2015 Mississippi State vs Arkansas

hharvey09

Recruit

I like watching old games in the off-season. I was coaching college football during this season so I didn’t get to watch this game at the time. I chose it because you Diaz as DC at MSU, Enos as OC at Arkansas and Mullen as HC at MSU.

Good to see the evolution of all 3 coaches from 4 years ago. I liked the use of the tight ends and fullback by Enos. It’s gonna be sick on the first down play action with Jeff Thomas in the outside. He’s never had a weapon like him. Both defenses got lit up. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
Yeah the Mississippi State - Florida game from last year is a good game to watch to get a look at what Florida's game plane will look like week 0.

The one thing I notice about watching Enos' offense is that he schemes players wide open.

Yeah the Mississippi State - Florida game from last year is a good game to watch to get a look at what Florida's game plane will look like week 0.

The one thing I notice about watching Enos' offense is that he schemes players wide open.
Yeah I like how he sets up his PA deep shots and screens with his lead draw and run game. One area that worries me is when he gets into 3rd and long and gets off schedule. His drop back game leaves a lot to be desired but he has never had receivers like the guys we got. Not ever a KJ Osborn at the mid major level. If these guys lose the drops that plague us we should be explosive.

Can the OL give Miami's QB enough time even for quick routes?

I'll need convincing on 24 Aug.

I think the struggles of our OL are overblown. Were they great? No and they sucked in short yardage but this notion that we couldn’t get a pass off or a successful run is wrong IMO

There’s plenty of room for improvement though and I’m hopeful that a change to a competent OL coach and OC(can’t be overstated) will go a long way.

Advertisement
I think the struggles of our OL are overblown. Were they great? No and they sucked in short yardage but this notion that we couldn’t get a pass off or a successful run is wrong IMO

There’s plenty of room for improvement though and I’m hopeful that a change to a competent OL coach and OC(can’t be overstated) will go a long way.

I want you to be right.

I very much want my concerns proven wrong.

Go Canes!

Same here. On the weekends, I watch a couple old games. I'm very selective on my Miami games to rewatch. I get too emotional, especially these last 10-12 years. Way too many games that should have been won.

Can the OL give Miami's QB enough time even for quick routes?

I'll need convincing on 24 Aug.
The best coordinators know what they’re weaknesses are and try to hide them. If a line sucks it sucks no fixing that but there are ways you can help them suck less, meaning keeping the defense off balance with motions, trades, screens, draws, RPOs, pocket movements changing launch points, effective Play Action. These things make defenses hesitate even if it gives your offensive line an extra one second. Sometimes that one second is the difference between tipped passes, sacks, fumbles and interceptions or big plays and touchdowns

Hoping there’re some things Barry learned in the NFL that can translate over to this scheme like what happened with Simpson. The thing is it takes a combination of talent, teaching and scheming in that order. When he was at Arkansas, Enos had a great line coach in Sam Pittman, now at Georgia. Pittman values size ( heavier) and athleticism. Guys like Ju’wan James, Frank Ragnow, Johnathan Cooper. Barry seems to prefer heavier guys at Guard and Taller, athletic guys, like former tight ends that can add muscle like Eric Fisher from the Chiefs. It is a long two months to see which method works for us.

Advertisement
Hoping there’re some things Barry learned in the NFL that can translate over to this scheme like what happened with Simpson. The thing is it takes a combination of talent, teaching and scheming in that order. When he was at Arkansas, Enos had a great line coach in Sam Pittman, now at Georgia. Pittman values size ( heavier) and athleticism. Guys like Ju’wan James, Frank Ragnow, Johnathan Cooper. Barry seems to prefer heavier guys at Guard and Taller, athletic guys, like former tight ends that can add muscle like Eric Fisher from the Chiefs. It is a long two months to see which method works for us.
Are you saying Barry prefers heavier guys at guard and taller more athletic guys at OT?
You left out the OT if that's what you meant.
That also means two distinct kinds of players do there might not be much interchangeability between the two.

Are you saying Barry prefers heavier guys at guard and taller more athletic guys at OT?
You left out the OT if that's what you meant.
That also means two distinct kinds of players do there might not be much interchangeability between the two.
Yes thanks for pointing that out. I think there is always an inherent thought process that there are tackles, guards, and centers and sometimes there are guys that start at tackle and don’t have the athleticism so they move inside where they are protected in the pass game by a center and tackle.

Just hoping that Enos has things planned out as such that if something is, or isn’t working, that he continually makes the proper adjustments necessary to keep the offensive flow going to churn up yardage and points versus the Gayturd. I’m no offensive guru but the more varied I think we are the more we keep Grantham and Floriduh’s defense guessing. Here’s hoping Enos does and that El Jefe allows him to keep going for Mullen’s throat on the scoreboard

Advertisement
You should watch the 2017 game.

Enos against Grantham

Not a great performance by Arkansas' offense, but they should've been blown out. MSU had a top 10 defense with three 1st round draft picks; Jeff Simmons and Montez Sweat on the DL, and Johnathan Abram in the secondary.

Enos against Grantham

Not a great performance by Arkansas' offense, but they should've been blown out. MSU had a top 10 defense with three 1st round draft picks; Jeff Simmons and Montez Sweat on the DL, and Johnathan Abram in the secondary.

Thanks mate. The link is no longer available but I’ll go find it and give it a watch.

If you want to compare Enos' Ark days to what we saw in 2018 Hurricanes offense, the two things that stand out are (1) a varied run game and (2) crossing routes to the bone. On those two things alone, we'll jump 30 spots in multiple offensive categories. And, our "terrible" OL will be perceived differently, too.

Advertisement

Enos against Grantham

Thanks I’ll check out this afternoon

I like watching old games in the off-season. I was coaching college football during this season so I didn’t get to watch this game at the time. I chose it because you Diaz as DC at MSU, Enos as OC at Arkansas and Mullen as HC at MSU.

Good to see the evolution of all 3 coaches from 4 years ago. I liked the use of the tight ends and fullback by Enos. It’s gonna be sick on the first down play action with Jeff Thomas in the outside. He’s never had a weapon like him. Both defenses got lit up. Any thoughts?

"Never had a weapon like Thomas?"

Not even the receivers had at Bama last year?...I know they were not actually his since he was not coordinator but QB coach but loosely speaking he could utilize them with his QB.

I read the article earlier about how good the four WRs are at Bama, starting with Jeudy. I wonder how Thomas compares to anybody in that group.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement
Back