2017 Notre dame Vs 2021 Alabama

StevoBevo

Freshman
Iv been thinking about this for a while to see if there’s any real similarities.

ND - strong power running team with mobile QB + an elite RB, strong recovering core & Elite offensive line with a good/very good defense (somewhere in between)

Bama - Power running team with a mobile QB, good/very good running back, strong receiving core and Elite offensive line + Elite defense.

Personally I believe Young will be better than the ND QB (name slips my mind), WR cores are about equal, RB I would’ve given the edge to ND because Adams was in heisman talks near that part of the season (week 9), Offensive line I give the edge to ND because they had a strong, experienced line with multiple draft picks, Defense I give the edge to Bama except the secondary is a lot closer than the front 7.
why does this comparison matter ? Because we beat what was the 3# team in the country 41-8 and the similarities should give us hope.
In my opinion the defenses/execution is what I expect to be different from notre Dame. I expect Bama to have an ELITE defense this upcoming season but I expect their offense to be stoppable.
Now how does this hurricanes team compare to 2017? Let’s see
QB - D King VS M rosier….okay moving on
RB - C Harris, D Chaney, J knighton VS T Homer, DJ Dallas, M Walton I would give this group a draw with the current team having a higher ceiling.
WR - M Harley, C Rambo, K smith, X restrepo, M Pope, D Wiggins Vs J Thomas, A Richards, D langham, B berrios, L Cager
I would give the 2017 receiving core the edge over the current one but I agsin feel that the current group has a higher ceiling
TE - Mallory VS Herndon Give me Mallory for receiving/big play and Herndon for Blocking/short yardage
OL - as of now I’d give a draw with this current group a chance to have a higher ceiling
DL - 2017 Team wins
LBs - ….2017 team wins
DBs - I’d have to give the 2021 group the nod for this one but it’s close.
CBs Stevenson/Ivey/Blades/Couch Vs Young, Jackson, Delaney, T Bandy
Safeties - B bolden, G hall, A Carter, B balom, J Williams Vs J Johnson, Redwine, A Carter, R knowles
Special teams goes to 2021 as well.
Overall it seems on paper that the 2021 offense has more potential than 2017 (as well as the better QB by far) the DEs/ILB is the biggest difference as to why the 2017 defense may have a slight edge. 2017 = better run defense 2021 = better pass defense.
Now I know Alabama is another monster than ND but it’s still comparing two elite teams to eachother and we BEAT one of them 41-8 so it begs the question…if we can beat the #3 team in the country 41-8 then why can’t we hang with the 1# team given the similarities ?

Advertisement
Not even close. That Irish team was a fraud. With a garbage quarterback and offensive system.
Outside of UGA they were unstoppable on offense till they played us. They crumbled after they played us because their season went down the drain. But they did what Saban loves to do which is power run football with some RPO mixed in. I expect the Bama offense to be more talented overall but I expect all of their departures, O brien being the OC (known for being slow tempo, Overcomplicating Playbook and complex plays) with a freshman QB, 3 New O-Lineman, New TE, 2 New WRs and a new starting RB I think game one they will have more kinks than their use to. Especially against a defense know to create chaos (this is back to Diaz’s defense who was top 20 in 2017 and 1# in 2018)

The fact that this years Bama team has a much better defense (on paper at least) than that Notre Dame team makes Bama at least a moderately tougher test. We can still win, though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Bama being a better ran team with elite coaching is the difference. I implore anyone to look at their highlights from last year and you'll see why they're an 18 point favorite even after losing so much talent. Everything would have to go right in order for us to win and I don't think Manny has this squad disciplined enough to win this game

Our front seven in '17 was also far superior than what we'll be touting out this year-- Chad, Trent, Joe, Demetrius, Norton, Courtel, Shaq, and Pinck. Imagine this year's secondary paired with that front:sanford2:

Iv been thinking about this for a while to see if there’s any real similarities.

ND - strong power running team with mobile QB + an elite RB, strong recovering core & Elite offensive line with a good/very good defense (somewhere in between)

Bama - Power running team with a mobile QB, good/very good running back, strong receiving core and Elite offensive line + Elite defense.

Personally I believe Young will be better than the ND QB (name slips my mind), WR cores are about equal, RB I would’ve given the edge to ND because Adams was in heisman talks near that part of the season (week 9), Offensive line I give the edge to ND because they had a strong, experienced line with multiple draft picks, Defense I give the edge to Bama except the secondary is a lot closer than the front 7.
why does this comparison matter ? Because we beat what was the 3# team in the country 41-8 and the similarities should give us hope.
In my opinion the defenses/execution is what I expect to be different from notre Dame. I expect Bama to have an ELITE defense this upcoming season but I expect their offense to be stoppable.
RB - C Harris, D Chaney, J knighton VS T Homer, DJ Dallas, M Walton I would give this group a draw with the current team having a higher ceiling.
WR - M Harley, C Rambo, K smith, X restrepo, M Pope, D Wiggins Vs J Thomas, A Richards, D langham, B berrios, L Cager
I would give the 2017 receiving core the edge over the current one but I agsin feel that the current group has a higher ceiling
TE - Mallory VS Herndon Give me Mallory for receiving/big play and Herndon for Blocking/short yardage
OL - as of now I’d give a draw with this current group a chance to have a higher ceiling
DL - 2017 Team wins
LBs - ….2017 team wins
Safeties - B bolden, G hall, A Carter, B balom, J Williams Vs J Johnson, Redwine, A Carter, R knowles
Overall it seems on paper that the 2021 offense has more potential than 2017 (as well as the better QB by far) the DEs/ILB is the biggest difference as to why the 2017 defense may have a slight edge. 2017 = better run defense 2021 = better pass defense.
Now I know Alabama is another monster than ND but it’s still comparing two elite teams to eachother and we BEAT one of them 41-8 so it begs the question…if we can beat the #3 team in the country 41-8 then why can’t we hang with the 1# team given the similarities ?

you ok?

Advertisement

DL - 2017 Team wins
LBs - ….2017 team wins
Seriously man, just stop, just stop it! Smh because deep down aside from this fantasy land puff piece you just wrote, you and everyone with half a brain knows there is no comparison with those teams and those programs. Bama beats that same ND team by 50 plus easy with there back ups in by the 4th quarter.

Seriously man, just stop, just stop it! Smh because deep down aside from this fantasy land puff piece you just wrote, you and everyone with half a brain knows there is no comparison with those teams and those programs. Bama beats that same ND team by 50 plus easy with there back ups in by the 4th quarter.
Back ups in by the 4th?!?! I was thinking from halftime on, but outside of that, I agree.

F**k Bama... I just want to spank FSU again this year... Hopefully we get the 6-6 Gators in a bowl game..

Advertisement
People who think we keep it within 40 in this thread right now like:

1628092437092.gif

DL - 2017 Team wins
LBs - ….2017 team wins

I’m not in total disagreement on your breakdown Stevo, but we casually tend to gloss over one of if not the key to College Ball, Coaching & Culture.

Bama > ND x1000

Not saying we don’t pull off a stunna, be we won’t be anywhere near on cruise control in the 4th like we were that glorious night at Joe Robbie.

DL - 2017 Team wins
LBs - ….2017 team wins
The Office Lol GIF

Bottom line thankfully we get them in game 1 rather than the end of the year hopefully we can make it respectable

Advertisement
Back