2016 LB Uche Calls 'Canes "Dream School"

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
It was an easy decision for 2016 Columbus (Fla.) linebacker Joshua Uche to commit to the University of Miami today, as it was a moment he had been waiting for quite some time.

“It’s always been my dream school, so I thought ‘why not?’. I’ve always wanted to go there and it’s been my dream school growing up and as soon as I got the opportunity, I seized it.”

Uche spoke with defensive line coach Randy Melvin when he committed and said the coach was more than happy when he pledged to the ‘Canes.

“I got connected to him through my coach and I told him I wanted to commit. He was actually really happy and I think he said something about going out and drinking a couple beers (laughs).”

Uche plans to be a rush end in the 3-4 scheme with the Hurricanes and he hopes to display his versatility.

“They said I’d be playing a 3-4 rush end, mainly a pass rusher and sometime dropping back into coverage. Essentially a hybrid linebacker.”

The 6’2 212 pounds pass rusher is honored to be apart of the ‘Canes highly ranked class and believes the coaches feel he can compete with the best.

“It means a lot, it means they think I’m gonna come in and make a big impact. This class is what’s going to turn the program around, so just to be able to be apart of history in the making is amazing.”

Columbus is coming off a state title run last year where they fell short to Apopka (Fla.), but the Explorers are more than reloading.

Uche is confident that the defense along with Trajan Bandy, Bryce Handy,Guy Thomas and Fabian Thomas will be more than enough to help them return to the State Championship.

“I think it’s going to be turned up a notch from last years defense we just have to stay focused,” said Uche. “I know our coaching staff is going to do a great job of developing us for next season.”

When asked what Hurricane fans can expect from him, Uche was very straight forward.

“I’d say you’re getting a steal. I’ve been overlooked a little bit, but I’m one of the hardest workers and I’m always looking to improve and I’m never gonna settle,” said Uche. “I’m always hungry and I’m never satisfied.”

Columbus’ defensive coordinator Alex Trujillo said Uche’s potential is through the roof.

“First off he is a great kid, as a football player, he is a natural pass rusher.” said Trujillo. “He has one of the best first steps burst I've seen at Columbus and I believe he will fit well into that hybrid rush DE/OLB 3-4 type.

Trujillo said the Hurricane commit has put tremendous work in the offseason and is expected to get much bigger.

“Kid has put on about 15-17 pounds since the season and his brother is about 6-5. Kid will definitely get bigger.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
This kid gets bigger and i don't see how recruiting services can sleep on him any longer. Kid reminds me a lot of Tyriq McCord, he's quicker then McCord about the same height and slightly lighter. Steal.

Advertisement
welcome to the u...Liked his numbers at the combine..those are A1 numbers that show an athlete.

Agree ^^. Not sure why anyone would second guess this take. We complained to all **** last year when Adrianne Talon and Rod Archer were overlooked and this kid is the same type of athlete. In fact, he might be a better athlete AND he is already heavier than those two as a JR. Plus this gets our foot in at Columbus who is a quiet powerhouse in Dade.. **** when is the last time we got a kid from there? Lol. Danyell Ferguson?

When I saw the 40 time Uche ran at the Miami Opening event over the weekend and then watched his highlights, I pessimistically mentioned in another thread that he's exactly the type of athlete a different staff would prioritize and try to keep home. And in fairness, this staff's established size bias and lack of emphasis on speed/explosion made it seem unlikely that they'd go after this kid.

Happy to have been proven wrong so quickly. Offered just a few days later and he commits on the spot. That's the way it should be more often, though this staff's ability to use him properly when he gets here obviously remains a very legitimate concern. He looks like a definite take to me, though.

Agree ^^. Not sure why anyone would second guess this take. We complained to all **** last year when Adrianne Talon and Rod Archer were overlooked and this kid is the same type of athlete. In fact, he might be a better athlete AND he is already heavier than those two as a JR. Plus this gets our foot in at Columbus who is a quiet powerhouse in Dade.. **** when is the last time we got a kid from there? Lol. Danyell Ferguson?

Deon Bush was the last Columbus kid we landed, I think.

When I saw the 40 time Uche ran at the Miami Opening event over the weekend and then watched his highlights, I pessimistically mentioned in another thread that he's exactly the type of athlete a different staff would prioritize and try to keep home. And in fairness, this staff's established size bias and lack of emphasis on speed/explosion made it seem unlikely that they'd go after this kid.

Happy to have been proven wrong so quickly. Offered just a few days later and he commits on the spot. That's the way it should be more often, though this staff's ability to use him properly when he gets here obviously remains a very legitimate concern. He looks like a definite take to me, though.

Deon Bush was the last Columbus kid we landed, I think.

Yes

Advertisement
2015 class had a lot of big kids JJ and Walton had to be the only small and those ate two guys who ste probably physically read to play in college.

The 16 class has emphasized speed and athletism so far.

This Class is unbelievable. IDC if we end up with the #10 class with all these current commits. you know they are going to rank everyone lower which will hurt us but this is a class right you can win with. this is a guy would have been screaming at the staff about last year and its a complete 180 this year. maybe beaz is right. and even though i hate Golden and it took him this long too see what he needed to do. im happy he finally got some help. and is actually listening. he will be a much happier individual in the end.

I thought we were going back to a 4-3. Didn't i read that on the Football board? Guess i was wrong.

Either way Welcome to the U

Advertisement
Really like this kid's tape and explosiveness. My only concern is that the 2016 LB class could turn into the 2015 RB class. I'd love to keep all of them and for all intents and purposes it sounds like each of them is dying to be a cane. However, 5 LB in one class is a lot and the situation could end up pushing one or two out. Unfortunately, this kind of situation also makes it easy for a kid to use the numbers game as an excuse without getting much backlash. Regardless I'm hoping they all stick because we would be loaded by 2018 with an elite linebacking core

5 linebackers in a 3-4 isn't a lot, some of those players are playing specialized positions

This ^^. And its been said at nauseum..I don't think people realize how bad our "quality" depth is at the "true" LB position. Not talking hybrids here..Just true LBs. Its borderline scary. Owens/Young/Gayot will be JRs by the time this class comes in and Grace will be a SR. Kirby will be gone. So most of these kids will be asked to be in our two deep by the time they get here.

****, Shaq might be asked to prepare himself for a starting role out the gate. And you at least want to redshirt two of them. (probably Simmons and Uche)

So when you think along those lines, we are just fine if you ask me.

Advertisement
5 linebackers in a 3-4 isn't a lot, some of those players are playing specialized positions

This ^^. And its been said at nauseum..I don't think people realize how bad our "quality" depth is at the "true" LB position. Not talking hybrids here..Just true LBs. Its borderline scary. Owens/Young/Gayot will be JRs by the time this class comes in and Grace will be a SR. Kirby will be gone. So most of these kids will be asked to be in our two deep by the time they get here.

****, Shaq might be asked to prepare himself for a starting role out the gate. And you at least want to redshirt two of them. (probably Simmons and Uche)

So when you think along those lines, we are just fine if you ask me.

^^^^^ This. This is why i wasnt worrying baout numbers at LB as they all look to be playing at different spots imo.

UKNOWWHAT you dont have to worry bout naything bro, your boy seems to be the MIKE in our defense ALREADY. The only one who looks like a Mike is Pinkney.

Our lb depth this year is down right Horrible. When Shaq and this crew come in we will ONLY have Juwan Young as the only MIKE BACKER.

I actually think Gil stays at safety first year similar to Gayot.

We likely have attrition, and then you have injuries. We should carry 9-10 schollie lbs at all times....especially when we have guys that are specialized but listed as LB's....guys like Mike Smith/ Mccray who are basically pass rush guys...i think of this kid down the orad having a role similar to Thurston Armbrister who looked good for us last year as a rush lb.

The numbers at LB and CB are our two biggest problem areas in terms of depth. But even after reading that article, I still think this kid stays a rush end. I know he is short (though he could still grow) and light (college S&C program will cure that). But he is a natural. Great first and second step, great lateral quickness, good hand placement and pad level, nose for the ball. I like his speed off the line better than the 2014 guys we took with similar H/W measurables coming out (McCray, Smith and Harris).

Advertisement
Back