2019 Redshirt Watch - Bowl Game

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
As of last season, a new NCAA rule went into effect allow a player to play in up to 4 games and still receive a redshirt designation. As such, it has made it worthwhile to track which freshmen were seeing playing time in each game to determine which players will land a redshirt at the end of the year.

Here's a chart to keep track of how many games the UM freshmen still eligible for a redshirt have participated in so far in 2019 (data is from UM's own official participation charts). This thread will be updated each week to reflect the new games played for each player and will be pinned to the top of the board.

*As of the bowl game, Zion Nelson, Jakai Clark, Sam Brooks, Keontra Smith, Te'Cory Couch, and Christian Williams have played at least 5 games and have burnt their redshirt this season.

Freshmen Redshirt Chart

QB

Peyton Matocha – 0

WR

Jeremiah Payton – 4 (BCU, CMU, FSU, UL)

TE

Larry Hodges - 3 (UNC, BCU, CMU)

OL

Adam ElGammal - 0

DE

Jahfari Harvey - 3 (UF, UNC, BCU)
Cameron Williams - 0

DT

Jason Blissett - 1 (BCU)
Jalar Holley - 1 (BCU)
Jared Harrison-Hunte - 1 (BCU)

LB

Avery Huff - 0

Since we are now through game 5, we'll start charting the upperclassmen that have played in 4 games or less and are still redshirt eligible for this season. All data pulled from UM's official participation charts.

Upperclassmen Redshirt Chart

OL

Ousman Traore - 2 (BCU, CMU)

LB

Zach McCloud - 4 (UF, UNC, BCU, PITT)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Great thread!!!

Doesn't the rule apply to second year players also? If so, it might makes sense to track those players too.

Of those that didn’t play, only JPayton and Keontra are extremely likely to not redshirt this year, in my opinion. One of the linebackers is a possibility also to burn the shirt, but if we’re lucky enough to stay 100% healthy there, I could see them both shirting.

Surprised Keontra Smith didn't get some action against UF. Guess they wanted to keep as much experience on the field as possible.

Advertisement
I like this thread...I'd also like an "early entree" thread with any changes/updates to that list in the recruiting section.

Jeremiah Payton
Keontra Smith
Larry Hodges
Sam Brooks
Jahfari Harvey
Te'Cory Couch
Christian Williams
Jared Harrison-Hunte
Jalar Holley
Jason Blissett

Should all play this year, can't afford to lose any of them to the portal due to the fact they didn't play.

You definitely redshirt the OL's & the QB, but the everyone else should play, even if it's limited reps, keep them engaged & make them feel like they're going to have a legit chance next year.

Advertisement
Lingard will play this year, he already redshirted his Freshman year.

Nesta will be back this season & will play.

Traore I doubt it, could be needed for depth.

Under no circumstances will Ivey be redshirted, is needed for CB depth & will be CB3 all year.

Jennings depends on if he'll be out for whole season or not.

Bolden ain't shirting either, he'll play as soon as he gets clearedl
Lingard didnt red shirt he played 6 games

Under no circumstances will Ivey be redshirted, is needed for CB depth & will be CB3 all year.

I was only providing a list of potential redshirts.

Great thread!!!

Doesn't the rule apply to second year players also? If so, it might makes sense to track those players too.

Yes it applies to everyone that hasn't previously redshirted. We tracked them all last year and after game 4, singled out the guys who hadn't yet hit the 4 game limit. I think that's the best way to do it instead of listing out the entire team

Totally agree

Advertisement
As of last season, a new NCAA rule went into effect allow a player to play in up to 4 games and still receive a redshirt designation. As such, it has made it worthwhile to track which freshmen were seeing playing time in each game to determine which players will land a redshirt at the end of the year.

In 2019, the Canes have 16 true freshman. In the first game of the season, Miami only played 4 of them against the Florida Gators: Zion Nelson, Jahfari Harvey, Te'Cory Couch, and Christian Williams.

Here's a chart to keep track of how many games the UM freshmen still eligible for a redshirt have participated in so far in 2019 (data is from UM's own official participation charts). This thread will be updated each week to reflect the new games played for each player and will be pinned to the top of the board.

Freshman Redshirt Chart

QB

Peyton Matocha – 0

WR

Jeremiah Payton – 0

TE

Larry Hodges - 0

OL

Zion Nelson – 1 (UF)
Jakai Clark - 0
Adam ElGammal - 0

DE

Jahfari Harvey - 1 (UF)
Cameron Williams - 0

DT

Jason Blissett - 0
Jalar Holley - 0
Jared Harrison-Hunte - 0

LB

Sam Brooks - 0
Avery Huff - 0

CB

Te'Cory Couch - 1 (UF)
Christian Williams - 1 (UF)

S

Keontra Smith - 0

Great tool for us Stefan

Yes it applies to everyone that hasn't previously redshirted. We tracked them all last year and after game 4, singled out the guys who hadn't yet hit the 4 game limit. I think that's the best way to do it instead of listing out the entire team

Any kids that you think play at UNC that have not played as of yet?

Advertisement
Although we were stout on the run I just don’t see the defensive tackles flash enough. We gotta be more in tuned with down and distance and subbing the right guys in. JON FORD AND BETHEL “AIN’T IT” ON LONG DOWN AND DISTANCE.

Although we were stout on the run I just don’t see the defensive tackles flash enough. We gotta be more in tuned with down and distance and subbing the right guys in. JON FORD AND BETHEL “AIN’T IT” ON LONG DOWN AND DISTANCE.
Shows how great Willis really was last year, but Nesta coming back will help a lot.

These incompetent ***** better let Harvey, Blissett, Hunte, Holley, Cam Williams get a few snaps at DE this week

Advertisement
Back