2019 4-star Battle names Miami to top 5

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2019 St. Thomas 4-star DB Jordan Battle was one of the standouts in a loaded field of participants at the Under Armour All-America Miami camp yesterday, gliding through the air effortlessly on his many pass break-ups. His performance got him recognized by the Under Armour brass and Battle was honored after the camp as one of four new invitees to the UA All-America Game in January 2019.

“It feels good,” Battle said. “I performed very well. I had one pass caught on me, it was a slant. So, I’m just gonna recover from that and get better.”

Battle is looked to as a senior leader at St. Thomas now after a huge junior year on the field. The Raiders suffered a tough loss in last year’s state semifinals matchup against eventual champ Venice HS, and it’s the pain of that loss that fuels Battle and his teammates during the off-season.

“I played great,” Battle said. “I had 56 tackles and 5 interceptions, plus 2 returns (for touchdowns). I have the feeling we have to step up for next year, so the same thing doesn’t happen again. We need more leadership, the leaders have to give more than the leaders last year. I’m most excited about our defense next year of course, we’re loaded. We got a bunch of DB’s, linebackers too, (Anthony) Solomon and Jahmar (Brown), (Derek) Wingo too… Braylen (Ingraham) on the D-Line.”

If Sunday’s camp is any indication, Battle and the Raiders will be just fine for his senior season. Battle’s teammates at STA on the offensive side of the ball had a day as well at the UA All-America Miami camp, with 2020 receivers Xavier Restrepo and Marcus Rosemy looking like dangerous weapons.

“I liked their competitiveness for sure,” Battle said of Restrepo and Rosemy. “We do the same thing every day in practice.”

After dominating on the field as a junior and turning in some impressive camp performances, Battle finally landed an offer from his hometown Miami Hurricanes back on February 16th.

“It was great, you know, and I liked the fans showing love after I posted about the offer too,” said Battle.

S coach Ephraim Banda and CB coach Mike Rumph have made Battle’s recruitment a tag-team effort, and the gridiron star has formed a close connection with the two Canes coaches. It’s those relationships that have UM under heavy consideration in Battle’s mind.

“I like them because of coach Rumph, he’s one of my favorite coaches,” said Battle. “Also, coach Banda contacts me almost every day. He’s a family man, just had a baby too.”

After receiving his offer, Battle took a Miami visit the next day with some of his talented defensive teammates at STA and all are plenty interested in what the Canes have to offer. They were: Anthony Solomon, Jaden Davis, Avery Huff, Jahmar Brown, and Derek Wingo. Battle also visited the month before in January for the Duke basketball game.

“I went to both the Duke and Syracuse basketball games,” Battle said. “I liked it, watching the games, talking to the coaches.”

The Canes actually received a commitment on Battle’s February visit, from none other than 4-star WR Jeremiah Payton.

“I heard about the actual commitment after the fact, but we got the idea he was gonna do it on the visit, he was talking about it.”

When asked about any top groups or leaders, Battle gave me his current top 5, which included the Canes.

“Ohio State, Miami, Oklahoma, and Georgia lead right now,” said Battle before adding: “and Florida too.”

Battle is enjoying the recruiting process, but has a plan on how he will wrap things up. His school of choice will be able to offer great DB coaching, as well as a top notch business school education.

“I’m gonna drop my list by the end of spring, and probably decide by the middle of the season in fall,” Battle said. “I’m looking for good coaching at my position and my major too, business.”

Advertisement
Get him as one of our safeties for sure. Just get me 6 DBs.
Stevenson, Steele, Elam, Richards, Battle, Sanguinetti would be legit.
Jaden Davis if we can get him obviously. Crouch if we miss on any of the dudes listed.

Oklahoma seems to be worming their way in for a lot of these kids lately.

Is that a particular assistant or the Baker Mayfield effect?

Advertisement
If we let Battle slip away that will be a really bad loss for the staff IMO.

If we let Battle slip away that will be a really bad loss for the staff IMO.
Rather it's Battle, Davis, Stevenson, Davis, Sanguinetti, Couch, the DT Brown or the OG Lucas. We must get the top players we want from SoFl! There will still be lots of top talent for other P5 teams, but our boys have to understand the impact and benefits of representing your local team and community. The U needs to consult the Russians on how to influence these boys thru social media. In fact the top three P5 instate teams should unite in a campaign to keep kids in state.

He might have been the best dB at st Thomas last year out of blades, Samuels, troutman and Davis which says a lot...

Get him as one of our safeties for sure. Just get me 6 DBs.
Stevenson, Steele, Elam, Richards, Battle, Sanguinetti would be legit.
Jaden Davis if we can get him obviously. Crouch if we miss on any of the dudes listed.
I can go with this although I like Davis, but I'm take Elam because he is bigger and just as good or better.

Advertisement
He is leaning towards OSU! Please Canes staff, pay close attention to players from STA and AH because they want to play with elite teams rather competing against them. Front runners who are afraid to be challenge! Nesta is the exception! How can these kids keep saying they grew up cheering Canes, but choose Bama OSU Clemson and now Georgia. Smh

So many kids this cycle really talking about education. One thing in Miami's favor here in that regard is the business school. I have just been through this process relatively recently with my son -we did the Ohio State business school visit. It's excellent and very impressive but so BIG. Miami has really upgraded it's business education with it's new dean (from Harvard) and the small classes cannot compare. Pretty sure the staff just went through this with Sanguinetti, too. He got a personal meeting with the dean. (my son made the right choice and followed my daughter to UM and is so happy!)

I know we're all ****ed off at missing out on the AH kids and Samuel. But even with those losses, we got 5 super talented kids (and I am all in on Frierson and Hall). So I think we only need to take 4 this year if we consider Richards an athlete who could flip to DB as our 5th.

And while I really want Battle in this class, I don't like the fact he was vocal about wanting an offer, then pushes out his commitment decision until mid-season. That's immature and a red flag. And we have enough other guys on the board that we shouldn't wait for him if we can close on the alternatives being discussed.

Advertisement
I know we're all ****ed off at missing out on the AH kids and Samuel. But even with those losses, we got 5 super talented kids (and I am all in on Frierson and Hall). So I think we only need to take 4 this year if we consider Richards an athlete who could flip to DB as our 5th.

And while I really want Battle in this class, I don't like the fact he was vocal about wanting an offer, then pushes out his commitment decision until mid-season. That's immature and a red flag. And we have enough other guys on the board that we shouldn't wait for him if we can close on the alternatives being discussed.
Very good point

Gilbert had a great day today. Him & dj switched off between 2s & 3s. Mike jack & dean are top 2 as of now but trajan is competing & switching out with dean as of now. Gil had 5 pbu & one pick. Him & dj are gonna be studs. B had a great day too. Dropped one go route he had to stretch out on against romeo. Had about 6 catches otherwise.

Advertisement
Frierson and DJ are the type of talents that make you forget about losing TC and PS2...All I needed to see was that pic of Frierson on Day 1 of Spring Ball to know that guy is putting in major work in the weight room. Has the physique of an upperclassman and hes only been on campus 2-3 months.

Add Al Blades Jr in this mix in the Fall and all of a sudden we are 6 deep in QUALITY depth. (no Larry Hope or Ryan Mayes types hanging around taking up space) And 4 deep going into 2019 off rip.

If they develop like expected we can afford to be picky with the 4 CBs we bring in this class.

Gilbert had a great day today. Him & dj switched off between 2s & 3s. Mike jack & dean are top 2 as of now but trajan is competing & switching out with dean as of now. Gil had 5 pbu & one pick. Him & dj are gonna be studs. B had a great day too. Dropped one go route he had to stretch out on against romeo. Had about 6 catches otherwise.

If we are putting our best football players on the field regardless of position, I don't see how Dean wins a CB1 spot over Bandy. Obviously personnel/package dependant, but Bandy is just a playmaker.

I almost mistakenly typed that this was going to Bandy's 3rd year in the system. That tells me all I need to know about that kid.

If we are putting our best football players on the field regardless of position, I don't see how Dean wins a CB1 spot over Bandy. Obviously personnel/package dependant, but Bandy is just a playmaker.

I almost mistakenly typed that this was going to Bandy's 3rd year in the system. That tells me all I need to know about that kid.

I'm with you. I think the biggest threats to Gil, Ivey and Hall breaking into the starting rotation aren't Dean and Redwine, but Bandy and A Carter. Those two are going to have something to say about who gets the next crack at the bat. The 2019 DB class will be filled with kids who know they're not walking into an open spot and are going to have to battle for playing time, restoring the natural order of things at Miami. All the offense is already there. But the front seven on defense still has gaps, so gotta watch out for prima donas there (e.g., Hunter).

Regarding Battle, just to be clear, given the top 5 he listed, he doesn't seem to be afraid of competition. But WTF game is he playing here? Just commit to the home team if you are high on them? We'll know if he's serious by Paradise or shortly thereafter. I predict most of this class will be filled by then, and it will be time for Battle to **** or get off the pot.

Frierson and DJ are the type of talents that make you forget about losing TC and PS2...All I needed to see was that pic of Frierson on Day 1 of Spring Ball to know that guy is putting in major work in the weight room. Has the physique of an upperclassman and hes only been on campus 2-3 months.

Add Al Blades Jr in this mix in the Fall and all of a sudden we are 6 deep in QUALITY depth. (no Larry Hope or Ryan Mayes types hanging around taking up space) And 4 deep going into 2019 off rip.

If they develop like expected we can afford to be picky with the 4 CBs we bring in this class.
Both of em dogs. Both of em physique is night & day different from where it was in highschool. Same with B & Lo. Dj is gonna shut alot of people up bout ps2 & tc. That last week when we went out ps2 &tc started arguing about who was gonna start here next year between them. Dj told em straight up "i dont care where either of yall go next year. Neither of yall stoppin me from getting my burn..." thats what we been missing & other than the freshman who alot of em have that mindset only trajan thinks like that too. Wait till goldens recruits are gone. Richts gonna change alot of those pastor richt thoughts on him.

Advertisement
Back