2018 Summer Ball

Also, you can't look at the summer rosters at this time. Some of those kids from smaller schools are likely on temp contracts (2 weeks). 64 teams are still playing as of this weekend, look at the rosters in 2 weeks.

Advertisement
No they don't get paid but it's an agreement between the player and the club. Most agreements are for the whole summer, but they do offer temporary contracts for the beginning of the summer as a lot of division 1 teams are still in the postseason. If the player on the temporary contract performs well, sometimes they can earn a full contract and get to stay.

Most summer leagues are free of charge (obviously cannot pay them)

He's now resorted to whining about the method in which we "discovered" a guy who hit .340 for us and was on a CWS team.

Not whining, just being honest. If we truly didn't know about him until summer ball, that is an indictment on the staff.

Advertisement
181 guys in the 2017 MLB Draft and 176 guys in the 2016 MLB draft played in the Northwoods League. Not bad for a second tier operation for small Midwest schools.

After 4 games, Toral is batting .375 (6 for 16) with 4K/1BB. He hasn’t rediscovered his power yet and is still searching for his first extra base hit.

Quinones isn’t off to as strong a start, batting .214 (3 for 14) with 3K/0BB. As with Toral, all his hits are singles.

In the Valley League, Connor Allen is batting .250 (2 for 8) in two games with 2K/2BB. One of his two hits was a double.

We don't know if they knew about him or not.

I was merely relaying the story of how his name "popped" that summer.

You specifically wrote that he was "discovered" that summer. That's the entire point I was arguing against. If you didn't mean that, I accept your apology.

Advertisement
I would think regardless of the league, its important for Toral to see some success. Hitting is as much about confidence as anything

You specifically wrote that he was "discovered" that summer. That's the entire point I was arguing against. If you didn't mean that, I accept your apology.

Again, I was relaying the story that was told publicly during his time at Miami.

Nobody can say with certainty when Miami "found out" about him. They may have known who we was in JUCO but only offered him after the Summer.

Your point was your usual position of desperately looking for something to complain about.

Advertisement
So was he discovered in summer ball, or can no one say for sure when Miami found out about him? Please pick one.

I never said "found out about" at any point. That was you trying to, as you claimed, pick a bar fight.

The story I told was accurate. You then erected a strawman, which you do a lot, so you could whine about something.

I never said "found out about" at any point. That was you trying to, as you claimed, pick a bar fight.

The story I told was accurate. You then erected a strawman, which you do a lot, so you could whine about something.

If the story you told was accurate, then it is an indictment on our recruiting. So we’re back to square one.

Advertisement
Back to this decade.... Cecconi is on the roster for the Seminole County Scorpions of the Florida Collegiate Summer League. I thought it might be tempting fate to add it before the draft.

Back to this decade.... Cecconi is on the roster for the Seminole County Scorpions of the Florida Collegiate Summer League. I thought it might be tempting fate to add it before the draft.

Thats a pretty good league for an incoming Freshman to be playing in. Better he faces college hitters than some 18u perfect game teams.

Your silly logic is certainly back to square one.

The story is that we "discovered" him in summer ball in Minnesota. One would logically conclude that the D1 programs in Florida could "discover" a JUCO All-American within the state before he heads off to Minnesota. Doesn't seem like a stretch.

Advertisement
Back