2019 Redshirt Watch - Bowl Game

Payton played a good amount as well which means he can’t play again without burning it

Advertisement
I'll tell you what I'd like to see...

Save Jeremiah Payton's last game for the bowl game. Let'em work scout team the rest of the year, then tell'em he's going to get some meals to eat during the bowl game and let's see what we've got with him, for real. Same with Larry Hodges, Keontra Smith, and I'd LOOOOOVE to see a few of those DTs get a few snaps per game here, late in the season before you let'em eat during the bowl game.

Basically, use that bowl game to start getting ready for next year but give some of the kids some real burn.

Jeremiah Payton's game log has been updated, indicating he played against UL this past week. It was his 4th game played.

Jahfari Harvey's game log was also updated, indicating that he did not play against UL this past week. He still has only 3 games played.

I'll tell you what I'd like to see...

Save Jeremiah Payton's last game for the bowl game. Let'em work scout team the rest of the year, then tell'em he's going to get some meals to eat during the bowl game and let's see what we've got with him, for real. Same with Larry Hodges, Keontra Smith, and I'd LOOOOOVE to see a few of those DTs get a few snaps per game here, late in the season before you let'em eat during the bowl game.

Basically, use that bowl game to start getting ready for next year but give some of the kids some real burn.
1. Gives them the full season to develop and learn the playbook before getting meaningful action.
2. Shows them they are a part of the long term plan.
3. Shows us how they perform on the big stage.

Manny seems to understand analytics and strategies like this, generally speaking (I am specifically referring to believing he will have a plan on if/when to use those 4 games of eligibility). But I am in 100% agreement with your post.

Advertisement
In Week 13 vs. Duke, only S Keontra Smith and RB Lorenzo Lingard saw playing time among players still eligible for a redshirt.

Payton and Smith have played in 4 games, yes? I say let them sit against LT.

Advertisement
As of last season, a new NCAA rule went into effect allow a player to play in up to 4 games and still receive a redshirt designation. As such, it has made it worthwhile to track which freshmen were seeing playing time in each game to determine which players will land a redshirt at the end of the year.

Here's a chart to keep track of how many games the UM freshmen still eligible for a redshirt have participated in so far in 2019 (data is from UM's own official participation charts). This thread will be updated each week to reflect the new games played for each player and will be pinned to the top of the board.

*As of week 13, Zion Nelson, Jakai Clark, Sam Brooks, Te'Cory Couch, and Christian Williams have played at least 5 games and have burnt their redshirt this season.

Freshmen Redshirt Chart

QB

Peyton Matocha – 0

WR

Jeremiah Payton – 4 (BCU, CMU, FSU, UL)

TE

Larry Hodges - 3 (UNC, BCU, CMU)

OL

Adam ElGammal - 0

DE

Jahfari Harvey - 3 (UF, UNC, BCU)
Cameron Williams - 0

DT

Jason Blissett - 1 (BCU)
Jalar Holley - 1 (BCU)
Jared Harrison-Hunte - 1 (BCU)

LB

Avery Huff - 0

S

Keontra Smith - 4 (BCU, UL, FIU, Duke)

Since we are now through game 5, we'll start charting the upperclassmen that have played in 4 games or less and are still redshirt eligible for this season. All data pulled from UM's official participation charts.

Upperclassmen Redshirt Chart

RB

Lorenzo Lingard - 2 (VT, Duke)

OL

Ousman Traore - 2 (BCU, CMU)

LB

Zach McCloud - 4 (UF, UNC, BCU, PITT)

Did Payton or Smith see the field yesterday?

According to the UM participant chart, Keontra Smith did play...I thought I saw him in there on special teams. Dont really understand why they would burn his redshirt for that game but they did

Advertisement
Advertisement
According to the UM participant chart, Keontra Smith did play...I thought I saw him in there on special teams. Dont really understand why they would burn his redshirt for that game but they did

Yes Smith did play and that was his 5th game; he is listed as a sophomore on Miami's spring roster released this week.

Payton did not play and was officially redshirted

Final Tally

Those that did not redshirt
: OT Zion Nelson, OG Jakai Clark, LB Sam Brooks, S Keontra Smith, CB Te'Cory Couch, and CB Christian Williams.

Those that did redshirt: QB Peyton Matocha, WR Jeremiah Payton, TE Larry Hodges, OT Adam ElGammal, OG Ousman Traore, DE Jahfari Harvey, DE Cameron Williams, DT Jason Blissett, DT Jalar Holley, DT Jared Harrison-Hunte, LB Avery Huff, and LB Zach McCloud

Advertisement
Back