2014 NFL DRAFT: SCOUTING NOTES FROM MIAMI (FL) VS. FSU

CaneBoss

Bossman
Came across this today - I am not sure how reputable the source is, but I found the Highsmith comments comical

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draf...ing-notes-from-miami-fl-vs-florida-state.html

This was quite easily the most exciting matchup of the weekend and after a shaky first half by both teams, Florida State came out in the 2nd half and dominated, particularly on defense. The first half feature either big plays or sloppy plays from both offenses with FSU throwing 2 INTs, which led to both Miami TDs. In the 2nd half however, FSU dominated in every phase of the game. Creating turnovers on defense and methodically moving down the field on offense. FSU continues to stay on track for a possible BCS title game appearance.

Shayon Green, DE, Miami (#51), 6’3, 262 – Came away from this game impressed within Green. He wasn’t able to get much pressure in the passing game, however he played the run extremely well. He showed the strength to fight through blocks. Also played intelligently enough to stay home to take away cut backs. His skills translate to strongside 4-3 DE, however I’d like to see him add a little more size and pass rush ability in order to contribute.

Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami (#77), 6’8, 348 – Henderson looked to be rotating in every other series so I didn’t get to see as much of him as I would like. The little he did play he looked strong. Great push on run plays, ability to get to second level. In the pass game he took great drops, used his arm extension well. Hope to see him get more snaps in the future, but this type of play will help correct his draft stock to where it was preseason.

Stephen Morris, QB, Miami (#17), 6’3, 214
Morris was a story of two halves, although part of it may have to do with him making riskier throws once his team was down more in the 2nd half. He was accurate early, particularly on deep throws, however he didn’t face much pressure during the game. Although on his first of two TD passes, he had a defending right in his face but he stepped into the throw and place in perfectly. He had some negatives in the 2nd half as he threw two INTs one due to a late throw, the other due to an underthrow. Overall, Morris played a little better than I expected but I still have some concerns about his accuracy within 10 yards.

Terrence Brooks, CB, Florida State (#31), 5’11, 197
Interesting prospect in Brooks here. He looks likely to play safety at the next level, but he is more of a Day 3 prospect. He had good coverage and ball tracking on one deep ball, coming a few feet away from making the interception. Also came up and made a few play in the run game as well. He did have a mistake in zone coverage as he was beat by Miami TE Clive Walford. I don’t think he has the athletic ability to be a starter in the NFL, but could contribute by adding some depth.

Kenny Shaw, WR, Florida State (#81), 6’0, 170
Shaw is an interesting prospect for FSU. He is a tall skinny WR who shows the great ability to get open and catch the ball, however he lacks the big play skills to get yards after the catch. He has a place on a team at the next level, however he doesn’t have the potential to be a #1/#2 WR. He may settle in as a #4 WR who can be counted on to make the catch.

Other Notes:

Miami’s Allen Hurns had a strong game, showing the speed to beat the WR deep and feet to make the tough sideline catch. His size and athleticism could push him up draft boards as we get closer to May.
Miami’s Jimmy Gaines had a tough game. At times overrunning stretch plays and losing his man in coverage. Does have good strength at point of contact though.
Miami’s AJ Highsmith had a rough game for Miami as well. Getting beat in short zone coverage, as well as getting beat on a jump ball when playing cover 2. I don’t see his skills translating to any above=average skills at the NFL and think he drops to a free agent pickup.
FSU’s Christian Jones had another quiet game. Biggest play came when he was beat outside and commit personal foul to make tackle.
FSU’s LaMarcus Joyner had a rare quiet game for himself, however he was all around the field like normal. Showed great athletic skills, particularly in his read and react ability. Still see him as a solid Day 2 pick.
FSU’s Telvin Smith led the FSU defense to another great performance. Made an erro in coverage against Miami TE Walford, but he made multiple plays in the running game to stop Miami from moving the ball.

Advertisement
Morris was a story of two halves, although part of it may have to do with him making riskier throws once his team was down more in the 2nd half. He was accurate early, particularly on deep throws, however he didn’t face much pressure during the game. Although on his first of two TD passes, he had a defending right in his face but he stepped into the throw and place in perfectly. He had some negatives in the 2nd half as he threw two INTs one due to a late throw, the other due to an underthrow. Overall, Morris played a little better than I expected but I still have some concerns about his accuracy within 10 yards.
[/QUOTE]

How can this be? Zone said he was deadly accurate.

Advertisement
Are those the only FSU starting seniors? Aside from their center? Who else leaves? Greene?

Advertisement

How can this be? Zone said he was deadly accurate.

lol that's what u got from this quote??? lol how pathetic

Scouting reports at this point in the season are all bogus

lol you think AJ Highsmith was ever considered an NFL prospect???

Advertisement
Back