2020 American Heritage LB Garcia waiting on UM offer, talks Canes

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
It’s still early in the process, but 2020 American Heritage LB Andy Garcia has already picked up an offer from Syracuse and is ranked #331 overall in the country by 247Sports. One offer he’s still waiting on, however, is the hometown Miami Hurricanes. Garcia is in contact with the staff at UM and has visited campus for Underclassmen Day last month, with plans to return for Paradise Camp, but most recently saw the Canes spring game.

“I brought the whole family to the game. They love to tailgate," Garcia said. "The recruits were treated great and had great seating for the game. UM is looking like never before: strong, fast, physical."

Garcia is starting to build up a relationship with the coaching staff at Miami as well, and communicates with Manny Diaz and Mike Rumph.

“Coach Rumph and coach Diaz are the main coaches I hear from the most over there,” Garcia said of Miami. “I definitely have high interest in Miami and plan on visiting them for the Paradise Camp this summer.”

So, just what is it about the Canes that is drawing him to Coral Gables?

“The swag and the energy around the whole program is what has me most interested in them.”

And if the Canes did pull the trigger on an offer?

“Miami would definitely be at the top,” Garcia said. “Why not make the crib great?”

Why not indeed. It’s no coincidence that Garcia uses that particular phrase to describe his Miami interest: he’s former teammates with the player that made it popular, Nesta “Jade” Silvera, a UM signee at DT in the class of 2018. The two have a relationship of a mentor-mentee, and Garcia says he learned plenty about the game from Silvera.

“Jade is like a big brother to me. He taught me a lot, things no coach could teach you. That is, how to be a dog and how to go hard every play. He still looks at me as a kid, so we haven’t really talked about meeting again at the next level, but, yeah, he’s taught me a lot.

Whatever it is that Silvera taught Garcia, it seems to be taking hold: Garcia was the only sophomore starter on a loaded Heritage defense that boasted multiple D-I prospects and coasted to a state title last season.

“Sophomore season went great, we finished state champs undefeated. I feel like I made a big impact being the only sophomore starting on such a prestigious defense.”

In an effort to focus on his senior season, the 6’2”, 205 pound ‘backer expects to have a decision in mind the summer before his final year of high school.

“I’d ideally like to be committed before senior year,” said Garcia. “Like over the summer between junior and senior year.”

When he finally does make that decision, the school that will land Garcia will offer him both a comfortable environment as well as a chance for early playing time.”

“Definitely a place that fits me and the person that I am,” said Garcia. “Also, a place I can make an impact right away.”

Advertisement
So does he start with who they have at LB this year? Solomon, Brown, Wingo, and him? Since Huff is a safety? How do we think STA lines up?

*as soon as I saw American Heritage*

michael-bolton-office-space.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back