2019 JUCO OL Traore commits, preparing to play right away

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Up until a week ago, 2019 Hutchinson C.C. (KS) OL Ousman Traore was originally planning to return to JUCO for another year. He was only being offered a spot in the 2020 class by the schools recruiting him, programs such as LSU, UF, and ECU.

However, the Canes got involved this week, offering him a spot in the 2019 class and a chance to enroll this summer. Soon after, Traore scheduled a mid-week official visit to Coral Gables for Wednesday and Thursday and decided he would take that opportunity, committing to the coaching staff over dinner late last night.

“It was just amazing, you know, an amazing feeling,” Traore said of his big moment. “The coaches, they were just really happy, really excited.”

Traore’s family joined him on the visit to Miami as well. Although his relationship with the Miami coaches was so new, the Canes did a good job of making Traore feel like UM was the place he needed to be.

“They felt like family,” Traore said of the coaches. “We talked about what I could do my first year there and they made me feel comfortable. My family was with me too, my mom especially loved everything. It’s all about family.”

In particular, Traore spent a lot of time on his trip getting to know OL coach Butch Barry, and the 6-3 325 pound prospect felt his own mentality meshed well with what Barry brings to the table. For his part, Barry told Traore he sees him as a guard at the next level.

“He kept it real with me, told me to come in ready to play and that he’s going to push me,” Traore said. “I think he’s a really good coach and can really help me.”

Bonding and being on the same page is important for offensive linemen, and Traore got a head start in getting to know one of his future teammates on his visit.

“I met John Campbell,” Traore said. “We were chilling one of the nights and I was asking him some questions about everything, it was cool.”

At Hutchinson last season, Traore started 11 games as a true freshman at left guard for the Blue Dragons and was named first team All-Conference for his efforts. Despite that, he still did not receive any D-I offers ahead of February signing day 2019 and was faced with the prospect of returning for another season of JUCO ball in Kansas. Traore never let it shake his resolve though, and he always felt that he was very close to breaking through.

“For me, it was just about staying humble, that’s all it is,” Traore said. “I knew if I just stayed humble and kept doing what I was doing, everything would work out. It’s all about staying humble, I’m big on that.”

Originally from Georgia, Traore will now return home to the Peach State for about a month before heading to UM. Traore will be immediately eligible as a full qualifier and will enroll for Summer B at UM on June 30 with classes starting July 1st. He has four years to play three and comes to Miami as a true sophomore. What does a player like Traore bring to the Hurricanes?

“Consistency, that’s all - consistency, effort. I’m ready to come in and work and compete,” Traore said. “I’ll work for my spot and get ready to play.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Feeley is as important with this kid as Barry. He moves pretty well for a mobile home, but we need him to mold him into a guy that can be a pulling guard.

Advertisement
I'm not one to fall for a highlight reel, much less one against that level competition, but he looks surprisingly solid. I didn't see anything that would make me question the offer. I wonder why nobody else offered him for 2019.

Always good to get some big uglies but does this really address the need at OT? Hes an interior guy and we have some of those already.

One of my best friends went to that CC and played with Cordarrel Patterson. He says the school usually has some legit D1 talent. However that was about 6 or 7 years ago.

Advertisement
I'm not one to fall for a highlight reel, much less one against that level competition, but he looks surprisingly solid. I didn't see anything that would make me question the offer. I wonder why nobody else offered him for 2019.

Here are the top 5 reasons that a kid with talent gets no interest, as it's almost always at least one or more of the following:

1. Grades
2. Injury
3. Character Issues
4. Lack of Camps
5. Obscure HS program

Have ZERO knowledge of whether any of these apply, (my guess it's definitely not 3 as he wouldn't be here if it was).

Advertisement
I think its a great pickup, like that low center of gravity lean for the run blocking, almost makes him seem shorter for a guy thats 6'3" (lowest man wins), have to see how he pass blocks at the next level. Go Canes

Always good to get some big uglies but does this really address the need at OT? Hes an interior guy and we have some of those already.
Well, judging by coach Barry telling Traore that he sees him as a guard no it does not address OT nor was it meant to.

Advertisement
Back