2020 3-star WR Fleming lands Canes offer at camp today, immediately names UM his leader

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Coming into today, 2020 3-star WR Marcus Fleming thought the day would just be about getting to know his new teammates and coaches at Miami Southridge better and playing in UM’s 7-on-7 tournament held on campus. However, the speedster at receiver got some exciting recruiting news after finishing his second game of the afternoon: he now had an offer from the Miami Hurricanes.

“After the second game today, coach Dugans came over and he told me”, Fleming said. “I love coach Dugans. He’s truthful. He keeps everything 100 and doesn’t lie about anything.”

Now with the offer in hand, where do the Canes fit into Fleming’s picture?

“If I had to make a top 3, it’d probably be Miami in the top spot, followed by Florida and Penn State. Tennessee is also close to those schools.”

What is it about the Canes that makes him call them his leader?

“It’s the crib, there’s nothing better than home. And the tradition,” Fleming says.

Fleming, who lists himself at 5’10” 162 pounds, made the transfer to Southridge from Miami Northwestern earlier this spring, so he’s still adjusting to his new teammates and coaches. However, he said camps like this are great for bonding and making new relationships. Fleming was part of the Southridge team that won the championship over Hialeah, 25-18.

“It’s good so far. It feels good to know I’m surrounded by great players,” Fleming said on moving to Southridge. “We did amazing today, I did amazing. Good enough to get my team to the championship.”

In the semi-final contest, Southridge squared off against Miami Central and Fleming drew their toughest cover corner: 2020 Miami commit 4-star Henry Gray. They traded big plays back and forth as Gray came over to pry away a ball Fleming had two hands on. A few plays later, Fleming beat Gray to the sidelines to come down with a tough catch on a deep ball.

“It was a good matchup,” Fleming said of Gray. “I felt like I could’ve really got him a few times, but we went back and forth.”

While it’s still early for Fleming and he has no decision timeline in sight, he is already planning a few visits, including ones to Penn State and Miami.

“I know I’m going to Penn State when they play Ohio State during the season,” Fleming said. “I’ll be at Miami a lot too. I’m going to try to go to all the home games.”

Advertisement
Future Cane. This kids been begging for an offer. Hope he takes his time, then pulls the trigger for us when he’s 100% ready.

Advertisement
He’s a bad dude in that receiver spot. Rule number 1 when recruiting Sofia is to ask the players and coaches.
I’m pretty sure no one wants the cover Fleming.

A no brainer at one of the WR spots in the 2020 class. Fleming is a fantastic athlete with great speed yet he is a natural football player. Has natural receiving ability to go with an uncanny feel for the position and his awareness level is off the charts. Has great hands and the ability/hustle to make plays on poorly thrown balls.

5'10" yet possesses the athleticism and feel/timing to "climb the ladder" a make plays on overthrown balls. Has the speed to be a threat on deep routes while also being able to use his lateral quickness to work routes underneath and in the middle of the field. An excellent prospect that I would love to have in the 2020 class. The kid is a playmaker. I see a little Santana in him.

Advertisement
“I’ll be trying to go to all of Miami’s home games”. Kid might pull the trigger quicker than Munoz. Love his speed and vision.

Advertisement
Back