2014 ATH McKenzie is a Playmaker

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
The 2014 South Florida class has already received a lot of hype, but one name that hasn’t been mentioned by many is American Heritage ATH Isaiah McKenzie. It’s about time that people started to take notice. At 5’8”, 170 pounds he isn’t the biggest player on the field, but he has proved he is the ultimate playmaker. His American Heritage squad is in the middle of a 5-1 season, where some have predicted they could go all the way to states.

“The season is going good, everybody’s making plays and doing what they’re supposed to right now. The coaches are doing a great job and we’re just working hard everyday.”

As a sophomore, McKenzie had 27 catches for 506 yards and 7 TDs. He is already on pace to shatter those numbers this year.

“I’m actually doing very well right now. I have 17 catches for 427 yards and 7 touchdowns.”

The junior is an extremely versatile prospect, as he makes plays in all three phases of the game.

“I’m playing both sides of the ball. I like both because I have good cover skills. My return game is important too because I set us up with good field position. My quickness and hands at receiver are good too.”

Former FSU star Greg Reid spoke with McKenzie over the summer and told him that his game reminded him of himself.

“Since he’s small like me and we’re both speedy return guys, we’re basically just alike. He told me this at a camp. My speed, quickness, and technique help me make big plays even though I’m on the smaller side.”

Somebody that McKenzie is close to is 2014 5-star running back Sony Michel.

“He gives me motivation. I just try to work as hard as he does. The way he carries himself on the field is what I try to do also. I try to get faster, stronger, and make big plays like he does. We help each other you can’t put nine in the box because then I’m one-on-one with a corner that I’m bound to beat and if they don’t put nine in the box then he has a lot of field to work with.”

There are a few schools that are already recruiting McKenzie and a couple more that he would like to hear from.

“Boston College, Florida State, and Rutgers are talking to me right now. They’re recruiting me as an athlete. I like Virginia Tech and Miami too. I just wanna be able to look at everything and take my visits because I live in Miami and I’m used to it.”

What is he looking for in the school that he chooses?

“Academics, education, and where I fit in with their offensive style as well as if I can play as a freshman is important to me. The people around me and the coaches are something I’m looking at too.”

The electrifying athlete is already looking at an offseason camp tour.

“I’m planning on going to the Al Golden camp, the Florida State camp, and the Rutgers camp.”

Advertisement
I went to the game when they played Hallandale to see Sony play...

This Kid basically made all the plays, lulz..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back