2017 Strength of Record

Canesfan101

Redshirt Freshman
As far as I understand, Strength of Record (SOR) is the analytical tool used to rank how hard your schedule has been to have your record, in our case a 7-0 record.

I know, I know, the eyeball test, but people make it sound like we have played a bunch of cupcake teams so far this year. ESPN's new fancy analytics shows that we are ranked second, 2, #2 , NUMBER 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in SOR.

I dont know why, but espn gets all excited about these new tools they have but when they see Miami sitting at #2 in SOR and they just seem to ignore that fact and continue to act like we havent played a hard schedule to this point. They praise UGA for being #1 in SOR and all the other teams in the top 5, but choose to ignore that we are #2 because we havent won with enough "style." It just seem a little funny to me when I see us have 4 one loss teams ahead of us and every single one of them have a worse SOR than us to this point(according to espn).

Please let me know if I am just way out in left field with this, but I for one have full confidence in this team that we can hang with just about anyone, especially those left on our regular season schedule.

GO CANES!

Advertisement
Someone have the image of this again? Also where is the link to get it.

Cheeseburger, Lineage 14.1

Impossible. According to half of this board, the entire WEZ, and the national media, we're the worst team in the history of college football. I've been told our QB is terrible, we need to fire our OL coach, hire an OC, and our linebackers can't play.

...........I agree with you OP. We can beat pretty much anybody outside of Bama. ND and potentially Clemson will be incredibly tough, but those are 2 of the best 4 teams and we still can play with them.

Just comes down to how well we play.

I dont have a picture of it but when I watched the CFB Top 25 Countdown show, in the 15 seconds they gave us on the show they snuck that stat in there in the bottom left corner, quickly took it down, and talked about how we havent played anyone and that we are going to lose this week.

I dont have a picture of it but when I watched the CFB Top 25 Countdown show, in the 15 seconds they gave us on the show they snuck that stat in there in the bottom left corner, quickly took it down, and talked about how we havent played anyone and that we are going to lose this week.

Advertisement

yeah heather dinich is all over twitter right now

pointing out that our ACC opponents record that we have beaten so far is 15-25

SOR is just one factor of many they use to create their FPI ranking. FPI has us ranked way behind the other polls despite being 2 in SOR.

Considering we haven't beat anyone of note or even solid, I would safely say you can toss these rankings out the window.

Advertisement
468E85CC-59C0-440D-A791-8279161A063C.jpg
3EF52089-2B88-4616-832E-33F1C838A387.jpg

They can’t make up their minds

Advertisement
SOR can be very deceiving. If team A played 2 sun belt team and mvc team ooc and those 3 teams went on to be good at their level. SOR would be inflated because of who they played. Team B played 3 power 5 teams ooc who finish in the middle of their conference who actually played the tougher schedule.

Advertisement
SOR can be very deceiving. If team A played 2 sun belt team and mvc team ooc and those 3 teams went on to be good at their level. SOR would be inflated because of who they played. Team B played 3 power 5 teams ooc who finish in the middle of their conference who actually played the tougher schedule.

So you think toledo is inflating the SOR?

So you think toledo is inflating the SOR?

Toledo would be no threat to win any power 5 conference

I’ve nicknamed heather “tuna” she is a great example of why people aren’t watching espn. Can’t stand listening to her and you can just see some of the guys bit8ng their tongues when she speaks. She’s sooo high on UGA but if you take all the teams UGA has played, the total records are just a little over 500. And once we play vet and nd, our schedule will be comparable with UGA and Bama

I’ve nicknamed heather “tuna” she is a great example of why people aren’t watching espn. Can’t stand listening to her and you can just see some of the guys bit8ng their tongues when she speaks. She’s sooo high on UGA but if you take all the teams UGA has played, the total records are just a little over 500. And once we play vet and nd, our schedule will be comparable with UGA and Bama

My argument is that our schedule already is as good as those teams, though UGA slightly ahead of ours, and that we have not had a cupcake schedule up to this point comparative to other teams that people make it out to seem we have. Are we as good as Bama right now, no, but we are dang sure heading in that direction in a couple years.

Advertisement
Back