2018 Basketball Media Day with Coach L

Da_Lucky_One

All ACC

Please listen but here are some interesting notes I heard.

1. DJ Vasiljevic lost 20 lbs and Deng Gak needs to gain 30 lbs to his 6'11 frame but he is very athletic with a jumpshot.
2. Zach Johnson is a combo guard who is very good defensively. Zach will be a "major" contributor. Currently 6th man.
3. Miller was 3rd string center behind Hernandez and Izundu so he decided to redshirt for more playing time in the future.
4. Coach L states they have 7 starters (upperclassmen) with Mack and Gak trying to find a spot in the rotation.
5. Dewan pushed the staff to sign Zach Johnson. Johnson became a major need after Walker and Brown turned pro.
6. Skillset now matches Dewan's athleticism. Dewan can now post, drive and make shots on the perimeter including 3's.
7. They would like to take 25 threes a game in 2018. Previous goal was 8 made out of 18 attempts last season.
8. The team goal is to share the ball and have more than 16 assist a game with less than 12 turnovers.
9. Coach L would like a culture change as he is not a fan of the 6th, 7th and 8th grade rankings. He doubts it happens.
10. Freshman behind Davon Reed and Sheldon Mac wanted more playing time and transferred. Sounds like James Palmer.

Bonus: Coach admits he has 13 scholarships but guys 10 and below tend to transfers seeking playing time elsewhere.

Advertisement
6. Skillset now matches Dewan's athleticism. Dewan can now post, drive and make shots on the perimeter including 3's.

Color me skeptical that Huell changed his name and turned into Steph Curry.

Color me skeptical that Huell changed his name and turned into Steph Curry.

Very skeptical. That was not the direction that comment was intended to take anyone. LOL.

His comment about the transfers definitely sheds light on his not using all the scholarships.

Sorry to impose my dumbness, but a question: If one of our centers gets hurt, can we un-redshirt Miller immediately if that was desirable?

Advertisement
- 20-25 3PTs/per game
- Coach's demeanor looks much more relaxed (maybe because the DOJ stuff is over and bullchit)
- 7 men are essentially going to split ~90-95% of the PT (not saying this hasn't happened before here), just going to be a lot of running.

Why do i think coach L taylors his team’s game to his personnel. Unlike someone I know.

- 20-25 3PTs/per game
- Coach's demeanor looks much more relaxed (maybe because the DOJ stuff is over and bullchit)
- 7 men are essentially going to split ~90-95% of the PT (not saying this hasn't happened before here), just going to be a lot of running.
We've never been an uptempo, baseline to baseline team. So ... there's that, in terms of not wearing our seven guys out.

Advertisement
We've never been an uptempo, baseline to baseline team. So ... there's that, in terms of not wearing our seven guys out.

Good point. You can push the tempo in spurts. If Gak and Mack can crack the rotation then Coach L will have more options. I think there will be 10 minutes a game for both in the non-conference schedule. If Gak and Mack cannot get on the floor against this year's non-conference schedule then it could be a problem. The non-conference schedule gives them plenty of opportunity for playing time, in my opinion.

Since 1985, I've been waiting for UM to run. That was our stock in trade in the 1960s when topping 100 points a game was routine. It's why Rick Barry averaged 37 ppg one year (without any 3 point shot rule; woulda averaged 45 ppg with that).

Except for the Larkin/Kadji squad, it just has not happened. Every year, my first question is "Is this gonna be a year we can fast break and press? Except for that anomaly team, answer is always "No." Regardless of who the HC is.

Since 1985, I've been waiting for UM to run. That was our stock in trade in the 1960s when topping 100 points a game was routine. It's why Rick Barry averaged 37 ppg one year (without any 3 point shot rule; woulda averaged 45 ppg with that).

Except for the Larkin/Kadji squad, it just has not happened. Every year, my first question is "Is this gonna be a year we can fast break and press? Except for that anomaly team, answer is always "No." Regardless of who the HC is.

I agree as I think is can be done in spurts with this group if the coaches are willing to try.

To run, you need one or more bigs to sweep the defensive glass/outlet the ball quickly, a heady PG who won't have many TOs, and depth. This year, I guess I'm happy to play half court as I don't really think we have any of the three "musts" that I Iisted.

Advertisement
Crucial that DJ lost that weight - we will be seeing a lot of pressure this year

Advertisement
Back