2019 Freshman 15: April Edition (Part 2)

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
This is Part 2 of the Freshman 15. You can find Part 1 here.

8. Josh Sanguinetti, CB/S, Fort Lauderdale, FL (University School) (Last: 8)

Ht 6-2 | Wt 170 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #50 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Sanguinetti has next-level instincts at DB and displays great hip-flip when running with receivers. He’d make an outstanding corner or safety at the next level.

In The Mix: Sanguinetti told CIS recently that Miami, Stanford, Ohio St, and Florida are his top group.

Latest: Sanguinetti’s been quiet lately, and unlike most other prospects, hasn’t really been taking trips in the spring. He was unable to make UM’s Junior Day a few weeks back, but Miami really stands out in Sanguinetti’s mind and he loves that Miami has slowly been bringing the swagger back to the program. Sanguinetti has visited both the Canes and Stanford multiple times, and those two are his clear leaders. As always, getting actually admitted to Stanford is a hurdle, so keep an eye on that. Also it’s interesting to note that Sanguinetti and teammate Kenny McIntosh (discussed later) keep saying they want to play together in college. If McIntosh, considered a Miami lean, pulls the trigger for the Canes soon, that puts the pressure on Sanguinetti. If that happens, we expect Sanguinetti to announce for UM.

9. Jaquaze Sorrells, DT, Largo, FL (Largo) (Last: 7)

Ht 6-3 | Wt 270 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #83 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Sorrells is well built, with a thick college-ready frame from head to toe. Sorrells has a natural bend about his style of play that lends itself to an ease of movement and agility for a man of his size. He has experience playing both inside and outside and is able to generate a powerful bull-rush with speed/power drives into offensive tackles.

In The Mix: Miami and Clemson are at the peak here, while Florida, Oregon, Alabama and Texas A&M are trying to break through.

Latest: Sorrells was on campus for Junior Day at Miami, and stopped in to see another one of his favorites, Texas A&M, this spring. He’s also planning an Alabama visit soon. We’re still seeing this as a Clemson-Miami battle for now, but the feel on Sorrells is definitely trending to him going out-of-state, with Oregon, Texas A&M, and Alabama all right there making strong pushes.

10. Braylen Ingraham, DE/DT, Fort Lauderdale, FL (St. Thomas) (Last: 11)

Ht 6-4 | Wt 260 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #229 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Ingraham is the type of hybrid prospect the Canes love, with the ability to play both inside and outside. The Hurricanes would likely move him to DT as he continues to grow to allow his speed and athleticism to become a mismatch against slower offensive guards.

In The Mix: Miami is Ingraham’s leader, with Clemson, Oklahoma, and Auburn also involved.

Latest: Ingraham continues to publicly list Miami as his leader. Ingraham visited Miami for Junior Day, is coming off a UF trip last weekend, and will be at Oklahoma this weekend for his first official visit. Now that he’s gone on some trips and seen some sights, Ingraham has something to compare to Miami. We’d feel better if he just pulled the trigger for UM sooner rather than later instead of dragging it out, but this is Miami’s one to lose.

11. Kenny McIntosh, RB, Fort Lauderdale, FL (University School) (Last: 15)

Ht 6-1 | Wt 205 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #109 Overall

Behind The Ranking: McIntosh has good burst through line of scrimmage to rip through arm tackles and attacks the second level. He runs with plus effort every time he touches the ball and always keeps his feet moving at first contact.

In The Mix: Miami, Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan, and Florida are involved.

Latest: Things continue to move in a positive direction for McIntosh and Miami, so he gets a nice bump on this board. McIntosh has exclusively visited Miami this spring, popping up on campus for Junior Day. Notre Dame and Ohio State are still hanging around, but the Canes are expecting McIntosh in this class to pair with Marcus Crowley. I think that will be the two-man RB class, and of course if a five-star talent like Trey Sanders wants in, you take him no questions asked.

12. Keontra Smith, LB/S, Hollywood, FL (Chaminade-Madonna) (Last: NR)

Ht 5-11 | Wt 195 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #209 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Smith is well-built safety that is currently combine testing extremely well. Diaz and Banda love what he can do as a box safety and he's a very good fit for what they're trying to do on defense. Smith is in the “striker” mold, a new, hybrid LB/S position in the UM defense.

In The Mix: Smith is committed to Kentucky, but Miami is thought to be his leader.

Latest: Smith remains publicly committed to UK, but all our intel is telling CIS that he’s waiting to commit to Miami until after he’s finished with his spring visits. I expect him to be a Cane by the end of the month. Recruiting locks or certainties are not real things and I don’t believe in them; most kids change their mind every day and even they don’t even know where they’ll end up half the time. But, aside from legacy/family connections, Smith is as close to one as you’ll find.

13. Te'Cory Couch, CB/S, Hollywood, FL (Chaminade-Madonna) (Last: NR)

Ht 5-10 | Wt 155 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #292 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Couch is a DB with a slight build, but he simply just makes plays and has great speed. Couch profiles best as a slot corner that can mix it up with inside receivers, however, he shows the technique to play on the outside as well, riding receivers out of bounds for example.

In The Mix: Couch is committed to Tennessee, but Miami and Michigan are his co-leaders.

Latest: Similar to his teammate Smith, Couch remains publicly committed to an SEC school. However, unlike Smith, Couch told CIS that two other schools are actually his leaders in Miami and Michigan. Right. As you can see, this is an interesting process to watch to say the least. Couch is in Michigan this weekend, but we see this as a similar situation to his teammate. Unless something crazy happens, once Couch returns from his visit up north, he will announce for Miami shortly thereafter.

14. Avery Huff, LB, Fort Lauderdale, FL (St. Thomas) (Last: NR)

Ht 6-3 | Wt 200 | 247 Composite: 4-Star, #322 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Huff plays with a violent and reckless abandon, demonstrating the “killer-instinct” mentality that it takes to succeed as a LB at the next level. He pairs that with great speed and shows he is a disruptive force behind the line of scrimmage. With Solomon’s commitment, Huff is the new top target at LB.

In The Mix: Miami, FSU, Alabama, and Kentucky are the current top players for Huff’s signature.

Latest: Huff recently told CIS that the Canes were in his top 3 and was also on campus for Miami’s Junior Day last month, saying he felt the school was “meant for him”. While the visit itself may not seem significant, Huff has now visited Miami twice in the past two months and, unlike most prospects, he’s not a guy that has spent his spring taking a lot of visits. Sources have told CIS that they feel very, very strongly he will announce for the Hurricanes when he makes his choice on July 21st. On a related note, we’re hearing a lot of noise on Jesiah Pierre to the Gators; he’ll be on flip-watch this weekend when he’s at UF’s spring game. If Pierre were to leave the class, Huff’s importance to Surge19 (and place on this list) would rise considerably.

15. Trey Sanders, RB, Bradenton, FL (IMG Academy) (Last: NR)

Ht 6-0 | Wt 210 | 247 Composite: 5-Star, #6 Overall

Behind The Ranking: Sanders is just a freak athlete, plain and simple. He sports incredible burst, balance, and vision, while also showing the awareness to do the little things well, like switching the ball to his outside hand when running. You probably couldn’t create a better RB prospect in a lab.

In The Mix: Miami, Florida, FSU, and Alabama are some top schools here.

Latest: Sanders has now visited Miami twice in the past two months and it’s hard to leave off such a truly elite talent that keeps making trips to campus on his own dime. That being said, I have serious doubts that Sanders will ultimately end up with Miami. Sources close to the situation have the Gators out in front for Sanders and his older brother just committed to play at UF as a preferred walk-on as well. Another feather in the cap of the Gators is that mom reportedly wants him in Gainesville. Sanders was also on UF’s campus last weekend to visit with the rest of his IMG teammates. Miami is trending down here, but you have to keep battling for a top 10 national prospect that is showing interest and hope you can flip the script.

Falling off

10. CB Chris Steele: He’s now set up four official visits to other schools, none of which is to Miami, and there’s at least five others in the mix for his final OV. If he actually shows up to Paradise like he told CIS he would, then this will likely change.

12. LB Ge’mon Eaford: Miami looks set at OLB with Solomon and Samuel Brooks. Even if he were somehow able to sneak into this class, it would be a luxury and not a need at this point.

14. OG Dontae Lucas: Just too much uncertainty here, and along with many other talented prospects that have shown concrete interest, it’s not enough to keep him on the board.

Advertisement
FYI Sanders is not trending down here

I know you have a connection with a S&C Coach at IMG and he says Sanders loves Brown and hangs out with the Miami Group of IMG kids. Does he get the vibe that Sanders will do the family thing and play with his bro, or that Sanders marches to the beat of his own drum? I have seen big time prospects do both before and just kind of wanted to see if you had any insight with that. Thanks.

I know you have a connection with a S&C Coach at IMG and he says Sanders loves Brown and hangs out with the Miami Group of IMG kids. Does he get the vibe that Sanders will do the family thing and play with his bro, or that Sanders marches to the beat of his own drum? I have seen big time prospects do both before and just kind of wanted to see if you had any insight with that. Thanks.

We just talked the other day about Sanders because like Bookie last year, Sanders is probably my favorite 2019 recruit.

He still says that Sanders is all Miami but Florida is making it interesting because he has never played on the same team as his brother and Gainesville is closer and more family could make the games.

He also said to me, watch out for Auburn.

Advertisement
Do we really have any sort of shot with Wright? Just feel like I haven't seen much about him.

Do we really have any sort of shot with Wright? Just feel like I haven't seen much about him.

It's hard to say since he hasn't visited and we don't have any sources in WV. He's also a quieter type kid, doesn't talk to media as much, we've tried to get him in on an interview and no luck yet. Everyone is saying OSU is in the best spot with him for now. However, I really wouldn't count Hartley out especially with so many connections in WV, he's proven he can make big out of state pulls.

He is from WV and his family dont really have money to visit all around the country.

Also he has a former teammate at UNC and another local lineman from Huntington that plays at Tennessee.

It's hard to say since he hasn't visited and we don't have any sources in WV. He's also a quieter type kid, doesn't talk to media as much, we've tried to get him in on an interview and no luck yet. Everyone is saying OSU is in the best spot with him for now. However, I really wouldn't count Hartley out especially with so many connections in WV, he's proven he can make big out of state pulls.
if Twitter is any indication, he is. In the last 60 follows, 17 of them are Miami-related.

Advertisement
We just talked the other day about Sanders because like Bookie last year, Sanders is probably my favorite 2019 recruit.

He still says that Sanders is all Miami but Florida is making it interesting because he has never played on the same team as his brother and Gainesville is closer and more family could make the games.

He also said to me, watch out for Auburn.
I LOVED Bookie too. Dude is an absolute dog and will be a star at OU. Seriously wish we would've went after him.

Will be interesting to keep tabs on with us not having an OT commits right now lol.

Any chance an updated version of this will be coming out prior to the season, @Stefan Adams?

Would be interesting to see who we have left on our board that is a realistic target

Seeing as how only MAR and maybe Neal are the only remaining potential candidates from the initial 1-7 listed

Any chance an updated version of this will be coming out prior to the season, @Stefan Adams?

Would be interesting to see who we have left on our board that is a realistic target

Seeing as how only MAR and maybe Neal are the only remaining potential candidates from the initial 1-7 listed

There's been one once a month every month, this is from April. July will be out tomorrow.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back