2015-16 Canes Men's Tennis

Kirijax

Senior
The tennis team season is starting on January 16th so here's the roster, the schedule and a quick preview of the men's tennis season.

Roster:

Coaches:
Head Coach Mario Rincon (12th year)
Assistant Coach Mark ****son (5th year)
Volunteer Assistant Coach Laurence Tieleman (4th year)

Seniors:(National Ranking)
None

Juniors:
Max Andrews (Doubles #48 )
Jesse Flores
Bernard Tefel

Sophmores:
Kevin Bondar
Nile Clark
Niclas Genovese
Christian Langmo
Piotr Lomacki (Singles #45 , Doubles #48 )

Freshmen:
Fermin Calvo
Dane Dunlap

2016 Team Schedule
Sat, Jan 16 St. John's Coral Gables, Fla. 2:00 p.m.
Sun, Jan 17 Florida Atlantic Coral Gables, Fla. 2:00 p.m.
Fri, Jan 22 UNF Invitational - Alabama Jacksonville, Fla. 11:00 a.m.
Fri, Jan 22 UNF Invitational - UNCW Jacksonville, Fla. 4:30 p.m.
Sat, Jan 23 UNF Invitational - UNCW Jacksonville, Fla. 11:00 a.m.
Sat, Jan 23 UNF Invitational - UNF Jacksonville, Fla. 3:30 p.m.
Fri, Jan 29 UCF Coral Gables, Fla. 10:00 a.m.
Sat, Jan 30 Troy University Coral Gables, Fla. 12:00 p.m.
Mon, Feb 15 Army Coral Gables, Fla. 10:00 a.m.
Mon, Feb 15 Army Coral Gables, Fla. 3:00 p.m.
Thu, Mar 03 Michigan Coral Gables, Fla. 12:00 p.m.
Sun, Mar 06 Florida State Coral Gables, Fla. 3:00 p.m.
Tue, Mar 08 Middle Tennessee State Coral Gables, Fla. 12:00 p.m.
Fri, Mar 11 Duke Coral Gables, Fla. 2:30 p.m.
Sun, Mar 13 North Carolina Coral Gables, Fla. TBA
Fri, Mar 18 Boston College at Chestnut Hill, Mass. TBA
Sun, Mar 20 Notre Dame at Notre Dame, Ind. 12:00 p.m.
Fri, Mar 25 Wake Forest Coral Gables, Fla. 1:00 p.m.
Fri, Apr 01 Georgia Tech at Atlanta, Ga. 5:00 p.m.
Sun, Apr 03 Clemson at Clemson, S.C. 11:00 a.m.
Fri, Apr 08 NC State Coral Gables, Fla. 2:30 p.m.
Sun, Apr 10 Louisville Coral Gables, Fla. 12:00 p.m.
Fri, Apr 15 Virginia Tech at Blacksburg, Va. 1:00 p.m.
Sun, Apr 17 Virginia at Charlottesville, Va. 12:00 p.m.
Thu, Apr 21 ACC Championships at Cary, N.C. TBA

Preview:
The Canes men's tennis team finished the 2014-15 season with one of the worst records in Canes history with a 7-17 record and a 1-12 record in ACC play. Mario Rincon is in his 12th year as head coach but the Canes have now missed the last 4 NCAA Championships. They have not won a single ACC Championship dual matchup since 2010. Things don't look much better for them in 2016. The players are a year older and they have added a couple of new recruits, and that maybe good for another win or two in the ACC but that's about it. I wish I could say that Rincon's job is on the line unless he gets the team to the NCAAs, but that isn't going to happen. I doubt UM cares enough about the tennis program to go out and find a good coach to get the Canes back on track so it may be more of the same for the next few years for the Canes tennis program. I've heard that Assistant head coach Mark ****son is a great recruiter but I haven't seen much proof of that, with all of the top Florida and even Miami tennis prospects going elsewhere. There were 23 blue chip and 5-star players from the state of Florida in 2014 and 2015 and the Canes have managed to sign one 5-star (Langmo, 2014) from the bunch. The Canes team is dire need of help but I can't see that help anywhere on the horizon.

Advertisement
Intercollegiate Tennis Association put out their first rankings since September.
The Canes men's team is not ranked in the Top 75. Piotr Lomacki (23), Christian Langmo (70) and Max Andrews (91) are ranked in the singles. No doubles teams are ranked.
The Canes women's team is ranked No. 13 in the team rankings. Lohan(7), Wagner (9), Ogando (21) and Zhang (8) are in the singles rankings.Wagner and Riobueno (22) are in the doubles rankings.

ITA Rankings

Que my yearly rant on the NCAA tennis format!

"Doubles Point"? Really?

back in my day, it was 6 singles and 3 doubles, best of three sets!

Advertisement
The tennis team season is starting on January 16th so here's the roster, the schedule and a quick preview of the men's tennis season.

Roster:

Coaches:
Head Coach Mario Rincon (12th year)
Assistant Coach Mark ****son (5th year)
Volunteer Assistant Coach Laurence Tieleman (4th year)

Seniors:(National Ranking)
None

Juniors:
Max Andrews (Doubles #48 )
Jesse Flores
Bernard Tefel

Sophmores:
Kevin Bondar
Nile Clark
Niclas Genovese
Christian Langmo
Piotr Lomacki (Singles #45 , Doubles #48 )

Freshmen:
Fermin Calvo
Dane Dunlap

2016 Team Schedule
Sat, Jan 16 St. John's Coral Gables, Fla. 2:00 p.m.
Sun, Jan 17 Florida Atlantic Coral Gables, Fla. 2:00 p.m.
Fri, Jan 22 UNF Invitational - Alabama Jacksonville, Fla. 11:00 a.m.
Fri, Jan 22 UNF Invitational - UNCW Jacksonville, Fla. 4:30 p.m.
Sat, Jan 23 UNF Invitational - UNCW Jacksonville, Fla. 11:00 a.m.
Sat, Jan 23 UNF Invitational - UNF Jacksonville, Fla. 3:30 p.m.
Fri, Jan 29 UCF Coral Gables, Fla. 10:00 a.m.
Sat, Jan 30 Troy University Coral Gables, Fla. 12:00 p.m.
Mon, Feb 15 Army Coral Gables, Fla. 10:00 a.m.
Mon, Feb 15 Army Coral Gables, Fla. 3:00 p.m.
Thu, Mar 03 Michigan Coral Gables, Fla. 12:00 p.m.
Sun, Mar 06 Florida State Coral Gables, Fla. 3:00 p.m.
Tue, Mar 08 Middle Tennessee State Coral Gables, Fla. 12:00 p.m.
Fri, Mar 11 Duke Coral Gables, Fla. 2:30 p.m.
Sun, Mar 13 North Carolina Coral Gables, Fla. TBA
Fri, Mar 18 Boston College at Chestnut Hill, Mass. TBA
Sun, Mar 20 Notre Dame at Notre Dame, Ind. 12:00 p.m.
Fri, Mar 25 Wake Forest Coral Gables, Fla. 1:00 p.m.
Fri, Apr 01 Georgia Tech at Atlanta, Ga. 5:00 p.m.
Sun, Apr 03 Clemson at Clemson, S.C. 11:00 a.m.
Fri, Apr 08 NC State Coral Gables, Fla. 2:30 p.m.
Sun, Apr 10 Louisville Coral Gables, Fla. 12:00 p.m.
Fri, Apr 15 Virginia Tech at Blacksburg, Va. 1:00 p.m.
Sun, Apr 17 Virginia at Charlottesville, Va. 12:00 p.m.
Thu, Apr 21 ACC Championships at Cary, N.C. TBA

Preview:
The Canes men's tennis team finished the 2014-15 season with one of the worst records in Canes history with a 7-17 record and a 1-12 record in ACC play. Mario Rincon is in his 12th year as head coach but the Canes have now missed the last 4 NCAA Championships. They have not won a single ACC Championship dual matchup since 2010. Things don't look much better for them in 2016. The players are a year older and they have added a couple of new recruits, and that maybe good for another win or two in the ACC but that's about it. I wish I could say that Rincon's job is on the line unless he gets the team to the NCAAs, but that isn't going to happen. I doubt UM cares enough about the tennis program to go out and find a good coach to get the Canes back on track so it may be more of the same for the next few years for the Canes tennis program. I've heard that Assistant head coach Mark ****son is a great recruiter but I haven't seen much proof of that, with all of the top Florida and even Miami tennis prospects going elsewhere. There were 23 blue chip and 5-star players from the state of Florida in 2014 and 2015 and the Canes have managed to sign one 5-star (Langmo, 2014) from the bunch. The Canes team is dire need of help but I can't see that help anywhere on the horizon.

Used to be one of the strongest programs in the country. What happened? The usual clueless administration. Time they got the word on this like they did with football. Tired of these embarrassing chit teams.

Just lost the opener to ST. JOHN'S.

I'll repeat, the Miami men's tennis team lost to ST. JOHN'S!!!!! IN TENNIS!!!!

program has become an absolute horror show. How rincon is still employed at UM is mind-blowing, but with blake james still in charge, I guess it isn't. Why attempt to achieve excellence when you can simply suck? That's the easy thing to do.

Still waiting for any type of player development and top-level recruiting to occur in this program. 4-5 straight years of complete incompetence on the tennis court on the men's side.

At least Paige as her girls ready, too bad Ogando is hurt though.

How does Mario Rincon still have a job?

It's absolutely astonishing. Only at Miami (a school that offers elite opportunities in every category) can you lose as much as a lot of our coaches do and not feel a lick of pressure.

A culture of mediocrity and complacency has poisoned Miami's athletic department for over a decade now. Shalala played a giant role in that so hopefully things will change but until change actually takes place the athletic program will continue to underachieve at a serious level. 3 ACC titles in all sports combined since joining the league is simply mind-blowing. That is so pathetic.

Advertisement
Besides Rincon what other coach should be fired? BTW NO ONE cares about Mens tennis. Womens's soccer had a tough year but ACC is a killer conference.

Besides Rincon what other coach should be fired? BTW NO ONE cares about Mens tennis. Womens's soccer had a tough year but ACC is a killer conference.

as is the ACC for tennis, with that said St. John's should be a 7-0 sweep

Depressing but not surprising. I may have to pull back on my generous prediction of 7 wins for the season. No help in sight.

Depressing but not surprising. I may have to pull back on my generous prediction of 7 wins for the season. No help in sight.

Sorry, Rincon is too complacent now; it's time to shake things up. IF Blake is feeling his oats, time to lower the boom again.

Advertisement
Just lost the opener to ST. JOHN'S.

I'll repeat, the Miami men's tennis team lost to ST. JOHN'S!!!!! IN TENNIS!!!!

program has become an absolute horror show. How rincon is still employed at UM is mind-blowing, but with blake james still in charge, I guess it isn't. Why attempt to achieve excellence when you can simply suck? That's the easy thing to do.

Still waiting for any type of player development and top-level recruiting to occur in this program. 4-5 straight years of complete incompetence on the tennis court on the men's side.

At least Paige as her girls ready, too bad Ogando is hurt though.

St. Johns has a ranked player at 1
Their 2 had an ATP ranking of 1,000
The third singles was a top ranked junior in the US
Their 4 played junior grand slams at US Open and Aussie Open
5 guy had an ATP ranking
6 guy has an ATP ranking

Don't know where you'd get 7-0 from

Saying that it is a joke they aren't even ranked.

USF was ranked Top 30 last year I believe. FSU and UF are always ranked Top 30/20/10. UCF/FAU have rankings. FGCU even has a ranking.

It's pretty clear Rincon should be gone. If you can't recruit for tennis at Miami, you dont belong there

Canes regrouped today and beat Florida Atlantic 5-2. At least they'll go the season without having to worry about a winless year. lol

Beating FAU is good but again 7-0 should be the expectation with 6-1 if one of FAU's guys/teams plays lights out. Would also think that with how good the women's team is that it is clear that its on the coach and not the school, location, academics, weather, facility.

Advertisement
Que my yearly rant on the NCAA tennis format!

"Doubles Point"? Really?

back in my day, it was 6 singles and 3 doubles, best of three sets!

It still is that, but they de-emphasize doubles so that whichever team takes two wins the doubles point, thus putting greater emphasis on the singles.

As weak as the men are (loss in season opener to St. John's), the women are loaded, with two top 25 types in Wagner and Sinead and 7 players (including those 2) who should be in the Top 100, meaning the team can sustain an injury, and they should not lose a doubles point this season, which is a recipe for winning tough road matches.

Miami went up to Jacksonville today for the UNF invitational and, what do you know, lost both matches 4-1 to Alabama and UNC-Wilmington. Rain in the area forced the doubles to be cancelled so the teams began with singles and only one singles match was won in each dual match.

Another extremely underwhelming and disappointing day for Rincon's team. Looks like another useless and unproductive year for Miami men's tennis.

Horrible weekend ends for the Canes. After losing to Alabama and UNCW, they were scheduled to play UNCW again and UNF. They would have lost both but both matches were canceled. Nothing has been posted on the school site about it so I guess we'll find out in a couple of days when they get around to posting something. Took a look at the remaining schedule for the year and I see maybe 4 more wins during the year and 15 more losses. That will leave them with a record of 5-19 for the year. We are firmly at Boston College level now.

The Canes beat Central Florida 5-2. I'm genuinely surprised. A win over UCF being surprising is the level of this team right now. Maybe it will get better. But the ACC is going to pulverize them.

Advertisement
Back