2017-2018 Canes ARE NOT under the radar

Grad transfers are a mixed bag. The really good ones are like finding needles in haystacks and want to play for a national power. Not saying that we aren't, but KU snagged the two best grad transfers on the market this summer.

I'm expecting big strides from Ezundu this season. He looked very much improved in ACC play and his length around the rim is tremendous. It's much easier to teach defensive discipline than offensive skill, and he's further along in the latter at this point.

Miller is interesting. His body looked bad last year, so I'm hoping a summer in the South Florida heat will do wonders there. The staff transformed Gamble and Reggie's physique, so no reason to think the same can't happen. His feel for the game seems solid, so 15-20 competent minutes per game next year shouldn't be too much to ask.

Huell is the real wild card. He looked overwhelmed at times in conference play and uncomfortable with the speed and physicality of the game. He needs to be a 12 and 8 kind of guy next year.

Waardenburg is a tall guard as far as I'm concerned and Gak is probably too raw to contribute next year.

Advertisement
There's a reason why grad transfers aren't knocking down the door to come here: they don't see the available minutes.

There is burn at PF/C. This doesn't mean we need a starter but a quality role player as a backup (play 15-20 MPG).

Assuming the returning front court guys all improve from last season, I'm not seeing 15-20 minutes available to a grad transfer. I'm thinking 25-30 mpg for Izundu and Huell, 10-12 mpg for Miller and Waardenburg, and maybe a couple from Gak (don't know what to expect from him).

We had this conversation already. Don't you remember?

Nice assumptions.

The grad transfer apparently isn't happening, so we'll see how it plays out.

How do you know?

We have a transfer (sans grad) coming down today for a visit. There are some still on the market.

Grad transfers are a mixed bag. The really good ones are like finding needles in haystacks and want to play for a national power. Not saying that we aren't, but KU snagged the two best grad transfers on the market this summer.

I'm expecting big strides from Ezundu this season. He looked very much improved in ACC play and his length around the rim is tremendous. It's much easier to teach defensive discipline than offensive skill, and he's further along in the latter at this point.

Miller is interesting. His body looked bad last year, so I'm hoping a summer in the South Florida heat will do wonders there. The staff transformed Gamble and Reggie's physique, so no reason to think the same can't happen. His feel for the game seems solid, so 15-20 competent minutes per game next year shouldn't be too much to ask.

Huell is the real wild card. He looked overwhelmed at times in conference play and uncomfortable with the speed and physicality of the game. He needs to be a 12 and 8 kind of guy next year.

Waardenburg is a tall guard as far as I'm concerned and Gak is probably too raw to contribute next year.

If you watch Waardenburg's clips he's not a guard.

Advertisement
Back