2015 DT's

Hstokes1447

Junior
This staff is doing a great job with DT's in this class, but in order to take the next step they must hit a home run again in 2015. With that being said, 2015 looks like a very poor year for DT's in South Florida. Does anyone know anything about these guys?

1. Brandon Boyce University School
  2. Deiontae Lynch Booker T. Washington
  3. Michael Sharp Dunbar
  4. Richerd Desir-Jones St. Thomas Aquinas
  5. Jared McGahee Northwestern

Advertisement
Unless more names pop out, I don't expect the staff to stay in South Florida for DTs

I do not expect Boyce to get offered

This staff is doing a great job with DT's in this class, but in order to take the next step they must hit a home run again in 2015. With that being said, 2015 looks like a very poor year for DT's in South Florida. Does anyone know anything about these guys?

3. Michael Sharp Dunbar

May have to go to New Jersey for DT:eekeyes:

3. Michael Sharp Dunbar

U school and Dunbar are automatically out, i.e. Will be redirected to UF

The other 3 we have a shot at...!

Advertisement
With the difficulties we have getting JUCO's in, this D Line will be built the hard way, High School kids. It takes a DT 3 seasons to mature before you can expect high level production. If this holds true we might have to suffer through some bad DT play until 2016, unless the guys we currently have can step their game up.

Current DT that could be on the roster in 2015
  1. RSR Corey King (If the staff some how lands another JUCO DT, I don't think he will be on this team)
  2. SR Earl Moore (He must be productive or we will be in big trouble)
  3. SR Jelani Hamilton (same as Earl)
  4. SR Michael Wyche
  5. SO Travonte Valentine
  6. SO Anthony Moten
  7. RFR Courtel Jenkins

Looking at those numbers, this staff must bring in at least 3 DT's in 2015. The only good thing is, we could finally be in a position to redshirt guys.

This is why I don't like the 3-4. It's basically a 3 DT defense. (Source? Joe Gibbs). The 4-3, at least as conceived by Jimmy Johnson, is basically a 5 LB defense, hence the need for only 2 true DTs. (Source? JJ himself).

Don't even bother to challenge me on this; I know what the two HOF level coaches said.

Although it seems simplistic, that's why I'd rather see us emphasize 4 down lineman (2 DTs, and 2 true DEs) most of the time next year. That being said, I'm no expert, but just trying to think through our DL personnel dilemma.

Advertisement
boyce is really short but productive. know his brother a little and UM isn not recruiting him. he's talking about fsu, but, i'd be surprised if the kid gets recruited by a top tier div 1 school due to measurements. but, he is productive at that level.

Unless more names pop out, I don't expect the staff to stay in South Florida for DTs

It seems to me that most of our great DTs have come from outside So FL. Even Valentine is from St Lucie County, isn't he? Jerome, RIP, was Brooksville I think. I have no problem getting our DTs elsewhere. It is nice that we are getting better oline prospects done here now. Big Daddy was Lake Worth, so at least in the tri-county.

Advertisement

It seems to me that most of our great DTs have come from outside So FL. Even Valentine is from St Lucie County, isn't he? Jerome, RIP, was Brooksville I think. I have no problem getting our DTs elsewhere. It is nice that we are getting better oline prospects done here now. Big Daddy was Lake Worth, so at least in the tri-county.

Wilfork was what, Broward or Palm Beach? I haven't lived in Florida for many years, so I don't know many of the schools and communities.
Jerome Brown -- Brooksville, FL
Warren Sapp -- Apopka
Cortez Kennedy -- Arkansas
Russ Maryland -- Chicago
William Joseph -- Miami (I don't consider him great, but he was a 1st rounder)
Lester Williams -- Carol City
Kevin ***an (DT or DE? He played DT at UM and DE for the 49ers, so he was really a DT) -- Lake Worth
Jim Burt -- Orchard Park, NY
Jimmie Jones -- Okeechobee (Not really a great, but ended up with a great deal when he left the Cowboys for the Rams)

Going back in time, we had some great DTs in the '70's, like Don Latimer, Don Smith, Rubin Carter, and I don't know if Eddie Edwards was an end or tackle.

Smith was Tarpon Springs, Carter was Ft. Lauderdale, and Latimer and Edwards were Ft. Pierce.

Tony Cristiani -- Brandon
Bob Tatarek -- Jeannette, PA
Mike Barnes -- Pittsburgh
Gary Dunn -- Coral Gables

So, it seems most were outside of the tricounty south Florida area.

Did I leave anybody off?

Keep in mind that some of our DTs grew into the position, like Kevin ***an. Others, were hardly or not even recruited, like Russ Maryland and Jimmie Jones.

I followed recruiting pretty closely, and I didn't remember Cortez Kennedy when he came out of HS. He turned up at UM in '88, fresh from juco. He was a reserve DT, and the staff told him he could be all-world if he lost some weight. He was all-world the next year, so I'd like to know his diet.

Ha-ha! The automatic censor on this board (or my browser) won't print Kevin ***an's name. It's this guy:

[video=youtube;TW20N1Dz-cA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW20N1Dz-cA[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back