2020 4-star DE Kinsler recaps his day in Paradise

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Pahokee (FL) 4-star DE Latarie Kinsler is a Louisville commitment, but that didn’t stop him from coming to the Miami Hurricanes’ biggest recruiting event of the year last weekend. How did Paradise Camp go from his perspective?

“It was one of the best camps I’ve ever went to,” Kinsler said while rocking a UM beanie. “I’m definitely going to be coming back and looking to take an official to Miami when the time comes.”

Although his family, who are big Hurricanes’ fans, weren’t able to make the trip to Paradise Camp with him over the weekend, Kinsler came down with a coach and felt he played pretty good under the lights in Coral Gables.

“I came with my coach, coach Everett. I performed pretty decent. I could’ve had a better day,” Kinsler said. “There was one rep that I’ll say was a tie. I went six reps, won five.”

Miami had earned four commitments by the time the camp was over and added two the next day. Did Kinsler ever think about joining the party?

“I wasn’t really focused on that (laughs),” said Kinsler. “I just came to work, learn, and get better.”

So, what did he learn from the coaching staff and Jess Simpson at Paradise that he can use to better his game and take it to the next level?

“To just trust my speed,” Kinsler said. “Coach told me to never bull-rush, always use my speed.”

Last week, Kinsler told us he wanted to further his relationship with the Miami coaching staff over the weekend and that his relationship with the coaches would be a main deciding factor in his recruitment. How does he feel that effort went at Paradise?

“I gained more of a relationship with coach (Jess) Simpson,” Kinsler said. “He was just teaching me new things and telling me what I needed to work on to better myself. But he was also recruiting me, telling me they need me at Miami.”

There were plenty of former Miami stars and legends that came out for Paradise Camp to coach the young players up, or just to give a speech imparting some wisdom. However, Kinsler’s favorite person to meet at the camp was actually a current player on the team at UM.

“The guy that I liked most at camp was Gregory Rousseau,” Kinsler said. “He was cool.”

Kinsler has been committed to Louisville since July of last year and, while he will be checking out all his options to make sure he is making the best decision for his future, the defensive end says things are still positive with the Cardinals.

“Basically, they’ve just been keeping contact with me,” Kinsler said on UL. “They check up on me and my family all the time. I talk to coach almost every day. Things are going pretty good. I’m trying to get up there sometime for a game.”

Advertisement
Rousseau seems to be a really social and popular guy. You see people gravitating to him and him getting along with a lot of our recruits

How big is Kinsler? Also, S/O to Rousseau again. I've never seen a kid have such an impact without even playing a game haha. All these local DE's look up to him.

Advertisement
Everyone looks up to Roussea, he's 6'7" lol.
Nah, that's awesome. Definitely helps with recruiting.

How big is Kinsler? Also, S/O to Rousseau again. I've never seen a kid have such an impact without even playing a game haha. All these local DE's look up to him.

He's listed 6'4" 212, but I'd be surprised if he was much more than 200. He's rail thin right now standing next to him. Great frame to put on weight though, long and lanky arms

Seems a lot of the recruits gravitate towards Rousseau.

That's because he's so massive he has his own gravitational force. They're thinking of naming him the 9th planet now that Pluto was demoted.

I like the profile this staff is jumping on. First Harvey, now Kinsler. Bogle is in that mold, too. Quick-twitch kids with burst, athleticism and range.

Advertisement
I like the profile this staff is jumping on. First Harvey, now Kinsler. Bogle is in that mold, too. Quick-twitch kids with burst, athleticism and range.
Can put on size but can't teach real athleticism like that

Advertisement
Back