2014 Defensive Tackles

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
Who are some names besides Clark @ Chaminade & Moten @ STA?

Anyone know any JuCo kids who have missed qualifying last couple years?

Advertisement
Justin Sibole-American Heritage
Edgar Cerenod-American Heritage
Travonte Valentine(UF commit/might want to play in sec but staff will recruit)-Bayside
Hialeah might have a kid

We're going to need at least one JuCo, again. A lot of the **** that happened to us is not on Al. Negative recruiting, though, is no excuse for the massive strikeout that is our DT situation.

Advertisement
Justin Sibole-American Heritage
Edgar Cerenod-American Heritage
Travonte Valentine(UF commit/might want to play in sec but staff will recruit)-Bayside
Hialeah might have a kid

Tony Baxter at Hialeah.

I think the need for a juco DL will depend largely on the development of our current group. If say Moore and Ivery make the "leap", then a juco kid might now be as important..

Advertisement
The staff needs to keep getting up into GA or NJ. I'm sure they are though. Alot of great talent in those states.

I think Clark and Moten are MUST gets. Im not so sure we get a JUCO. Lot will depend on how the current crop develop. Guys like Ivery, Grimble, King, Briscoe, Pierre, and Moore will be upperclassmen. If 4 of those guys are servicable, I could see us just taking 2-3 Frosh DTs, and letting the best 2 get some burn in the rotation.

I think Clark and Moten are MUST gets. Im not so sure we get a JUCO. Lot will depend on how the current crop develop. Guys like Ivery, Grimble, King, Briscoe, Pierre, and Moore will be upperclassmen. If 4 of those guys are servicable, I could see us just taking 2-3 Frosh DTs, and letting the best 2 get some burn in the rotation.

I'm not sure which kids are must gets yet. They're good prospects but I'm not sure Moten at least is a no brainer. Valentine is another kid and I'm sure they'll identify others. I expect Moten will get offered, in any case -- not disputing that. Just not sure who will turn out to be 'must gets' at that spot.

Re the guys we have, you keep talking about the names, but IMO there's not a kid on that list that's proven anything or given us reason to expect much other than Pierre, and he has only two years left. Hopefully some of them become okay, but I don't see any likely difference makers on that list other than maybe (hopefully) Ivery. Briscoe has the talent but I'm not sold on him having the drive. If we are going to compete with the Abalamas of the world, we're going to need a lot more than JAGs at DT.

I'm not sure which kids are must gets yet. They're good prospects but I'm not sure Moten at least is a no brainer. Valentine is another kid and I'm sure they'll identify others. I expect Moten will get offered, in any case -- not disputing that. Just not sure who will turn out to be 'must gets' at that spot.

Re the guys we have, you keep talking about the names, but IMO there's not a kid on that list that's proven anything or given us reason to expect much other than Pierre, and he has only two years left. Hopefully some of them become okay, but I don't see any likely difference makers on that list other than maybe (hopefully) Ivery. Briscoe has the talent but I'm not sold on him having the drive. If we are going to compete with the Abalamas of the world, we're going to need a lot more than JAGs at DT.

I agree, but brother you cant seem to get your mind around the fact that most of those cats were Freshmen this year. And it wasnt like they were Freshmen playing among more seasoned players, it was the blind leading the blind out there. You may be right, and most of them may end up being scrubs and JAGs, but I really think its too early to to tell. Next year will tell us a lot more about what some of those guys may develop into. I think Moore and Ivery have some talent, and could become decent DTs. I think Pierre looks like he could also be pretty good. The other issue then is, can you find a super stud JUCO to come in here that is better than those guys, because it really does nothing to go out and get another Darius Smith, if he's going to be no better than the guys you have at the position now. This year would have been ideal to bring in a JUCO DT since the bulk of the guys we have are still pretty young, and some of them could probably use a RS year. But after next year, any JUCO you bring in would be the same year, so unless he offers a significant upgrade, its probably a wasted scholie at that point.

Advertisement

I agree, but brother you cant seem to get your mind around the fact that most of those cats were Freshmen this year. And it wasnt like they were Freshmen playing among more seasoned players, it was the blind leading the blind out there. You may be right, and most of them may end up being scrubs and JAGs, but I really think its too early to to tell. Next year will tell us a lot more about what some of those guys may develop into. I think Moore and Ivery have some talent, and could become decent DTs. I think Pierre looks like he could also be pretty good. The other issue then is, can you find a super stud JUCO to come in here that is better than those guys, because it really does nothing to go out and get another Darius Smith, if he's going to be no better than the guys you have at the position now. This year would have been ideal to bring in a JUCO DT since the bulk of the guys we have are still pretty young, and some of them could probably use a RS year. But after next year, any JUCO you bring in would be the same year, so unless he offers a significant upgrade, its probably a wasted scholie at that point.
I understand that. But most of those kids weren't great prospects and while I'm not condemning for their freshman play, I'm not going to delude myself into expecting more from them just because they were freshmen. Also, a couple of those guys, while freshmen, are extremely strong physically, so the most common reason why freshmen DL don't play wasn't a big hinderance for them. I just don't expect a lot from that group. Like I said, I think Ivery can be a solid run stuffer and Briscoe has potential but I'm skeptical on his motor. Pierre is solid and I'm not talking about him. The rest of that crowd, I don't think will be helping us get to the land of milk and honey.

As for what to do about it all, that's a different question. For today my point was DT is a position of need for us. I believe that.

All we can do now is focus on next year. Depending on how many kids step up, we may or may not want / need a Juco next year. IMO if we can get a really good one, it will make sense to take one. But Darius Smith is a bad analogy, IMO, because he was just a filler taken at a time when we were desperate. I don't think anyone thought he was going to become Cortez Kennedy.

Maybe we should root around in Louisiana, Alabama, Texas, Mississippi, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. Some of those big tater-eating catfish heads.

Speed? South Florida.

Monsters that aren't prima donnas? Elsewhere.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back