2015 QB Locksley Recaps Miami Visit and Talks Top List

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2015 GIlman (MD.) quarterback Kai Locksley is a student of the game not only because of his hard work and dedication, but also the knowledge he gains from his father, Mike Locksley, who is the offensive coordinator for the Maryland Terrapins.

While having a collegiate coach as a father can be troubling when he doesn’t get as much one on one time as many would expect, he does gain a tremendous amount of benefits from it.

“The downside is that his jobs is basically taking care of a bunch of other people’s kids and it can be strenuous at times so I don’t get the exact one on one time. The benefit is when you do the knowledge you get from him from conversations about football with him. That’s the one thing coaches like is kids who know about the game.”

Locksley is heading into the summer with spring football getting ready to start, but that hasn’t stopped him from doing other things to improve his game.

“I throw every weekend, on saturday I throw with my trainer every saturday and then I throw with my coordinator on sunday. Right now I am actually getting ready for the Elite 11 regional camp this Friday and then the Nike camp on Saturday. Hopefully I’ll be out at the next stage of the Elite 11 and then The Opening.”

It’s no surprise that the 6’4 195 pound prospect is attracting attention from all around the country with his skills. He recently released a top list of schools from which he’s gotten to see.

“I believe it was Florida State, Oregon, Texas, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Ole Miss and Miami.”

“Those schools in general I’ve actually got to see first hand and some of them are based off interest I’ve had since I was a kid. I have a great relationship with the coaches at all the schools and we just built a good foundations and I can see myself playing at each one of the programs.”

The Gilman product visited the Hurricanes during the spring and spoke a little bit about his visit and how much he enjoyed it.

“Coach (James) Coley is a great coach and a work addict. His knowledge as a quarterbacks coach is something I want to learn with a guy like coach Coley. In terms of the visit I had an excellent visit down there,I was blown away. I watched the practice and the guys were quick, fast and athletic and they like to compete. Their campus is ridiculous and it was just a great solid place.”

Miami was one of the many places Locksley has visited so far and many are wondering what are Miami’s chances of making his next list that will be cut down.

“They’re a school who I can see further down the line being in my top 5, but we’ll have to see,but I’m definitely pretty high on Miami.”

While in Coral Gables the Maryland native got a chance to speak with some current players on what’s it like to attend the university and play football there.

“I was talking to some of the elite freshman, I spoke with Braxton Berrios, I spoke with Duke Johnson and I just asked them a couple questions about Miami and it was all good stuff to hear.”

The chances of Locksley returning the Hurricanes campus will be dependent on whether they make his top list of schools.

“It’s not for sure that Miami will be in the top 5, but I’m pretty sure that it’s likely that they will and hopefully I can continue the relationship with coach Coley.”

Experts have already penciled in Locksley to wind up at Maryland due to his father being a coach there, but his response indicates it couldn’t be father from the truth.

“I just kinda sit back and laugh because as I’ve told every coach who’s coached me and tried to recruit me is that no one is pressuring me a lot, I don’t even have a leader until recently with Florida State, but it does play a big factor that my father is there, but by no means does it mean I will commit there soon.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
Interesting stuff. Thanks, Tito.

I couldn't have been more impressed by Locksley's highlights when I watched them. I put him side by side with Wimbush as 1 and 1A among the QBs we've offered who aren't named Torrance Gibson, who's obviously not as refined a passer as they are but is an incredible athlete.

I always assumed Locksley would just end up at Maryland to join his dad. If that's not going to be the case, we better recruit the **** out of this kid. He'd be an enormous get.

For those who haven't seen him, check out the ball placement in these highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1148627/highlights/66621384

-- Ball Velocity off his hand is impressive to say the least
-- Looks like he needs to learn how to go through a progression (lot of run action fakes and then throwing to the first read)
-- Excellent athlete at his size

just a grammatical error as a writer i'm sure you'd like to made aware of, it's "their campus", not "they're campus".
the title is misleading. when i hear that we are in "good shape", i would naturally think a kid is high on UM and we have a good/great chance. it's not even definite we make his top 5.

Advertisement
just a grammatical error as a writer i'm sure you'd like to made aware of, it's "their campus", not "they're campus".
the title is misleading. when i hear that we are in "good shape", i would naturally think a kid is high on UM and we have a good/great chance. it's not even definite we make his top 5.

Agreed. Stay tuned.

Realistically, what is our chances when his dad is the OC for the Terps? Has he stated that he wants to be independent or are we grasping at straws for this one?

Still have a hard time believing he won't end up at Maryland but at least we are in the conversation.

Advertisement
I dont think he goes to Maryland. I think that his dad even knows that this season may not go the way they want and he may get let go so if he does commit there it may be late in the process

Let's don't post another thing about this kid until he shows up and registers. I would bet half of what I have that he will be a Terpene no matter what the rhetoric is.

Advertisement
i think he's a terp but saying the opposite to get recruited and take his trips. if he didn't down play the maryland thing and his dad, he'd probably not get a lot of attention and trips.
maybe i'm wrong, but, i think he ends up there and wouldn't be suprised if he commits early to help their recruiting.

This. A more accurate title might have been: "Miami Potentially in the Mix for 2015 QB Locksley."

The kid basically said we won't be in his top 5. Lol kid is a longshot especially with his pops corchin at UMD

Advertisement

This. A more accurate title might have been: "Miami Potentially in the Mix for 2015 QB Locksley."

I prefer: "Longshot QB from Maryland gives Tito attention, Kaaya losing grip on the Crown"

Porsters on here look for anything to bizznitch about

its a free site were many of the "writers" are up and comers learning their trade get off their nuts and enjoy the free news

Man y'all reach like **** for upvotes..who cares what the title is!? If the staff didn't do a follow up with the kid everyone would be on D's wondering why AG n staff didn't make an impression. Now that Tito gave us an update now everyone's ****in on themselves about a title..wow

Nevermind stating the obvious of him being a long shot I think whoever gets this kid is getting a good one. Kids a walking offensive playbook. Coley seems to have made a worthwhile impression on em though.

Porsters on here look for anything to bizznitch about

its a free site were many of the "writers" are up and comers learning their trade get off their nuts and enjoy the free news

They're giving them advice on how to make their writing better, not criticizing the content. If anything, they seem to be helping him with constructive advice.

Advertisement
Back