2018 DT Michael Thompson

This is the kind of **** we should be used to.

Half *** interior DL recruiting by not doing our homework extremely early in the cycle...slow play or not recruit more then qualified locals for "reasons"...narrow the focus to a few recruits that by November start to show their cards, and we arent in the picture for all but 1...maybe 2 of them. By December, start scrambling for uncommitted players, JUCO kids, and "late blooming" *** kids. A bunch of free trips are had by non serious recruits.

End up with nothing or some low end *** consulation prize.
A top 100 player is some low end consultation prize? I hope you call for an Uber if you’re not home...

Advertisement
Ok, he has a good feeling of where he wants to go. You've never heard of a teenage kid changing his mind? If he said he was 100% or already committed somewhere, I could see what you're saying. But until further notice, Miami has just as much of a chance as any of the other schools in his top 5.

They're slow to recruit DTs, you're mad. They finally get on defensive tackles, you still find something to complain about. Let the staff work and if they whiff, then feel free to criticize.

“I have a good feeling of where I want to go,” Thompson said. “I am going to take a couple visits, though, to make sure that I am set and that I’ll be good wherever I choose to go.”

If he thinks he knows already, but wants a couple visits, you can infer he is not leaning towards a school he has not yet visited.

That’s impossible...that throws the reason behind the Tyson Campbell fiasco out the window.
hqdefault.jpg

Ok, he has a good feeling of where he wants to go. You've never heard of a teenage kid changing his mind? If he said he was 100% or already committed somewhere, I could see what you're saying. But until further notice, Miami has just as much of a chance as any of the other schools in his top 5.

They're slow to recruit DTs, you're mad. They finally get on defensive tackles, you still find something to complain about. Let the staff work and if they whiff, then feel free to criticize.

1. No one said he cannot change his mind. You’re flailing at strawmen.

2. You are free to save your posts for after NSD if you want but I don’t see why you expect others to refrain from commentary until then.

Half *** interior DL recruiting by not doing our homework extremely early in the cycle...slow play or not recruit more then qualified locals for "reasons"...narrow the focus to a few recruits that by November start to show their cards, and we arent in the picture for all but 1...maybe 2 of them. By December, start scrambling for uncommitted players, JUCO kids, and "late blooming" *** kids. A bunch of free trips are had by non serious recruits.

A top 100 player is some low end consultation prize? I hope you call for an Uber if you’re not home...

What Top 100 player are we getting here?

This "late surge" for interior prospects has yielded players like Darius Smith, Michael Wyche, Calvin Heurtelou, Joe Brown, Jacoby Briscoe, Dequan Ivery, Corey King, Junior Alexis, Delmar Taylor, Jeff Brown...

Jesus, this list is worse then I thought, but you get the point. The defense rests.

Advertisement
“I have a good feeling of where I want to go,” Thompson said. “I am going to take a couple visits, though, to make sure that I am set and that I’ll be good wherever I choose to go.”

If he thinks he knows already, but wants a couple visits, you can infer he is not leaning towards a school he has not yet visited.

That’s impossible...that throws the reason behind the Tyson Campbell fiasco out the window.
hqdefault.jpg

Sarcasm [MENTION=75]Ethnicsands[/MENTION]

Last edited:

This "late surge" for interior prospects has yielded players like Darius Smith, Michael Wyche, Calvin Heurtelou, Joe Brown, Jacoby Briscoe, Dequan Ivery, Corey King, Junior Alexis, Delmar Taylor, Jeff Brown...

Jesus, this list is worse then I thought, but you get the point. The defense rests.

A whole bunch of players not recruited by this staff. Real argument booster buddy.

Advertisement

A whole bunch of players not recruited by this staff. Real argument booster buddy.

Second verse, same as the first.

This staff has legitimately signed THREE defensive tackles in three signing periods (2016 - Bethel and Martin, 2017 - Ford, 2018 Early - no one)...and currently has ONE committed for 2018 (Feb. - Nesta)...FOUR defensive tackles in THREE full cycles is unacceptable and laughably bad. Its the same **** Golden was doing, he was just dumb enough to offer scholarships to FCS talents and dollar store JUCOs as he shopped the dented cans last minute. But its not like he didn't send out offers, try and revisit spring/summer offers, and aim for 5* and 4* players before he dabbled with whats left at the bottom of the crate.

After signing two 4* and two 3* in three classes (again, unacceptable quality and number)...just watch...Richt's going to start shopping the dented cans and clearance items, too.

Last edited:

This staff has legitimately signed THREE defensive tackles in three signing periods (2016 - Bethel and Martin, 2017 - Ford, 2018 Early - no one)...and currently has ONE committed for 2018 (Feb. - Nesta)...FOUR defensive tackles in THREE full cycles is unacceptable and laughably bad. Its the same **** Golden was doing, he was just dumb enough to offer scholarships to FCS talents and dollar store JUCOs as he shopped the dented cans last minute. But its not like he didn't send out offers, try and revisit spring/summer offers, and aim for 5* and 4* players before he dabbled with whats left at the bottom of the crate.

After signing two 4* and two 3* in three classes (again, unacceptable quality and number)...just watch...Richt's going to start shopping the dented cans and clearance items, too.
Golden left a line that included McIntosh, Norton, Willis, C. Thomas, T. Harris, D. Jackson, Moten....

Golden left a line that included McIntosh, Norton, Willis, C. Thomas, T. Harris, D. Jackson, Moten....

We are talking about DT, so not sure why you'd mention Chad Thomas, Harris, Jackson. McIntosh, Norton, and Moten - that is what was left after four years of recruiting, and reading the board, they are all late or undrafted players, so, not sure if you are using that as a good thing or a bad thing. The attrition was horrible under Golden at the position.

Not directed at you, but we can't have it both ways on the board. Can't be saying Norton isn't an NFL player but then holding him up as an example of something positive from Golden. Golden left us some players, sure. Didn't leave us with depth. Which is ultimately Miami's issue. We can get some good players, but we lack depth of talent and it seems to be continuing under Richt at defensive tackle. He's got Pat Bethel and Nesta Silvera...cool. But we all know defensive line, especially the interior, is about quality of depth and this discussion is about recruiting quality depth, especially at DT, and we haven't through three cycles. Its concerning, just like it was under previous regimes.

Advertisement

We are talking about DT, so not sure why you'd mention Chad Thomas, Harris, Jackson. McIntosh, Norton, and Moten - that is what was left after four years of recruiting, and reading the board, they are all late or undrafted players, so, not sure if you are using that as a good thing or a bad thing. The attrition was horrible under Golden at the position.

Not directed at you, but we can't have it both ways on the board. Can't be saying Norton isn't an NFL player but then holding him up as an example of something positive from Golden. Golden left us some players, sure. Didn't leave us with depth. Which is ultimately Miami's issue. We can get some good players, but we lack depth of talent and it seems to be continuing under Richt at defensive tackle. He's got Pat Bethel and Nesta Silvera...cool. But we all know defensive line, especially the interior, is about quality of depth and this discussion is about recruiting quality depth, especially at DT, and we haven't through three cycles. Its concerning, just like it was under previous regimes.

Just a wild guess, but I think Richt must have learned how to recruit okay. My wild guess is built on the fact that the team he previously recruited for is playing in the National Championship game with probably a whole bunch of his recruits playing significant roles. If my theory is right, I will keep relatively relaxed through signing day and beyond. GO CANES!!

That's right, we can't have it both ways. The 2016 class was basically done. Richt comes in December(2015) and has to put together a staff during a time when most kids already have their minds made up(hence speed ahead to the new rules, signing in Dec). And this on the heels of a miserable season led by Alfred Golden. We were fortunate to land the players that we did. The 2017 DT class should've been more than Ford. The only logical thought is the Johnson kid who bailed would've moved inside. The 2018 cycle is not complete. Nesta is in the fold and I expect Richt and Co to sign two more if in fact Mc and Nort take off for the NFL...

Let it play out.

Last edited:
Advertisement

First of all, my point was that Golden in fact left a deep DL. And some of our Ends have lined up inside on passing downs. But if we focus solely on interior guys, then Golden left McIntosh, Norton, Willis, Moten, Courtel Jenkins and Fines. That ain’t bad at all. It’s better than Richt would be leaving now if he skipped town. To complete the earlier point, Golden also left AQM, Patchan and Joe Jackson as a commitment at End (not mentioned above).

Can't be saying Norton isn't an NFL player but then holding him up as an example of something positive from Golden.
This is clearly false. The idea that NFL potential is what we are supposed to be generating is part of what has so tanked this program. Guys can be very good college players but not first round nfl prospects. Heisman wnner Gino Toretta was that. Ken Dorsey was. Using the nfl draft to validate whether a kid was a good recruit or not misses the point of college football, which is to win the games, not generate pros.

Norton is absolutely an example of something positive from Golden. That is indisputable by anyone. And I write this as a person who couldn’t stand Golden. But Norton has played since his true frosh year, and been an important part of a D that has helped us progress as a team the past two years. He may not be as good as his accolytes hope, but that doesn’t define him. He was not a top ranked kid. Golden recruited and signed him. Those are facts.

You make a similar comment in the first quote I posted also, just broader than Norton. Sorry, but IMO you’re just way off in your view of these guys as it relates to the NFL. McIntosh, Norton, Thomas, Harris, D. Jax, etc. ... that is a very good college line. If your standard for recruiting is all high NFL draft picks, you’re going to be disappointed and despite that, we could do fine while you’re disappointed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back