2019 Charleston Classic

Man, UConn plays a suffocating, physical, in-your-face defense. As I see it, our best hope is that they suffer a let down from losing.

Their big man -- Carlton -- should have a field day against Miller. He's exactly what we need, and don't have, underneath. Gotta be able to put the ball on the floor and create your own shot against UConn. That's not our team's forte so expect a tough one.

I don't think Lykes and DJ will see many open three looks. McGusty would be my pick to be our go-to guy.

Advertisement

The Charleston Classic exposed two issues on the Miami roster. A lack of athleticism and a very weak frontcourt, particularly the starting 4 and 5 spot.

How about coaching? It continued to expose that.

I was trying to be nice but that is definitely on the list. I just hope Coach L realizes Sam and Rodney are not starters at this level. I think Coach L will sell us next season will be better when Nysier Brooks is eligible but he really needs to add two freshman bigs with the last two scholarships in the 2020 recruiting class.

Coach L went out on a limb for Sam and Rodney and they are letting him down. I feel bad for Coach L but he brought this on himself by not adding more frontcourt help in the off-season.

Hopefully, he does not make the same mistake twice. He has two scholarships left and he needs two players who provide immediate help for next season. Two freshman would be better. Two sit-out transfers are not an option.

Advertisement

Coach L went out on a limb for Sam and Rodney and they are letting him down. I feel bad for Coach L but he brought this on himself by not adding more frontcourt help in the off-season.

Hopefully, he does not make the same mistake twice. He has two scholarships left and he needs two players who provide immediate help for next season. Two freshman would be better. Two sit-out transfers are not an option.

Feel bad for him? The guy is collecting checks doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

The lack of front court talent was a blaringly obvious reality to anyone paying even a little attention to UM hoops. This, like football, is 100% on coaching failure.

Both on the skill development, strength and conditioning along with talent acquisition. Honestly, Rodney and Sam are not starters at this level.

Advertisement
They aren't P5 scholarship level players. They are mid-major bench players.

At this point, I agree with you. Partly because they have not developed in their skillset nor strength and conditioning. It is good that Rodney lost weight but he still need to get stronger. Sam also needs to get stronger and that is on the coaches.

At this point, I agree with you. Partly because they have not developed in their skillset nor strength and conditioning. It is good that Rodney lost weight but he still need to get stronger. Sam also needs to get stronger and that is on the coaches.
Sam's freshman year is exactly how he should be utilized to this day. Have no idea why it was put in his head he needs to play like a more traditional 4. He is a stretch 4/ Large 3 that can stretch the defense by shooting it from outside. His freshman year he was a weapon off the bench shooting spot 3's, that part of his game has completely disappeared since then. Even his form looks completely changed. Don't understand.

Last edited:
Sam's freshman year is exactly how he should be utilized to this day. Have no idea why it was put in his head he needs to play like a more traditional 4. He is a stretch 4/ Large 3 that can stretch the defense by shooting it form outside. His freshman year he was a weapon off the bench shooting spot 3's, that part of his game has completely disappeared since then. Even his form looks completely changed. Don't understand.

Great point. He and Rodney have proven they are rotational players off the bench and not starters. Hopefully, Coach L will realize that also.

Advertisement
I'm sorry for beating a dead horse. Please tell me where I am wrong, if wrong. We (Canes, Coach L, Caputo, etc) get who we can get. Recruiting may be average, optimistic, super, I don't know, but whatever our recruiting quality is gets us who we get.

Obviously we don't get many 1-and-dones, far from it. Most obviously have potential. And are recruited (given offers) by 4-8 other teams of various renown. Coach & staff - their ability to teach, maybe get someone closer to being an NBA prospect, and their reputation is part of why these guys choose over someone else in the 4-8 making offers. Integrity is very important. You tell prospect xyz you will play unless there is someone better than you in the wings ready to go. You may also tell "we treat our experienced seniors the best; we don't rebuild, i won't play some freshmen that are 1-2 years away from ripeness just to help us in the future -at YOUR expense. Thats my philosophy" (And i think it is Coach L's philosophy - right or wrong.)

So these guys sign, they know the word is Coach L means what he says. Many turn out to be duds, Sam and Miller and Lykes and others. They aren't hopeless but they are very disappointing. But they are still somewhat more adequate than the freshmen - full of energy and enthusiasm and hopes and dreams - that are a year or so off from reliability.

So Coach L doesnt play the up and comers as much, keeping his word to Sam and DJ and Lykes and such... assuming when he tries to recruit another XYZ next year, he can say the same promise, hopefully which helps, and his word will not be questioned because he went back on it with Sam and Lykes. No? So as much as we mostly crave seeing these young guys play more, and play into ACC adequacy, it aint gonna happen while Coach L is here.

True. Coach L still thinks he is at a mid-major school where 3 goods seasons out of 9 years is acceptable. He has not realized that he is expected to win every year at Miami.
LMAO no he's not.

This school doesn't care if the football team wins. You think they care if the basketball program is below average?

I'm sorry for beating a dead horse. Please tell me where I am wrong, if wrong. We (Canes, Coach L, Caputo, etc) get who we can get. Recruiting may be average, optimistic, super, I don't know, but whatever our recruiting quality is gets us who we get.

Obviously we don't get many 1-and-dones, far from it. Most obviously have potential. And are recruited (given offers) by 4-8 other teams of various renown. Coach & staff - their ability to teach, maybe get someone closer to being an NBA prospect, and their reputation is part of why these guys choose over someone else in the 4-8 making offers. Integrity is very important. You tell prospect xyz you will play unless there is someone better than you in the wings ready to go. You may also tell "we treat our experienced seniors the best; we don't rebuild, i won't play some freshmen that are 1-2 years away from ripeness just to help us in the future -at YOUR expense. Thats my philosophy" (And i think it is Coach L's philosophy - right or wrong.)

So these guys sign, they know the word is Coach L means what he says. Many turn out to be duds, Sam and Miller and Lykes and others. They aren't hopeless but they are very disappointing. But they are still somewhat more adequate than the freshmen - full of energy and enthusiasm and hopes and dreams - that are a year or so off from reliability.

So Coach L doesnt play the up and comers as much, keeping his word to Sam and DJ and Lykes and such... assuming when he tries to recruit another XYZ next year, he can say the same promise, hopefully which helps, and his word will not be questioned because he went back on it with Sam and Lykes. No? So as much as we mostly crave seeing these young guys play more, and play into ACC adequacy, it aint gonna happen while Coach L is here.
That sounds like a guy that would be an absolute nightmare to play for.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back