2019 Freshman 15: September Edition

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Previous: March, April, May, June, July, August

Welcome to the seventh 2019 edition of the column I like to call “The Freshman 15”. If you’re a first time reader, this will be a focus on the rankings and the order of the top 15 uncommitted (to Miami) recruits the coaching staff is pursuing.

The order will be based mainly on:
  • How likely a recruit is to commit to Miami at the time
  • Skill level
  • Miami's need at their position
This column will be updated throughout the cycle each month and will show movement up or down for each recruit as the list is updated.

We're over halfway through the cycle and as we finally get into the season, many prospects that have been holding their cards close to the vest will be forced to play their hand. Home game weekends offer recruits the game-day atmospheres that they crave and following the visits always gets you closer to the truth.

Let’s get into the board for September.

1. Evan Neal, OT, Bradenton, FL (IMG Academy) (Last: 1)

Ht 6-7 | Wt 375 | 247 Composite: 5-Star, #25 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Neal is the prototypical top player on this board, thanks to his combination of talent, Miami’s need on the line, and the fact that he has family ties to the program. At 6’7” 375 pounds, I just call him “The Wall”. Neal has gone up against numerous top defensive linemen at various events and they were all hopelessly outmatched against him. He’s too big to get around and can overwhelm power rushers that try and go through him, while he is also quick enough to stone speed rushers off the edge.

In The Mix: Miami-Bama battle royale.

Latest: Not much has changed on Neal and he may be the quietest recruit of all time. Despite some Bama rumors going around, I have not heard anything to sway me from calling Neal a Miami-lean. Last we talked, he gave me an extremely Miami-positive vibe at the Opening in July and everything I’ve heard from those around his recruitment indicate Miami is still the team to beat. Neal hasn’t visited anybody since June, and that visit was to UM. He has not set any future visit plans to any school as of yet, but Miami is of course working to get him to visit for the FSU game on October 6th. Bama remains just behind Miami and is the only team I see being able to make a move for Neal at this point.

2. Khris Bogle, DE, Fort Lauderdale, FL (Cardinal Gibbons) (Last: 4)

Ht 6-4 | Wt 210 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #58 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Bogle makes his living in the opponent backfield and it’s tough for offensive linemen to square up on him with his speed off the edge. While he needs to add weight for the next level, Bogle’s first step is devastating and he has the potential to be a dynamic pass rusher for whichever team lands his services.

In The Mix: Seems like an informal top 7 of Miami, Tennessee, Alabama, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Oregon, and UF.

Latest: Bogle took his second official visit of the process to Texas A&M two weeks back for the Aggies’ game against Clemson, but judging by his reaction when talking with him, it felt like just a so-so visit in lieu of how highly kids usually speak of OV’s. He also plans future official visits to Alabama and Ole Miss, with possible visits to UF and Oregon as well. As of now, Bogle does not plan on OV’ing to Miami since he’s taken so many unofficial trips there this cycle. Bogle plans on being in Tennessee this weekend for their rivalry matchup against UF and the Volunteers have always been UM’s biggest competition here. After talking with Bogle last week, I put in a prediction for him to Miami. Since that time, my view has only been strengthened after talking to more sources closer to the recruitment and my confidence has never been higher here. Bogle originally wanted to take his decision to Signing Day to February, but the process has been getting to him a bit and he told me he may shut everything down after his Bama visit in October. Stay tuned.

3. Mark-Antony Richards, ATH, West Palm Beach, FL (Wellington) (Last: 2)

Ht 6-1 | Wt 190 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #95 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Running back, safety, receiver, quarterback, kicker, don’t matter. The book on Richards is simple: get him on the roster, figure out his position later. He’s that good. His speed and football instincts will play anywhere, and he loves offense, but Richards looks like an impact safety to me.

In The Mix: Miami, Auburn, Florida, Penn State, and Tennessee make up Richards’ top 5.

Latest: Auburn has really made an impression here and anybody that listened to his podcast interview with us last week could see that. Richards loves Gus Malzahn’s offense and has a good relationship with the Auburn head coach going back to the time Ahmmon was recruited to the Tigers. AU is the biggest threat to sway him off of Miami and I even underestimated how close this would be at this point, but I still have the Canes’ slightly ahead here. Richards is planning on taking his Miami official visit for the FSU game on October 6th and UM could essentially lock him up at that time, although I do believe he will still take all of his officials. The plan is still a December decision.

4. Braylen Ingraham, DT, Fort Lauderdale, FL (St. Thomas) (Last: 3)

Ht 6-4 | Wt 260 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #343 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Ingraham is the type of hybrid prospect the Canes love, with the ability to play both inside and outside on the D-Line. The Hurricanes will likely move him to DT as he continues to grow to allow his speed and athleticism to become a mismatch against slower offensive guards.

In The Mix: Miami is Ingraham’s leader, with Alabama, Florida, Oregon, and Kentucky in the game.

Latest: Ingraham recently eliminated Oklahoma from his top group and now lists Bama, UF, Oregon, Kentucky, and Miami as his top 5. He’s coming off an unofficial visit to UF two weeks back and has set up a Bama official visit for September 28th weekend, with a future Oregon visit still possible as well before his October 23rd decision date. Kentucky received an official from Ingraham over the summer. If Bama really pushes, things could get interesting, but otherwise these visits are just Ingraham enjoying the process. Along with many others, Ingraham is planning on being in Miami for UM’s rivalry matchup against vs. FSU, and I am still strong on my Miami pick for him.

5. Lloyd Summerall, DE, Lakeland, FL (Lakeland) (Last: 5)

Ht 6-5 | Wt 205 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #236 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Summerall is a Gregory Rousseau clone. His length and speed at his size are unreal and give him a huge advantage over his competition. I also love the way he uses his hands to create space for himself. Obviously he has to put on more weight for the next level, but he has the frame to do just that.

In The Mix: Miami, Florida, FSU, Ohio State, and Georgia are some of Summerall’s favorites.

Latest: Jess Simpson visited Lakeland for their game against Apopka two weeks back, and Summerall loved the gesture. Summerall took a trip the next day to watch FSU take on Samford and seeing that display could not have helped the Noles’ chances. Regardless, I’ve seen this as a Miami-UF battle for a while now and I’ve heard nothing to change that. UM just has to keep grinding here.

6. Keon Zipperer, TE, Lakeland, FL (Lakeland) (Last: 6)

Ht 6-2 | Wt 240 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #133 Overall

Behind The Ranking: A flex tight end with wide receiver traits, Zipperer can line up all over the field and make a defense pay in a variety of ways. He has soft hands to reel in passes and creates separation with ease. He’s not just a pass-catcher though, and shows the ability to block with anger and take defenders out of plays.

In The Mix: Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Florida, FSU, North Carolina, and Miami are a few that are pushing for Zipperer.

Latest: Like his teammate Summerall, this is really a Miami-UF battle with Bama creeping closer, despite Zipperer continuing to name additional schools in his favorites. Zipperer attended the Crimson Tide’s opening week matchup against Louisville, although the game was in Orlando. Todd Hartley visited Lakeland for their game against Apopka two weeks back, and Zipperer loved the gesture. Miami continues to sell their tight end tradition and lack of depth at the spot, as well as willingness to play freshmen. More big plays this season from Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory will only further reinforce this idea in Zipperer’s mind.

7. JJ Weaver, DE, Louisville, KY (Moore Traditional School) (Last: 7)

Ht 6-6 | Wt 240 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #312 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Weaver is an athletic specimen that plays all over the field for Moore. You see Weaver lining up at defensive end, linebacker, and tight end, but with his size and fluidity, most schools are going after him as a DE. He seems at his best stopping the run, but he certainly has the raw physical tools to develop more of a pass rush in the next coming years.

In The Mix: Miami, Louisville, Tennessee, Kentucky, Purdue, and Cincinnati are Weaver’s top 6.

Latest: Weaver put the Canes in his top 6 last month, along with Louisville, Tennessee, Kentucky, Purdue, and Cincinnati. Being from Lauderhill originally, Weaver still considers himself a “Broward boy”, so Miami has a claim to be the home team in this recruitment. Miami has secured an official visit for October 5th weekend, which is the FSU game. With a decision scheduled for November 3rd and no other OV's scheduled, UM is in a very good spot right now. He’s also already burned two OV’s on Cincinnati and Purdue over the summer, two places he is not likely to end up at. Weaver has made in-season unofficials to Kentucky and Louisville the past few weeks, and of the two, it seems Louisville has made the biggest move. I’m hearing the Cardinals are the biggest thorn in Miami’s side as of now, but Miami will have the chance to make their own move on his OV next month.

8. Jadon Haselwood, WR, Ellenwood, GA (Cedar Grove) (Last: 9)

Ht 6-3 | Wt 195 | 247 Composite: 5-Star, #3 Overall

Behind The Ranking: The way Haselwood is able to elevate and sky above defenders to make a play is truly jaw-dropping. Haselwood could be completely covered, and his QB will still throw it up to him because he’s that confident that Haselwood will go make and play on it. And the 5-star receiver usually does. He’s just playing at a different level than everyone else at all times and his motion seems effortless as he glides past defenders and under a pass.

In The Mix: Even though he's committed to the Bulldogs, I’ve heard this is a UGA, Miami, and Auburn battle for Haselwood, with OU on the outside looking in.

Latest: Miami is still heavily involved with Haselwood and have put themselves in a very strong position here going into the 2018 season. Right now, it’s Georgia, Miami, and Auburn that are true contenders to land the Peach State product. The outcomes of how each of the contenders’ seasons goes will absolutely have a huge impact here and Haselwood will be paying close attention to how each offense functions, as well as how prominent the receivers are in the attack. The amount of passing Mark Richt has done the past few years at UM is what has Haselwood intrigued in UM the most, and Miami will continue to sell him on being a superior fit in their offense, compared to the run-heavy scheme that UGA prefers. UM is pushing hard to get him back on campus for a game during the season.

9. Cornelius Nunn, S, Miami, FL (Miami Palmetto) (Last: 10)

Ht 6-0 | Wt 170 | 247 Composite: 3-Star, #495 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Nunn flies all over the field, showing great range and recovery speed. It’s Nunn’s length that really sets him apart though, as he’s just able to get to so many more passes and tip away close calls. Receivers find it very difficult to separate from him and it seems Nunn’s only improving every time I see him.

In The Mix: Nunn is committed to Syracuse, but other schools, including the Canes, have continued to push for him.

Latest: After Miami re-offered him before Paradise Camp, Nunn further solidified himself as a take at the event with a big performance, telling CIS that Miami has been coming on strong to flip him from Syracuse. He also told us last month that UM is looking at him as a safety, and that striker was also being talked about as well. If it was up to him, Nunn would already be committed to UM right now, but he comes from a big FSU family. This is a recruitment where UM is working against mom and getting mom on board is UM’s biggest hurdle, as she’s not high on the Canes, but the good news is that FSU is filling up at DB and hasn’t given him a look at all. If Miami really wants him, they have to keep pushing and recruit the entire family.

10. Quashon Fuller, DT, Lehigh Acres, FL (Lehigh Senior) (Last: 14)

Ht 6-4 | Wt 275 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #202 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Listed as an end by most sites, Fuller also plays DT and looks mighty comfortable on the inside. His rip move is so violent and you’re just taken back by the ease at which he was throws O-Linemen out of his way. Fuller looks like a budding star at the position with the top-tier quickness and hands to give larger, slower offensive guards fits.

In The Mix: The FSU commit is looking around at programs like Miami, Georgia, Alabama, and UF.

Latest: From last month’s Freshman 15: “However, Fuller has admitted to me that on-field success will be a big factor in his recruitment. Any faltering from Willie Taggart in his first year could open the door for UM to swoop in and it’s something to watch for as the season progresses.” As I’ve been saying, Fuller has been making on-field success a big point of emphasis all off-season, so FSU’s faceplant these first 3 weeks have really opened the door for Miami here and made this a much more interesting recruitment. Fuller is still saying all the right things about the Noles, but a UM win by a large margin over the Seminoles might be the nail in the coffin (although he won’t be able to make that game in person). Same as Nunn, Miami is working to get mom on board with UM, as she has yet to be convinced Fuller will fit at Miami. Another interesting development: this is yet another prospect on the board that Alabama has made a move for and Fuller has begun to be personally recruited by Nick Saban.

11. Jordan Battle, S, Fort Lauderdale, FL (St. Thomas) (Last: 8)

Ht 6-1 | Wt 185 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #103 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Battle has next-level instincts at DB and displays great hip-flip when running with receivers. He was consistently impressive throughout many camps this off-season and will make an outstanding defensive back at the next level.

In The Mix: It’s Ohio State, then Miami and Oklahoma, then UF and LSU.

Latest: In the past month, OSU retained Urban Meyer, and that’s really all that Battle wanted to hear from the beginning; everything else was just static. Miami had a bit of momentum with people around Battle initially, due to how poorly the OSU press conference and investigative report was handled, but I think that’s died out a lot in the past few weeks, as this is 100% Battle’s decision to make. I think he sticks with OSU, with Miami and Oklahoma continuing to push as the most likely options if it’s not the Buckeyes.

12. Tyrique Stevenson, S, Miami, FL (Miami Southridge) (Last: 11)

Ht 6-2 | Wt 200 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #41 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Stevenson just smothers receivers in the passing game and has that rare ability to take half the field away from an opposing offense. The Southridge star runs well for his size and features elite closing speed, while also showing potential as a rangy safety prospect.

In The Mix: This is all Miami and Georgia, with Alabama also making a push for Stevenson’s signature as well.

Latest: I’ve not heard anything in the last month that would make me change my mind on Stevenson being a UGA-lean. Stevenson has visited UM twice in the past month and he plans on visiting UM for the FSU game and Georgia for their tilt against Auburn. No, I don’t think Miami is out of this just yet, but things are certainly headed in the wrong direction in terms of eventually keeping Stevenson home at UM.

13. Kenny McIntosh, RB, Fort Lauderdale, FL (University School) (Last: 12)

Ht 6-1 | Wt 205 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #186 Overall

Behind The Ranking: McIntosh has good burst through line of scrimmage to rip through arm tackles and attacks the second level well. He runs with plus-effort every time he touches the ball and always keeps his feet moving at first contact. He has also surprised me as a receiver out of the backfield, showing great route running ability and quality hands. He’s truly a complete back.

In The Mix: Oklahoma is running in front, with Miami, Auburn, Alabama, and Michigan also involved.

Latest: McIntosh has decided to go ahead and take all of his official visits, with the lineup being Oklahoma (Sept. 29), Miami (Oct. 6), Michigan (Nov. 3), and Alabama (Nov. 24). McIntosh also took his first official last week to Auburn for their matchup against LSU. Oklahoma is still ahead here and my position has strengthened on that since last month, but Miami has a chance to make up ground when he’s at Hard Rock for the FSU game next month.

14. Kardell Thomas, OG, Baton Rouge, LA (Southern University Lab) (Last: 13)

Ht 6-3 | Wt 355 | 247 Composite: 5-Star, #29 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Thomas’ aggression and mean-streak are no joke, and that’s a scary proposition at his size. He is simply nasty in his demeanor and his goal is to pummel you into submission. That’s only part of the equation, though. Due to his overly physical play, I think it’s also lost on some how sound he is technique wise with his hands and quick feet.

In The Mix: The LSU commit is also considering schools like USC, Penn State, Miami, and FSU.

Latest: The good news is that Miami is still slated to get an official from Thomas during the season, as he has maintained that he will OV for the FSU game next month, and that seems to be his only current official he’s set up so far. The bad news is that he’s been committed to LSU for over two years now and it will take a lot for a team to sway him off that. It also probably didn’t help that LSU worked the Canes in week 1. Recently, Thomas took an unofficial visit to LSU two weeks back for the Southeastern Louisiana game and I see him sticking with the Tigers in the end. However, hosting him on an OV to Miami is the first step, and anything can happen from there.

15. Akeem Dent, CB, West Palm Beach, FL (Palm Beach Central) (Last: NR)

Ht 5-11 | Wt 180 | 247 Composite: 5-Star, #32 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Dent is an extremely fluid and athletic corner, but what really sets him apart from the pack is his violent and physical demeanor on the field. Dent is one of those rare corners that is not afraid to lower the wood and take somebody’s head off, as he plays the line of scrimmage very well. He also has an extra gear that makes him seem like he was shot out of a cannon. Dent’s ball skills are off the charts as well. What’s not to love? He’s the complete package.

In The Mix: The FSU commit seems to only be showing interest in Miami and Alabama other than the Noles.

Latest: Frequent followers of the site know I don’t see Dent coming to Miami whatsoever, but he is at least making visits, so that gets him on the board over Darnell Wright. Miami certainly has never given up on him, and their persistence paid off in the form of an unofficial visit from Dent in the home opener against Savannah State. To be honest, that’s farther than I even thought they’d get. What will be more interesting to see will be if Dent returns for a full official visit weekend. Until then, I’d say Alabama has the best shot at him if he were to flip from FSU.

Falling Off

15. Darnell Wright, OT: There’s been eight months of Miami official visit talk and still no concrete plans to take one to Coral Gables. Even if he does make that visit, I’m not sure Miami can overtake Tennessee or Alabama’s lead right now. He’s visiting UT unofficially this weekend.

Advertisement
3 things come from this IMO. 1. Bogle has to come for the FSU game I think he wants us but like many kids in the past don't see the ov as important id you've been on campus many times but its just the feel it's ******* FSU week bruh. 2. **** Alabama they're like roaches in an apartment that never goes away until you bring flesh eatinf gas to destroy them. 3. FSU week will be special and the true nail in FSWho coffin. Great job Stefan

Advertisement
Love how Bogle cancelling visits now. Last week to Ole **** and now to Tennessee according to Volquest guy. Wonder if the bags dried up after the knee injury?

So the depth chart at DB is wide open and there are 3 blue chip DBs in South Florida (Stevenson, Elam, Battle) and the staff is gonna strike out on all of them?
:stephenahand:
I don't consider Battle a strike out. If his mind is set on Ohio unless u got bags its done. The others maybe

Advertisement
McIntosh interest elsewhere is understandable. We are deep at the RB position with more to coma next year. We should be thankful that Bama only has so many they can take just like everyone else.

McIntosh interest elsewhere is understandable. We are deep at the RB position with more to coma next year. We should be thankful that Bama only has so many they can take just like everyone else.
Miami probably only takes Crowley if Homer stays and as of right now Homer ain’t going anywhere.

Advertisement
No chance on Wright. You guys have been listening too much to the bs that one dude has been throwing at us.

Why are people so negative about Wright to the Canes? Just don't know enough about the situation to understand the negativity, not trying to say I'm doubting you.

Advertisement
Why are people so negative about Wright to the Canes? Just don't know enough about the situation to understand the negativity, not trying to say I'm doubting you.
Miami doesn’t get elite out of state o lineman. Seantel Henderson was the last one and Miami got lucky there. I can’t bring myself to believe some guy who supposedly is close to the situation. As I keep saying, if Miami lands him I will be the first to apologize to this guy but as for now I can’t believe him.

That was depressing. Out of the 15 mentioned - what are your thoughts?

I'll take a shot:

80/20: Bogle
60/40: Neal, Ingraham

50/50: Summerall, Zipperer, Nunn

40/60: Richards, Haslewood
30/70: McIntosh, Stephenson, Dent, Weaver, Fuller
10/90: Battle, Thomas

How can Nunn's mom push for a team, fsu, that has not offered her son? CMR as a below average OC and Rosier's inability to complete passes are an issue for attracting skill players IMO. Some kind of we we have to elevate our play and beat the average D-1 teams we've lost to the last 4 times.

Advertisement
Back