2020 4-star OT Wray talks recruiting

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 4-star OT Jake Wray has gotten some serious early attention in the recruiting world, racking up offers from the best of the best in the college football landscape as just a sophomore in the 2020 class. Scholarships have come from Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, and LSU to name a few, indicating the young Wray is already a blue-chip national recruit. Even more impressive, most of his offers came after his freshman season of HS, including his Miami offer.

“About a year and a half ago, I talked to coach Searels and he offered me,” Wray said of his Canes offer. “I was excited. I mean, it’s ‘the U’, it’s such a cool place.”

While Wray has his offer in hand, he hasn’t heard as much from the UM coaches lately, but will hope to hear more from the staff in the future.

“I haven’t had any recent communication with the coaches,” Wray said.

Even still, Wray has high interest in Miami. What’s drawing the Marietta, GA product to the Canes is the rich tradition that comes with 5 national championships and countless All-Americans.

“Just the history of ‘the U’ has to be a big factor for me,” Wray said.

This won’t be Wray’s first rodeo in terms of seeing what it’s like to be a big-time college recruit: his older brother Max, also an O-Lineman, just went through the process, signing with Ohio State in the class of 2018. It’s that experience that gives Wray a sense of maturity that many of his peers lack and will be a benefit to him as his recruitment starts to pick up even more as an upperclassman.

“I have learned a little bit from Max, but I’m going to go through this process differently than him too,” Wray said.

Because of his relationship with his brother, many have already pegged Wray as a Buckeye-lean. However, while playing with his sibling in Columbus is something he’s open to, Wray cautions not to read too much into that either.

“Yes, it would be cool to play with him in college,” Wray said of playing with his brother at the next level. “But, it’s not a big deal to me either way.”

While he’s enjoying the recruiting process and still has a long way to go, Wray wants to be able to pick his school of choice by the beginning of his senior year to focus on his final high school football season.

“Probably sometime in the summer before senior season,” said Wray of his decision timetable.

And it seems Wray, who lists himself at 6’5” 300 pounds right now, knows exactly what he wants in a college despite his young age.

“I’d say: coaches, atmosphere, campus, education, tradition, and networking.”

Advertisement
While Wray has his offer in hand, he hasn’t heard as much from the UM coaches lately, but will hope to hear more from the staff in the future. “I haven’t had any recent communication with the coaches,” Wray said.

Seriously, what's the point in offering a guy and then falling off the map?

I feel like this has been a common refrain with '20 guys at this stage, especially out-of-state prospects. I'm willing to give the staff the benefit of the doubt and assume that at this stage they're still trying to laser in on '19 recruits, and will resume constant contact with '20 kids this summer leading up to Paradise Camp.

I don't get the sense that Searels would pull a Kul on us. It has to be a logical explanation as to why there has been a lack of communication from our staff. Searels has held his own on the recruting trail. Not recruiting a player that he really wants, doesn't fit his M.O.

Advertisement
Every school

Every school does this. You get in early and play it by ear if there are other prospects you like more currently. This way the kid doesn’t feel like you were “late to the party.”

I was thinking the same thing. I can see it with a fall back guy that is a third option, but always stay on top of top talent. I know this kid more likely going to Ga and we on some monster OL, but don't offer and ignore.

Having watched both Wray brothers in person, neither passes the look-test or is a mauler off the ball. If those are the types of OL OSU is taking it may be a great time to be a Michigan fan.
If that was not enough, both Wrays up and quit their High School Football Team when they needed to earn their positions back after injury. These are the types of kids who do not thrive in Miami.

If I was guessing why Coach Searles' communication dropped off it would be due to the circus of quitting late in the year.

Stefan has got to be giving Ferman and Irvins nightmares. Like Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid kept saying about the guy in the white hat - who is this guy?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back