2019 NFL Draft Profile: Tyree St. Louis

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The Hurricanes’ best offensive lineman in an average group attempts to convince NFL franchises that the best is yet to come with his game.

Tyree St. Louis has been a mainstay on the Miami O-Line for 3 seasons now, starting 34 games from 2016 to 2018 at both right and left tackle. One of the only true tackles on UM’s roster for the past few years, St. Louis was heavily relied on and started every game at left tackle in his senior season, where he played well enough to garner an All-ACC honorable mention.

Pre-Draft Measurables

Height
: 6’5”

Weight: 314 pounds

Arms: 34 1/2”

Hands: 9 1/4”

Strengths

Size/Frame

Big bodied with a wide frame and good length. Has the look of a prototypical tackle in the league. Stronger in his base than his upper body.

Blocking in Space

St. Louis shows potential as a climb blocker, as he has the necessary athleticism and quickness off the snap to get out in front and reach the second level. Comfortable pulling and his length allows him to increase his range working on an island.

Weaknesses

Power

Doesn’t play with great leverage or weight distribution, which hurts his power at the point of attack. Doesn’t get much push as a run blocker and shows poor initial punch. Struggles to redirect block at times.

Balance

His upper body and lower body are often not in sync and this throws him out of whack. Does not play with much bend and plays too upright. A frequent lunger, which gets him off-kilter and makes him easy prey for power rushers.

Draft Projection: UDFA

There were a segment of scouts that were high on St. Louis heading into his senior season due to his quick feet off the snap and they loved his move to left tackle. However, he had an up and down year and has carried the same bad habits with him throughout his career. His lack of play strength and power will likely keep him from having the positional versatility to also play guard, a key component that many teams value in the late rounds and harms his ability to stay on a roster. Although he has appealing size to work with and he is sure to get a shot on the UDFA market, St. Louis has not progressed enough from a technical standpoint to be considered anything other than a developmental prospect.

Advertisement
With his great size, arm length, quick feet, and 3 years of play he should be able to latch on and improve with coaching.
With the lack of RT in this draft he could be a possible late 6th or 7th rd pick. Either way even as a UDFA he is getting legit shots

He's definitely more naturally gifted than McDermot and Darling were. I see him sticking at least the three years you're allowed to pay scout team wages. Hopefully the improved S&C and coaching, and being able to focus his full attention on the position will get him over the hump, and he'll join a long line of Canes who had better careers as pros than in college.

Advertisement
If you guys think he’s getting drafted you are out of your mind.

Well, Adams said he's projected as an Undrafted Free Agent (UFA). I don't see anyone disagreeing with that. It makes sense to me, at least.

Advertisement
I seen one play someone posted on here and he looked like a bowling ball crashing into a pin that was a CB. He definitely has the athleticism
I def think he would get drafted next year if he stayed. Wasn’t he our best lineman last year?

Advertisement
I def think he would get drafted next year if he stayed. Wasn’t he our best lineman last year?

From the one play I seen it sure seemed like it. But I think he was a rotational guy last year and may have started a couple games.

From the one play I seen it sure seemed like it. But I think he was a rotational guy last year and may have started a couple games.
He should have definitely started over Jones. I know they threw him between G and T trying to find the best combo.

Advertisement
He should have definitely started over Jones. I know they threw him between G and T trying to find the best combo.

Honestly felt like they were attempting to do Jones a Solid by starting him... dude was awful and should have hit the bench permanently after struggling against SSU

Honestly felt like they were attempting to do Jones a Solid by starting him... dude was awful and should have hit the bench permanently after struggling against SSU
Unfortunately I agree. Wish that wasn’t the case. This isn’t grade school where everyone has to play. Boulware should have started every game last year over Jones.

"St. Louis has not progressed enough from a technical standpoint to be considered anything other than a developmental prospect. "

Coaching here during his career?

Advertisement
Back