2019 NFL Draft Profile: Travis Homer

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
One of the leaders of the team who started all 13 games in Miami’s offense in 2018 has decided to try his luck at the NFL. This talented running back is making the move to chase his dream by leaving school a year early.

Travis Homer was the Miami Hurricanes' starting running back the past two seasons. Homer rushed for 1,995 yards on his career, including a career best 985 yards on 165 carries during his junior campaign. Homer ranks tied for 11th in Miami Hurricane history for running backs in terms of yardage. A two-time, second team All-ACC selection, Homer had 1,171 all purpose yards last year and also was the team's fifth leading receiver with 19 receptions.

A career game highlight came when Homer ran for 168 yards vs. the University of Pittsburgh last year. His 168 yards came on just eight carries, including a 64-yard score. That 100-yard plus game was the third of the season and the sixth of Homer's career.

Pre-Draft Measurables

Height
: 5’10”

Weight: 201 pounds

Arms: 31 1/2”

Hands: 10”

40 Yard Dash: 4.48

20 Yard Shuttle: 4.31

Bench Press: 17 Reps

Vert. Jump: 39.5”

Broad Jump: 130”

Strengths

Good Speed and Power

Homer is a back who can run with patience, showing smooth bounce out-outs, yet still runs with conviction. He has a propensity to fall forward after contact and doesn't slow into or shy away from such contact. Even for an undersized back, Homer has NFL-level toughness. With a 4.48 in the 40, he has the speed to factor on Sundays and runs well behind his pads.

Intangibles

NFL scouts believe he is one of the better pass protecting backs in the draft. He will look to deliver blows into blitzers and is a good initiator of contact. A special team stud while at Miami, especially as a gunner on the punt team. A versatile back that can naturally find a spot in a multifaceted capacity (3rd downs/special teams) on an NFL team.

Weaknesses

Fumble Prone

Fumbled once every 42 carries in college and needs to do a better job securing the football. Small changes such as switching the ball to his outer hand and increased concentration would go a long way.

Field Vision

Leaves yards on the field and misses back side cuts far too often. While making defenders miss, still can run into high traffic areas.

Draft Projection: 5th-6th round

Homer left school early but did very well at the combine. From an anonymous NFC scout: "He's a very loyal player to the program and his competitive nature is what really stands out. I think someone has a chance to get a steal with him." Homer's value as a punt gunner cannot be undersold and he has the ability to play higher than his draft grade. Homer is a smooth athlete who brings a lot to the table and we do believe he will have his name called during the later rounds of the draft.

Advertisement
He's probably going to go pretty late...but he'll play pretty early. He comes in ready to play special teams, can pass block, is a plus athlete, is very young...there is a lot to like here. He's not a starter...most teams probably see him as an RB3...but he's got some RB2 potential.

Advertisement
If Gus Edwards can make it, Homer can. He will get a legit shot as I think he is one of those RBs that an OC will fall in love with and will want to develop over time. You cant argue with those combine numbers.

Advertisement
Homer will be a smart team's value pick in a late round getting a versatile guy that can do almost everything. He can carve out a nice role as a 3rd down back. His lack of vision is his only set back, but still should have a nice career.

Why? Walton is the better overall back

That statement also blows my mind

Homer is a much better runner
Homer is a much better athlete
Homer is a much better ST player
Walton is probably a better receiver - but it's close
Walton might be a better pass blocker - but blocking actually matters so little

Homer is the better RB, better overall RB, etc. - any way you want to word or measure it, Homer is better

Homer is the better RB, better overall RB, etc. - any way you want to word or measure it, Homer is better
And he doesn’t have the injury history Walton did coming out last year. I don’t see Homer lasting past the 4th round.

Walton = 4th in a very strong RB draft. Homer = 6th in a very weak RB draft.

That just blows my mind.

I get what you are saying...

This draft class at RB is very weird though. Lots of guys basically indistinguishable from one another.

Darrell Henderson and Bryce Love (if healthy) looked like the best backs in the nation, to me. But a low usage RB like Jacobs is getting a lot of pub as a R1 player. None of these guys look like guys I'd want to spend a R1 or R2 pick on and some of them will be good, solid players, but RB is worthless and replaceable in the NFL these days.

Advertisement
I agree that someone will be getting a bargain for Homer beyond round 3

I wish success for ANY Cane.

I also hope that everyone of them can overcome any obstacles they find on Life's road

I get what you are saying...

This draft class at RB is very weird though. Lots of guys basically indistinguishable from one another.

Darrell Henderson and Bryce Love (if healthy) looked like the best backs in the nation, to me. But a low usage RB like Jacobs is getting a lot of pub as a R1 player. None of these guys look like guys I'd want to spend a R1 or R2 pick on and some of them will be good, solid players, but RB is worthless and replaceable in the NFL these days.

Agreed - this RB draft class is bad and very hard to predict.

I think the Top 5 taken will be:

2nd - Josh Jacobs, Miles Sanders
3rd - Damien Harris, Darrell Henderson, David Montgomery (who seems like a pretty clear bust)

I think Justice Hill is next - but after that I wouldn't be surprised if any RB goes in the 4th or ends up undrafted. The RB rankings are all over the board.

I'm taking Walton 10/10 times, Homer ain't gonna cut it in the league, but it doesn't look like Walton will either, but not from lack of skill. Walton is bigger, faster, stronger, and also started over Homer for 2 years

Advertisement

3rd - Damien Harris, Darrell Henderson, David Montgomery (who seems like a pretty clear bust)

I think Justice Hill is next - but after that I wouldn't be surprised if any RB goes in the 4th or ends up undrafted. The RB rankings are all over the board.
Henderson ran all over the G5 but I still wanna see him against better comp. Still a great talent though

I saw David Montgomery in the airport a few weeks ago.

Very good kid. Humble. Respectful.

He'll do well in life, and in the NFL, with those traits.

You're the same guy who swore Yearby was better than Walton. And you guaranteed Homer would be better than both, and be drafted higher.

The fact that you are still weighing in on running backs is the most mind blowing statement.

You're the same guy who swore Yearby was better than Walton. And you guaranteed Homer would be better than both, and be drafted higher.

The fact that you are still weighing in on running backs is the most mind blowing statement.

Here are the main things I said - and I still think all these things

1) I thought Walton/Yearby/Gus were all UFA talents - NFL journeyman types. I thought those 3 were similar talent levels to when we had Damien Berry/Graig Cooper/Javarris James. How you ranked them was a matter of preference, but there wasn't a big difference between any of them.

2) I thought Yearby was a more effective runner than Walton. I thought Yearby's rushing stats were better, and he should've been getting more carries in 2016. I never called Yearby a better all-around player or NFL prospect.

3) I thought going into 2017, that Homer would show to be the better RB than Walton. I think he did. I didn't say Homer would be drafted higher, but I did say talent wise he should be.

4) I thought Homer, Dexter Williams, and Jordan Scarlett were all better RB's coming out of HS, were in college, and will be in the NFL. Walton will probably end up drafted the highest, and probably end up 4th best.

And you think Walton going 22 carries for 21 yds in the preseason, followed by 14 carries for 34 yds in the regular season proves me wrong?

Advertisement
Back