2019 DB Kaiir Elam loves what Miami is building

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
As one of the best athletes on his team, 2019 North Palm Beach (FL) 4-star CB Kaiir Elam plays on both sides of the field for his Benjamin School team. Although he had a big junior season on the gridiron, the Canes have been on him for a while, offering Elam last May.

“I felt like I didn’t dominate offensively like I did last year because I was well known and doubled most of the time,” Elam said of his play on the attacking side of the ball in his junior year. “Defensively, I locked down everyone in front of me like I should. I had only 4 catches caught on me, which I didn’t like but I think I did well.”

While Elam, who lists himself at 6’1.5” and 180 pounds, is a naturally gifted talent that can excel at almost any position at the high school level, he prefers to play on the stop-unit in college.

“I play wide receiver and return punts, but I just want to play corner and return punts in college,” Elam said.

And corner is where he is being recruited by Miami. The Canes DB coach tandem of Ephraim Banda and Mike Rumph have been in contact with Elam, however, the talented rising senior wishes he would hear from the Canes more.

“I hear from coach Banda and coach Rumph occasionally,” Elam said. “But the corners coaches for Auburn, Clemson, Stanford, Florida, Louisville, Florida St., Syracuse, Georgia Tech, and Ohio State text me every other day.”

Elam attended Paradise camp last year and will try and make another appearance at the 2018 version.

“I loved the atmosphere at UM when I went,” Elam said. “Also, I like what Coach Richt is doing at UM.”

What head coach Mark Richt is doing at UM is piling up wins on the field, winning the ACC Coastal for the first time in Miami history in 2017. Elam is not shy to admit that the Canes recent winning ways have lifted them up a bit in his mind.

“Yes it does,” Elam said of Miami big 2017 season on the field impacting his recruitment for the better. “Everyone’s attracted to winning and I expect for it to keep going.”

That attraction will help the Canes get Elam on campus very soon: he plans a trip to Coral Gables, but first will head to two SEC programs and an ACC school.

“I definitely plan to visit Miami,” Elam said. “I have some schools coming up next week: Georgia, Auburn, and Clemson.”

Out at the Rivals 3 Stripe Miami Camp last month, Elam gave a lockdown performance and was sticking to his man all day. His exploits on the day earned him DB MVP of the camp and he talked about what it was like winning that honor in a loaded field of participants.

“It was great man. A lot of hard work paying off,” said Elam. “Glad I got to show people I could cover and get after receivers.”

Elam plans on taking the recruiting process slow and likely won’t decide on a destination until December at the earliest. What that one school will be able to offer is a comforting atmosphere and a chance to see the field right away.

“I’m planning on committing after my senior season,” Elam said. “Also, I’m looking for a school where I can play early and a great environment.”

And what is it that Elam is looking forward to most in his final year in high school?

“Locking down every one in front of me,” said Elam. “Dominating on offense and causing turnovers on defense.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
How does he compare to the cbs we are recruiting more aggressively?

I was a little surprised by that quote because, to me, there's little to no difference between him and the other guys to be honest. Kid's a freak and an absolute difference-making talent. While you may like guys like Stevenson, Sanguinetti, or Steele slightly more, there's no guarantees there. Elam is a definite take and should be recruited as hard as those others imo

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
"I have some schools coming up next week: Georgia, Auburn, and Clemson.” We all know what this means... ;)

Need to give him the full court press. He’s a dawg!!! You get Elam, Stevenson, Steele and pair them with Frierson, Hall, Bandy & Blades who are already Canes and you getting some trash talking in your face dawgs in that secondary....LISTEN MAN

He knows the palm beach dbs we have gotten the last 2 classes very well gurvan Hall and amari carter. Saw a pic of them working out with Kair Elam and Matt Elam a few days back

My choice would be Elam and Davis at CB and Sanguinetti and Stevenson at SS. I know there are other local safeties we have offered that are top caliber and the alabaga commit from Lakeland

Advertisement
Back