2015 DT Sterling Johnson excited by UM offer

View as article

Nash Williams

Freshman
This past week, the Miami Hurricanes offered one of the best 2015 defensive tackles in the country.

That player being Sterling Johnson who attends Cleveland High School in Clayton, North Carolina.

The six-foot-five, 284-pound mammoth of a man, was very excited when the Hurricanes defensive line coach Jethro Franklin offered him.

"Of course I was very happy and very excited. However, besides coach Franklin following me on Twitter, I hadn't really had much connection with (Miami)," said Johnson.

Johnson, who has offers from the likes Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, and just about every other big-time BCS school, wanted to hear what coach Franklin had to say.

"He said (Miami) will need guys like me down there," said Johnson. "He also said they were going to get back to their winning ways and stuff like that," said Johnson.

However, one school may have the ultimate inside track on Johnson early on. That school being the in-state North Carolina Tar Heels.

The reason the Tar Heels can feel a little more confident in their chances is that Johnson's mother is a pharmaceutical graduate assistant recruiter at the university.

"She helps recruit kids for the graduate school of pharmaceutics so she helps out the college with that," said Williams.

Since his mother is involved with the university how much is that going to play into his decision?

"Not much. While she would prefer that I stay, she also knows that, being realistic, the three major football programs in North Carolina that are consistently, year-in and year-out making noise," said Johnson.

Johnson describes his play on the field as, "I come off the ball fast. I'm very explosive and have a great first punch. I've been told I'm pretty strong and that I'm just an overall playmaker. If it's 4th & 1 and we know they are going to run an iso play, I'm the guy that's expected to make a play," said Johnson.

Johnson told me that he plans to visit Alabama on March 1 and South Carolina on March 29. He plans to visit Miami soon.

**Here are Sterling's highlights: http://youtu.be/1gZ1wNHtK2c

**Photo via newsobserver.com

Advertisement
We are going to get one of these big boys from out of state this year. We have no choice with the limited DT's in Florida this year.

Just offer every single DT rated 3 stars or above from around the country.

Someone has to stick.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back