2019 4-star WR Keyton has UM in top 6, updates recruitment

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
With top priority Frank Ladson choosing the Clemson Tigers last weekend, the Canes’ wide receiver board for the class of 2019 has been shaken up a bit. While the coaches could be satisfied with just Jeremiah Payton’s commitment at WR in Surge19, expect the UM staff to do their due diligence and explore all options. One player you could start to see more traction with is Marietta (GA) 4-star WR Ramel Keyton, who already has a Miami offer and plenty of interest in the Hurricanes. He was on campus in Coral Gables a few weeks back and liked what he saw.

“I went to Miami a couple weeks ago and I liked the coaches up there,” Keyton said. “Coach Dugans and I have a good relationship.”

Keyton recently included UM in his top 6 schools, along with Ohio State, Penn State, Ole Miss, Auburn, and Tennessee. Miami is not the only member of Keyton’s top group to get a visit this spring; he’s also seen Tennessee and Auburn as well. The other half of Keyton’s favorites will have to wait until after spring to get him on campus, though.

“I don’t have anything set right now for later visits.”

The 6’3” 191 pound Keyton can see himself fitting into the offense at Miami and loves UM’s track record of putting players in the NFL. The Peach State product also recognizes what Mark Richt is doing at Miami and predicts UM will continue to have success.

“I like the offense that they run because they throw a lot and they also send a lot of people to the league,” Keyton said. “The season they just had was great, they’re on the way to winning a natty soon.”

At Marietta this season, Keyton will re-team with 2020 Miami WR commit Jermaine Burton to form a dynamic duo at wide-out for the Blue Devils in 2018. Burton is transferring back to the school for his junior year after a season at IMG Academy and Keyton has a great relationship with the younger receiver.

“Jermaine’s my boy, he’s always trying to get me to commit to Miami.”

Even though Keyton spent his junior season at Marietta doing numbers and combining with elite 2020 4-star QB Harrison Bailey to generate an electric passing offense, the team still finished 8-5. That’s why, for his upcoming senior season, all Keyton cares about is winning.

“Last year, I did pretty good. I had 59 catches, 1294 yards, and 16 TD’s, but we fell short,” Keyton said. “My senior year, all I want is to win a championship.”

As for a timeline for a commitment, Keyton plans to have a decision made before the season starts to focus on Marietta’s championship run and he says an announcement could come as soon as next month even.

“Probably in May or summertime,” Keyton said on his commitment plans.

When it comes time to sit down and hammer out a decision, Keyton’s school of choice will have won over his mother and offer him a chance to play early.

“I want to play somewhere that my mom likes and I’m comfortable with the staff,” Keyton said. “And I want to go to a place where I could start freshman year.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm not concerned with who bring in at WR to pair with Payton. Continue to recruit and evaluate guys. If we strike out on big names, gimme Kalani Norris.

Everything I read seemed great till I read he wants to go somewhere he could start freshman year… Coaches will make him realize that the process, growth and development is more important that taking the majority of the snaps freshman year.

Ohio State, Penn State, Ole Miss, Auburn, and Tennessee

Which of those schools can offer a first year starting position? MAYBE Ole Miss, but the other four do very well in recruiting and are likely not to be so desperate for a WR that a freshman can just waltz in with a guarantee.

We probably only need 1 WR in this class, but I think we'll end up taking 2.

No idea who it could be - perhaps someone that's not even on the board at the moment.

We better not quit recruiting Ladson is we are only taking 2 WRs this year.

Advertisement
We Mauel out I dont think we should only be looking for one anymore but Id be swinging for the top guys only. Go for the best of the best and if you stike out you take 1 and see where you stand with next year's deep class.

With top priority Frank Ladson choosing the Clemson Tigers last weekend, the Canes’ wide receiver board for the class of 2019 has been shaken up a bit. While the coaches could be satisfied with just Jeremiah Payton’s commitment at WR in Surge19, expect the UM staff to do their due diligence and explore all options. One player you could start to see more traction with is Marietta (GA) 4-star WR Ramel Keyton, who already has a Miami offer and plenty of interest in the Hurricanes. He was on campus in Coral Gables a few weeks back and liked what he saw.

“I went to Miami a couple weeks ago and I liked the coaches up there,” Keyton said. “Coach Dugans and I have a good relationship.”

Keyton recently included UM in his top 6 schools, along with Ohio State, Penn State, Ole Miss, Auburn, and Tennessee. Miami is not the only member of Keyton’s top group to get a visit this spring; he’s also seen Tennessee and Auburn as well. The other half of Keyton’s favorites will have to wait until after spring to get him on campus, though.

“I don’t have anything set right now for later visits.”

The 6’3” 191 pound Keyton can see himself fitting into the offense at Miami and loves UM’s track record of putting players in the NFL. The Peach State product also recognizes what Mark Richt is doing at Miami and predicts UM will continue to have success.

“I like the offense that they run because they throw a lot and they also send a lot of people to the league,” Keyton said. “The season they just had was great, they’re on the way to winning a natty soon.”

At Marietta this season, Keyton will re-team with 2020 Miami WR commit Jermaine Burton to form a dynamic duo at wide-out for the Blue Devils in 2018. Burton is transferring back to the school for his junior year after a season at IMG Academy and Keyton has a great relationship with the younger receiver.

“Jermaine’s my boy, he’s always trying to get me to commit to Miami.”

Even though Keyton spent his junior season at Marietta doing numbers and combining with elite 2020 4-star QB Harrison Bailey to generate an electric passing offense, the team still finished 8-5. That’s why, for his upcoming senior season, all Keyton cares about is winning.

“Last year, I did pretty good. I had 59 catches, 1294 yards, and 16 TD’s, but we fell short,” Keyton said. “My senior year, all I want is to win a championship.”

As for a timeline for a commitment, Keyton plans to have a decision made before the season starts to focus on Marietta’s championship run and he says an announcement could come as soon as next month even.

“Probably in May or summertime,” Keyton said on his commitment plans.

When it comes time to sit down and hammer out a decision, Keyton’s school of choice will have won over his mother and offer him a chance to play early.

“I want to play somewhere that my mom likes and I’m comfortable with the staff,” Keyton said. “And I want to go to a place where I could start freshman year.”

Don't forget the QB WOW nice throws , what's the scoop on him also ?

GOCANES

We probably only need 1 WR in this class, but I think we'll end up taking 2.

No idea who it could be - perhaps someone that's not even on the board at the moment.

Think we should have 2. Losing Langham and potentially Cager and Richards.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Definitely prefer if we'd just put our time towards keeping payton and getting our needs on OL and DL filled...

Someone at the game saturday said Hartley jumped Payton when he saw him at the field. Made a big deal over him, etc. Payton also said in his little post visit interview that the coaches made him feel very welcome. Pretty sure he will get a lot of "love"

Ohio State, Penn State, Ole Miss, Auburn, and Tennessee

Which of those schools can offer a first year starting position? MAYBE Ole Miss, but the other four do very well in recruiting and are likely not to be so desperate for a WR that a freshman can just waltz in with a guarantee.
UTK's cupboard is bare. They'll take anybody warm body they can get. Depending on who else they sign, he could get early playing time.

Advertisement
Back