2018 Class

[]_[] swag

Sophomore
Is it just me or is this class shaping up to be better than advertised? It seems like every player we have going into their sophomore season is surrounded by hype and the miss rate in the class might be 0.

Nesta
Blades
Frierson
Ivey
Rousseau
Joyner
Hall
Brevin
Mallory
Jarren W
Lingard
Camron harris
Pope
Hightower
Wiggins
Scaife
Reed
Campbell
Baxa
Realus

The difference between the 2018 class and Golden’s borderline top 10 recruiting classes or the gators 2019 top 10 class is stark. We’ve had almost no attrition and no real issues or flat misses like we have in the past.

Do the top $ programs actually put together classes like this consistently or is this special?

Biggest reason I’m buying the hype for next season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
A lot of those guys havent even played and you're saying the miss rate might be 0??

We've heard good things about every one of those guys at one time or another. Yeah, it's too soon to think they'll all pan out, but OP is right that it's looking good right now. Of course people will be trashing any of those guys who don't become starters this year as JAGS, but that's par for the course. If we can get some production out of all of them, 25% or more end up starters, and there are 2 stars there...well that will be a **** of a class. The early returns say that's not too much to ask.

That seems a bit off-base on the offensive side, but about right defensively.

We're already down 1 4-star WR, and the other WRs have been disappointing thus far. No clue what to make of the OL recruits at this point either. And of course, who knows what will happen with Jarren Williams. He can win the job in August and be a star here, or never get another snap. Lingard is still a big question mark, though if he stays healthy he seems to be on track for a good career, as does Harris. The TEs are poised to be stars. Overall seems like a mixed bag here, but the potential is still high, and there are already enough hits (Jordan, Mallory, Scaife, Harris) that this class likely won't be a bust.

Defensively, everyone looks to be exactly where they should be, which is why I roll my eyes when our fans complain about our defensive recruiting. We've recruited pretty well defensively, with high 3/low 4 star guys basically at every position (yes, even LB/striker), and we develop them year-after-year. That's a recipe for sustained success, as evidenced by 3 straight top 10-15 defenses. It's not Clemson/Bama level, but that's just not realistic. If our offense catches up to our defense, we'll have a shot to make that jump one day, but with 1 Coastal title in ~15 years, we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

The inexperienced players are always the most hyped cause people always seem to assume the unknown is better than what we already have and know. I bet there will be a ton of hype surrounding everyone in the 19 class too because it's just hope off potential and the unknown

Advertisement
Certainly has the potential to be a special class and I get your point but I can't come up with more than 5 names on that list that have made any significant impact in games. Not uncommon for true freshman, but still early to say home run class.

17 and 18 classes were both very good.

Too bad about the 16 and 19 classes but the transfer portal has helped to alleviate that.

2017 has some top end talent, but the differences in the middle of the classes is huge even compared to where 17 was last year.

17 was similarly ranked 12 vs 8, but the players you looked at last yr as contributors was far less. All the guys in my op will play this year.

17 as sophomores had
Herbert
Gaynor
Hillary
Dykstra
Steed
Wilder
Burns
E Njoku
Cade Weldon
9/24 guys that didn’t really contribute

3 more in Derrick smith, polendey, and feagles who looked like jags.
And dj Johnson as one of the top recruits never made it here.

And this was the same going into last season, not just a retrospective look. More than half the class wasn’t going to be a factor as sophomores.

Look at 18 and that’s far from the case. Maybe miller and bethel don’t see playing time

I think the OP was trying to say based off hype and potential there could be no busts. That said, no coincidence that this was a top 10 class across the board and more then half will pan out or could become stars. Kind of lends some credence to the "star *****" posters on here.

Advertisement
Because of the star ranking.

Can you say anything negative or positive about Bama's 19 class?

Lol no. Half of em aren’t even on campus yet. And I’m the biggest star ***** on the planet. But you gotta let the kids at least land in dade county before you talk about what a shame the class is.

Were you cursing a kicking your dog when looking at David Njoku’s class in May after he signed and before he even got on campus? Give me a break

Advertisement
How can you say anything negatively or positively about the 19 class?

It's not so much about the quality of who signed, it's that only 16 high schoolers came here when there was room for many more. Including the transfers it's actually a very nice haul for a transition class.

Matocha
Martell 4*
Martin 4*
Osborn
Payton 4*
Hodges
Kennedy
Nelson
Clark
Elgammal
Hill
Phillips 5*
Nnoruka
Harvey 4*
Blissett 4*
Hunte
Holley
Ca. Williams
Brooks
Huff 4*
Bolden 4*
Ch. Williams 4*
Smith 4*
Couch 4*
Hedley

Advertisement
Lol no. Half of em aren’t even on campus yet. And I’m the biggest star ***** on the planet. But you gotta let the kids at least land in dade county before you talk about what a shame the class is.

Were you cursing a kicking your dog when looking at David Njoku’s class in May after he signed and before he even got on campus? Give me a break

The expectations for their collective careers should be lower than for a highly ranked class.

Why would he? That was the 12th overall class and had a 5 star in it.

Advertisement
Back