2019 Wekiva DE/LB Davis lands offers from Miami and Alabama, updates recruitment

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2019 3-star DE/LB Rian Davis is part of a loaded Wekiva defensive unit that has attracted plenty of interest from the Miami coaching staff. Along with Davis, teammates 4-star DT Tyler Davis, 3-star CB Renardo Green, and 3-star DE Norell Pollard have received scholarships offers from the Canes in the past few months. While the foursome is focused on combining their talents to help the Apopka, FL school win states, the idea of playing together at the next level is never far from their thoughts.

“Yes, we talk about stuff like that all the time,” Rian Davis said.

Davis played last season at Clear Lake HS in Houston, TX and recorded 94 tackles, 15 TFL, 5 sacks, 2 INT's, 1 fumble recovery, and 2 TD's before moving to Apopka to finish his high school career with Wekiva. He was offered by the Canes back on January 18th when Todd Hartley stopped by the school and Davis was thrilled to have a scholarship to “The U”.

“My coach informed me that they had offered me,” Davis said of the Canes. “I felt so happy and honored to get a big offer like that. I love their defense and the energy they play with.”

Although Davis is listed by recruiting services as DE, the Canes are coming after him at linebacker. Currently listing himself at 6-3, 230 pounds, Davis already has the bulk to make a scary inside LB before his senior season even begins. With LB being a huge need this cycle, UM has defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Manny Diaz on Davis, but the Wekiva star says it is actually a newer Hurricanes coach who he’s built the best connection with.

“I’ve been hearing from (outside linebackers coach) Jonathan Patke the most,” Davis said. “We have a good relationship.”

Miami isn’t the only big offer Davis has picked up lately. He landed an offer from the Crimson Tide last week, something it seems is always a notable occurrence these days. Davis admits he’s intrigued by Bama, but that he’ll remain even-keeled.

“I’m very interested in Alabama, and I’m thankful (for the offer), but my recruitment is still open,” Davis said.

While Davis currently has no visits scheduled and has no leaders, he’s considering visiting UM for a spring practice in the coming weeks. A trip to Miami’s campus could really help to push the Canes up further in Davis’ mind, and he says three other schools in particular are in contact with him more frequently than Miami.

“No, I don’t have a top group,” Davis said. “Although, Clemson, Georgia, and Louisville are coming after me the hardest.”

So even though Davis is keeping things open right now, it looks like he’ll start speeding up the process soon enough: he wants to make a decision before his senior year and places importance on academics and coaching staff.

“Sometime during the summer,” Davis said of his college announcement. “I’m looking for a great education and great coaching that’s going to take me to the next level, and it has to feel like home.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Kids film looks legit... Saw him pop a couple of kids and they flew back..

Nice to seem him drop back in coverage too with a nice pick with the extension needed for the grab

I like this kid's energy. And he appears to play the zone well in pass coverage, so he seems to have some football IQ. Not many false steps, and comes downhill once he has made his read.

Force = mass * acceleration. The kid is a hitter.

Advertisement
Does he even have legitimate interest in Miami? He mentioned Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and Louisville with more enthusiasm. Or am I misreading this?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back