2019 3-star LB Darius Williams plans spring visit to UM

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
For a while, 2019 3-star Norland LB Darius Williams was only getting interest from low Power 5 programs, with offers from the likes of Syracuse and Arkansas. Williams kept grinding though, and his hard work finally paid off in the form of his hometown Miami Hurricanes extending him an offer, completely changing his recruitment.

“(The offer came) like 2 or 3 months ago. Well, Manny Diaz was coming around the Dade schools for the early signing day back in December,” Williams said. “We didn’t talk much then, but he came back to the school about a week later. He was telling me about how this year was gonna be a big class for linebackers for them since they have some guys leaving. He shook my hand and stuff and left. After, I walked back into my coach’s office and he told me Miami wanted to offer me.”

As a South Florida kid, Williams grew up watching the Canes and was thrilled to have a scholarship to “The U”.

“I’m really interested in Miami,” Williams said. “Well, actually I’m a Miami kid, I stay right up the street from the stadium, so I’ve been watching the Canes since around when Jacory Harris was there. I grew up around the team and anytime I play “NCAA Football”, I play with the Hurricanes.”

So, while coach Diaz has the closest bond with Williams of anyone on the Miami staff, their relationship is still in the early stages at this point.

“I’d say it’s still building,” Williams says. “We’re not constantly talking, I hear from the coaches at Syracuse more. I hear from Manny like every 2 or 3 weeks. He just lets me know he’s still coming after me.”

In terms of visits, the 6’0”, 227 pounder is excited to visit the UM campus for the first time this spring and is interested to see how the Canes run things out at practice. Williams also plans another trip to check out an ACC foe as well.

“Well, I’m going up for a visit to Syracuse this month,” Williams said. “Also, Manny wants me to come down and visit during spring break and for spring practice so I can see how the team practices and see how everything functions.”

While he only knows coach Diaz for now, Williams is expecting to become more familiar with others who run the Miami program on his upcoming visit, including head coach Mark Richt.

“I’ve never talked to any other Miami coaches, but when I come to visit during spring break, Manny said I’d get to meet the head coach and stuff.”

When asked which other schools he’s been talking to frequently, Williams had three in mind.

“Syracuse, they always be consistent, texting me and stuff. Arkansas was actually the first offer that I had, but coach (Vernon) Hargreaves isn’t there anymore, so I don’t know. He’s at Missouri now and said he’d come see me in the spring, so we’ll see with them too.”

Don’t expect Williams to wait on a decision too long: the Norland linebacker plans on making his college choice soon, towards the end of spring. Whichever school lands Williams, they’ll be getting proven producer at LB with room to grow in his senior season.

“I’m pretty sure I want to lock something in after this spring,” Williams said. “I’m looking for loyalty. I’m looking to be part of a program that wants me and we can go to work.”

A true leader in the middle of the field for his Norland defense, Williams helped guide his troops back to the playoffs in 2017 after a five year drought for the program. Williams will look to build on that success and strives to reach even greater heights in his senior season.

“I felt like I did good, but I feel there was room for improvement always,” Williams said. “We actually hadn’t made the playoffs in five years, so this was our first year back. We lost to Mainland, but we didn’t really lose, it was crazy. There was a lot of flags, but we did make some key mistakes though.”

Advertisement
For a while, 2019 3-star Norland LB Darius Williams was only getting interest from low Power 5 programs, with offers from the likes of Syracuse and Arkansas. Williams kept grinding though, and his hard work finally paid off in the form of his hometown Miami Hurricanes extending him an offer, completely changing his recruitment.

“(The offer came) like 2 or 3 months ago. Well, Manny Diaz was coming around the Dade schools for the early signing day back in December,” Williams said. “We didn’t talk much then, but he came back to the school about a week later. He was telling me about how this year was gonna be a big class for linebackers for them since they have some guys leaving. He shook my hand and stuff and left. After, I walked back into my coach’s office and he told me Miami wanted to offer me.”

As a South Florida kid, Williams grew up watching the Canes and was thrilled to have a scholarship to “The U”.

“I’m really interested in Miami,” Williams said. “Well, actually I’m a Miami kid, I stay right up the street from the stadium, so I’ve been watching the Canes since around when Jacory Harris was there. I grew up around the team and anytime I play “NCAA Football”, I play with the Hurricanes.”

So, while coach Diaz has the closest bond with Williams of anyone on the Miami staff, their relationship is still in the early stages at this point.

“I’d say it’s still building,” Williams says. “We’re not constantly talking, I hear from the coaches at Syracuse more. I hear from Manny like every 2 or 3 weeks. He just lets me know he’s still coming after me.”

In terms of visits, the 6’0”, 227 pounder is excited to visit the UM campus for the first time this spring and is interested to see how the Canes run things out at practice. Williams also plans another trip to check out an ACC foe as well.

“Well, I’m going up for a visit to Syracuse this month,” Williams said. “Also, Manny wants me to come down and visit during spring break and for spring practice so I can see how the team practices and see how everything functions.”

While he only knows coach Diaz for now, Williams is expecting to become more familiar with others who run the Miami program on his upcoming visit, including head coach Mark Richt.

“I’ve never talked to any other Miami coaches, but when I come to visit during spring break, Manny said I’d get to meet the head coach and stuff.”

When asked which other schools he’s been talking to frequently, Williams had three in mind.

“Syracuse, they always be consistent, texting me and stuff. Arkansas was actually the first offer that I had, but coach (Vernon) Hargreaves isn’t there anymore, so I don’t know. He’s at Missouri now and said he’d come see me in the spring, so we’ll see with them too.”

Don’t expect Williams to wait on a decision too long: the Norland linebacker plans on making his college choice soon, towards the end of spring. Whichever school lands Williams, they’ll be getting proven producer at LB with room to grow in his senior season.

“I’m pretty sure I want to lock something in after this spring,” Williams said. “I’m looking for loyalty. I’m looking to be part of a program that wants me and we can go to work.”

A true leader in the middle of the field for his Norland defense, Williams helped guide his troops back to the playoffs in 2017 after a five year drought for the program. Williams will look to build on that success and strives to reach even greater heights in his senior season.

“I felt like I did good, but I feel there was room for improvement always,” Williams said. “We actually hadn’t made the playoffs in five years, so this was our first year back. We lost to Mainland, but we didn’t really lose, it was crazy. There was a lot of flags, but we did make some key mistakes though.”

How does he rank/compare to the other Lb's being recruited?

Yeah sounds like this kid is a plan b for now. Has anyone seen him play live or know anything about his game?

Well, Manny Diaz was coming around the Dade schools for the early signing day back in December,” Williams said. He was telling me about how this year was gonna be a big class for linebackers for them since they have some guys leaving.
I may be misinterpreting what Manny is saying, but similar to Norton and McIntosh, it sounds like they are expecting early departures from Pickney and Shaq, unless Manny is referring to Smith and Perry.

Advertisement
More like plan c, this LB class is as deep those previous DB classes

I don't think Manny is talking about shaq and pinkney. lets see how their jr goes. we are losing smith and Perry and are taking several lbs this class to fill either the losses of 2-4 or for the 2019 season.

We need 4 LBs no matter what, so it really doesn't matter if any declare early.

Williams isn't one of the top group. He's in that Tier 2 category along with like Diamante Howard.

The main guys are Sam Brooks, Jesiah Pierre, Avery Huff, Ge'mon Eaford, and Anthony Soloman. ...We want 4 of these guys. Brooks and Pierre are already committed. So those 3 are competing for 2 spots imo.

Tier 2 are Jahmar Brown, Darius Williams, and Diamante Howard.

**** I hate when we slow play kids like this bruh these are the kids that'll put on for the city.

I'd offer 1 or 2 of these every year because they'll stay around no matter what never transfer out and it gives us special teams warriors so our starting Rb isn't running down trying to tackle someone.

Plus this kid has talent.

Advertisement
**** I hate when we slow play kids like this bruh these are the kids that'll put on for the city.

I'd offer 1 or 2 of these every year because they'll stay around no matter what never transfer out and it gives us special teams warriors so our starting Rb isn't running down trying to tackle someone.

Plus this kid has talent.

I agree you always want to take a local flyer or two. But they also need to have that swag to be ready to go up against anyone anywhere. At least wait to see how they stack out at Paradise, make the offer committable if they show out.

I like that he said he's looking for a program that is loyal and said we can go to work. He will be good wherever he lands.

The kid is big and moves well...Can't always tell on highlights, but I actually think he's cerebral and diagnoses well if I had to call it...The one thing that's missing is that thump? Not the be all/end all but I'd like to see a 225-230 lb. kid bring that hat a little more. Norland's been good to UM though, and with as light as he is on his feet on that size I can see why he's in the Mike convo...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back