2015 Canes baseball primer

View as article

shoeless

Retired staff
Premium
2015 Canes baseball Primer.

With less than two months away from the start of college baseball season, it is time to familiarize ourselves with this years Canes baseball team. The Hurricanes have not been to Omaha since 2008, something that has not sat well with the fans in south Florida. But this year’s team is probably the strongest from top to bottom since that 2008 team which took the number one overall seed going into the postseason.

Miami will welcome back several key players but none more important than second round draft pick, and ace, Andrew Suarez (Suarez was just name a Louisville Slugger preseason All-American second team). It is always key in college baseball to have that ace you can count on Friday nights. With Suarez, the Canes have exactly that. Rounding out the weekend rotation, coach Morris has options. Sophomore Derik Beauprez is the most likely starter for Saturdays. Beauprez was a big time signee last season and really came on strong toward the end of the season, capping it with a huge performance in regionals. Thomas Woodrey, who was a key cog in the bullpen last year, is one candidate for the final rotation spot, as will several freshmen, most likely Keven Pimentel or Andy Honiotes. Pimentel, ranked 105 by Perfect Game nationally, has been rumored to be throwing in the mid to upper 90’s.

The bullpen welcomes back its setup man, Cooper Hammond, and all-ACC closer, Bryan Garcia (Garcia named Louisville Slugger preseason All-American second team). Woodrey could end up in the bullpen again as well, where he was almost unhittable at times last season. If Miami can shore up that weekend rotation, the late innings look to be a major positive for this team.

It is no secret that Miami has struggled offensively since 2008. This year the Canes have the weapons to finally be a dangerous offensive team. Enter Zack Collins (Collins named Lousville Slugger preseason All-American first team). The sophomore catcher may be a top ten hitter in the country. Collins was last years ACC Freshman of the Year, as well as Baseball America National Freshman of the Year. Collins will bring plenty of power and protection in to the Canes lineup.

The return of a rejuvenated David Thompson at first base (or possible some third) could be the key piece to the Miami lineup really producing at a high level. Thompson, who has battled injuries during his time at Miami, finally got healthy and became a Cape Cod all-star over the summer.

Willie Abreu, another stud freshman last season, will most likely hit fifth after Collins and Thompson, respectively, and that 3-4-5 should be about as potent as any in the country. Abreu is a sweet swinging lefty who does not provide the power of Collins or Thompson but was a third team all-ACC player last season. Abreu was drafted in the 14th round two years ago and his potential is through the roof.

The middle infield remains slighty in tact with smooth fielding Brandon Lopez at shortstop and, most likely, Johnny Ruiz at second base, who ended up playing some third base last season with injuries hitting the team. Miami welcomes junior college transfer George Iskenderian, who started his career at South Carolina, and will most likely start at third base. He is a big hitter who could also fill a need for Miami as a power hitting corner infielder. Iskenderian hit .373 at Indian River last season.

The outfield is stacked. There is no way around it. There are countless combinations that Miami could throw out in the outfield. Willie Abreu in right field seems to be the only certainty. Centerfield could see freshman phenom Carl Chester get the start, who coach Morris said was the fastest guy on the team, and was ranked the 68th overall prospect by Baseball America. Ricky Eusebio will most likely get the early look in center, a fast veteran who is a very solid defensive player. Left field could be a battle between returnee Jacob Heyward and freshman Justin Smith. Smith is raw but is considered a big time prospect, as he was ranked 43rd overall prospect by Baseball America.

The wildcards are Chris Barr, who redshirted last season, but has spent time in both the outfield and at first base, and Garrett Kennedy, who played catcher the past two seasons. If Kennedy can improve offensively, then Collins most likely will get much needed time at DH. Barr can provide a lot of athleticism to different positions.

There is definitely some excitement in the program for 2015. The pitching staff may not be as complete as last year, but the ace is there, and the offense should be much better. Coach Morris and the Miami Hurricanes have a complete team on paper filled with a legit ace, solid bullpen, great closer, offensive power, speed, and a sweet fielding middle infield.

We hit on it a little in this outlook, but look for a discussion on the top freshmen soon. Stay tuned…

Advertisement
Thanks for the preview! Can't wait to see how the season goes for the Canes! It was huge that we kept Suarez. Omaha or bust!

Advertisement
We certainly look good on paper. We need to put it together and stay healthy on the mound. Our 3-4-5 hitter may be the best in the nation. Most likely Collins-Thompson-Abreu in order to make it lefty-righty-lefty but we will see which order Morris goes with. We really need to get back to Omaha.

Well you know Morris usually gives the older guys the benefit of doubt. Eusebio may start the season lead off but it's gonna be tough to keep freshman Carl Chester off the field and at lead off. Two hole hitter could be anyone, maybe Iskederian? But Morris likes that 2 hole hitter to move guys over so I could also see Ruiz or Lopez there. We definitely have options.

The biggest impediment for this team, is the same one one it has been for the last several years. Jim Morris. He is a wildly ineffective and self-defeating in-game manager. His biggest flaw, and it is a gigantic one, is his infatuation with sacrifice bunting. From the 6th inning on in regular season, and at anytime from the Regionals on, he will sac bunt as soon a runner reaches bases. This includes, if say, a pitcher looks lost and has walked a guy on four straight pitches. Wait to see if you get another free pass, not Jim, he'll hand you a free out on the very next batter and bail you out. It has been proven by lots and lots of data, that's method of old-school managing is actually like shooting yourself in the foot. The odds/percentages DO NOT support giving up an out to advance a single base. Outs are precious, you only get 27 of them, '3' just gives them away like Harry and Lloyd giving out 100 dollars bills in the first D & D..."Here ya go, Here ya go" What even dumber than giving the other team a handful of free outs a game??? Doing it with the middle of your order. I can't tell you how many times he's sac bunted David Thompson, DT is arguably the second best power hitter on the team. Why give an out for free, when the chances are greater that he doubles and you saved the out? This isn't hard, but Morris hasn't progressed with the times. Be old-school in your discipline, not your in-game managing. It just goes on and on with him, sub patterns and playing time, in games pitching changes. I LOVE this team, especially this year, and I'm terrified he's gonna ***** it up. JD Arteaga should have taken over this team 3 years ago. Hopefully our slugging percentage will outweigh his opportunity to sac...errr give outs away for free.
#GoCanes

Advertisement
The biggest impediment for this team, is the same one it has been for the last several years. Jim Morris. He is a wildly ineffective and self-defeating in-game manager. His biggest flaw, and it is a gigantic one, is his infatuation with sacrifice bunting. From the 6th inning on in regular season, and at anytime from the Regionals on, he will sac bunt as soon a runner reaches base. This includes, if say, a pitcher looks lost and has walked a guy on four straight pitches. Wait to see if you get another free pass, not Jim, he'll hand you a free out on the very next batter and bail you out. It has been proven by lots and lots of data, that method of old-school managing is actually like shooting yourself in the foot. The odds/percentages DO NOT support giving up an out to advance a single base. Outs are precious, you only get 27 of them, '3' just gives them away like Harry and Lloyd giving out 100 dollars bills in the first D & D..."Here ya go, Here ya go" What's even dumber than giving the other team a handful of free outs a game??? Doing it with the middle of your order. I can't tell you how many times he's sac bunted David Thompson, DT is arguably the second best power hitter on the team. Why give an out for free, when the chances are greater that he doubles and you saved the out? This isn't hard, but Morris hasn't progressed with the times. Be old-school in your discipline, not your in-game managing. It just goes on and on with him, sub patterns and playing time, in games pitching changes. I LOVE this team, especially this year, and I'm terrified he's gonna ***** it up. JD Arteaga should have taken over this team 3 years ago. Hopefully our slugging percentage will outweigh his opportunity to sac...errr give outs away for free.
#GoCanes

There is no doubt that I share much of your criticism, as do most Canes fans. But I wonder if the fact that we finally have more than 1 or 2 offensive weapons in the lineup will help. Also the new ball that will be being used will help with offensive production. With hitters like Collins, Thompson, Abreu, and hopefully Iskenderian and a few freshmen, moving guys over into scoring position could pay dividends. Again, I'm with you on giving up outs so often, but I'm sort of playing devils advocate and hoping maybe what should be an improved offense can actually produce some runs this year by moving guys into scoring position.

Yawn. Start of great, then finish in the top 3 in the ACC and Lose to the Gators or some little northeast team in the regional finals. Fans get all upset again as we blow a ton of talent and Jim Morris comes back next year with a true cane in his hand. No pun intended.

call me from omaha
tumblr_mp65plCtbj1suiajho1_500.gif

Advertisement
Well I guess it's a good thing that this program has built such high expectations. It is impossible to get to Omaha every single year. Even FSU, who has no academic standards, great facilities, and a notoriously gets an easy road to Omaha can't break through and win it. Having Gino Dimare back has been big. He has brought in and developed a ton of talent that was just lacking while he took time off. This year seems to be where we see the results. We will see. 2008 was rough, maybe the greatest (or 2nd) best team we have ever had. Gino left after that and so did the development and talent across the board.

Yeah Morris really killed the team last year. It is his fault the team didn't hit against Texas Tech in the regionals.

Advertisement
Sometimes baseball, especially college baseball, comes down to fire/passion/heart, and which team uses it to their advantage. It looked like a lot of times down the stretch last year, we just quit...and that falls directly on the coaches. Morris has to either come up with a "no more Mr. Nice guy" mentality, or he needs to ride off into the sunset.

If/when the time for change comes, I'm telling you--we need to go outside the Arteaga/DiMare box. Now, I wouldn't mind DiMare near as much, but Arteaga would be just a younger version of Morris. I'm not on board for that. Too analytical, not enough fire. You have to play smart, but you have to allow some pride and heart to be displayed from time to time. You can't look like a dead fish at crunch time, because you end up playing (and getting beaten) like one.

I'm looking forward to this season as I think that the new ball will help us, and I believe we'll have enough offensive firepower to win ballgames in a variety of ways--we know how to manufacture runs when we need to, we just need to combine that with some timely power hitting. We simply need to lock down the weekend rotation and play solid defense. We cannot let errors get in our way.

The main indicators I'm looking for is to see us take the next step past beating the teams we should be (like we started to do during our win streak last season), start playing above our abilities a little bit here and there (sweep some series we probably shouldn't, like @UVA), and to stop playing down to our competition (i.e.--not dropping mid-week games to FAU/Stetson/Bethune-Cookman like we did last season).

By the time we hit April, we should have a really good idea of where we stand. By that point--we will have played series against @UFayg, @Loserville, NC State, and @UNC. Those 4 series will be decent tests, and a good measuring stick as to where we can expect to be come June.

The time has already come. Gino Dimare is the head coach in waiting and will take over in three years.

Meh. Solid write-up, but you seem to have your "glass is half full" glasses on with all of your assumptions and statements. Put in more time and effort than anyone else around here so I'm not gonna complain.

Advertisement
Back