guys that can come in and play. There are still questions there. Can jennings play? How will steed look after all the knee injuries? Can joyner contribute? Are the youngins ready?

My impression is that McCloud might move to the middle to replace Shaq.

If so, flanking him would be a group of LBs and Strikers composed of: Brooks, Huff, Joyner, Steed, Jennings, Frierson and the incoming freshmen. Good be be good, but not real experienced.

Sign Justin Flowe (visiting from Cali this weekend) and you can pencil him in the middle immediately.

With only 3-4 games left, shouldn't Joyner be able to see the field and get some experience this year?

I thought he suffered a minor fracture and should be close to 100% by now

Advertisement
Not so fast. Some nice prospects on paper, but the only one who's seen the field is McCloud and he lost playing time.

Every single year posters like you talk about how guys haven’t done anything and how they only look good on paper. This was said about Willis, Finley, Rousseau, and Nesta.

This is college football 85% of the depth on every team in the country doesn’t have significant game experience.

But look at this roster and you have multiple guys with game experience and experience in this system from being on the team for several years.

If flowe comes you have everyone else learn other positions but knowing this staff he would come and we would shirt him

Advertisement
Depth isn't about just numbers. Depth is having guys that can come in and play. There are still questions there. Can jennings play? How will steed look after all the knee injuries? Can joyner contribute? Are the youngins ready?
Jennings can play. Steed idk. Joyner will contribute. Huff and Brooks are physical freaks at LB. Diaz, Baker and patke about to earn a check this offseason tho. Shaq and pink instincts made a lot of plays for us. Fan love to point the 7 or so open field shaq didn’t make but forget about the many times he stoned a guy in the whole, including Linemen and backs

If flowe comes you have everyone else learn other positions but knowing this staff he would come and we would shirt him
If Flowe comes he’s starting unless he was a Arthur Brown in HS, meaning just bigger faster than everyone else and wasn’t taught technique or the position correctly..this the same man who started 3 true freshman LBs with no hesitation

Jennings can play. Steed idk. Joyner will contribute. Huff and Brooks are physical freaks at LB. Diaz, Baker and patke about to earn a check this offseason tho. Shaq and pink instincts made a lot of plays for us. Fan love to point the 7 or so open field shaq didn’t make but forget about the many times he stoned a guy in the whole, including Linemen and backs
How do you know jennings can play? He really hasn't played in game and i wasn't that impressed by him coming out of hs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If Flowe comes he’s starting unless he was a Arthur Brown in HS, meaning just bigger faster than everyone else and wasn’t taught technique or the position correctly..this the same man who started 3 true freshman LBs with no hesitation
Flowe is much more polished but not as fast.

The same way some know Sam Brooks a stud rn lol..44 can play
I have to see it with jennings. Never been impressed by him at all. Slow and stiff. And i haven't said brooks a stud. He is athletic and for a guy just learning LB it sounds like he has impressed because diaz has hyped him too.

Advertisement
Back