2013 UM RB Recruit GUS Edwards ( SR Highlights) SIAP

Paranos

All-ACC
Well in looking at UM's next option for a RB in the 2013 class; Gus Edwards I found a highlight of his SR year which looks MUCH better then his JR year highlights (although you can tell the SR yr are sped up).

Now I am not sure if these have been posted already but I thought I would post them just in case.

Go Canes!

2013 RB Gus Edwards Staten Island, NY (SR highlights) (he is #4)
[video=youtube;O-tMT8TdXBk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-tMT8TdXBk[/video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HURS3Qdx2EU

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't know about a poor man's Mike James, because MJ showed it on the field as a cane, but I do think Gus runs slightly better in traffic then MJ did his SR year.

Go Canes!

Bakas calls him "a poor man's Mike James"

I like Mike, but he doesn't handle bad news very well... and that's saying something coming from a guy like me who can throw a fit with the best of them. He reacts like a child when things like this happen. Guy genuinely loves the Canes and just gets real sour when things don't go well.

Advertisement
Who knows what that comp is like but we aren't in a position to nitpick at this point.

Kid is a monster. He's one of the most important players left on the board. MUST SIGN.

Mike James is a bad comparison because Mike James never ran as a big back. He was good for a lot of things, but was never a power runner or short yardage runner. Mike James wanted to be a scat back in a 220 pound body. He had a bad habit of always breaking down before the LOS and never hitting the hole at speed. That is why 2 years straight the mythical idea of thunder and lightning or smash and dash (1st with Miller and then with Duke) never came to fruition. Mike James blocked well, caught the ball well, and once he was in open field and running at speed, he was tough to bring down. But Edwards is a real bruiser and will actually compliment Duke better.

Let's just hope that, if we get Edwards, he picks up on all of the other things needed to be a back who gets significant carries and compliments Duke (i.e. pass blocking)

Kid looks legit. Also, he is a unique back who will not scare away the 2014 guys like Collins would have (granted I would have taken AC in a heartbeat).

Advertisement
Mike James is a bad comparison because Mike James never ran as a big back. He was good for a lot of things, but was never a power runner or short yardage runner. Mike James wanted to be a scat back in a 220 pound body. He had a bad habit of always breaking down before the LOS and never hitting the hole at speed. That is why 2 years straight the mythical idea of thunder and lightning or smash and dash (1st with Miller and then with Duke) never came to fruition. Mike James blocked well, caught the ball well, and once he was in open field and running at speed, he was tough to bring down. But Edwards is a real bruiser and will actually compliment Duke better.

Let's just hope that, if we get Edwards, he picks up on all of the other things needed to be a back who gets significant carries and compliments Duke (i.e. pass blocking)

I would have to agree! Here is a Video highlight of a complete game from his SR where he plays Defense, and pass blocks (which leaves a little something to be desired but, he doesn't have any crushing blocks but he gets it done)

Go Canes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36QR2boZV-M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeoLNuJE90k

He has now become a must get. My question is if we don't get him where do we turn for a RB or do we eat the scholarship and wait on a transfer or something?

Advertisement

I like Mike, but he doesn't handle bad news very well... and that's saying something coming from a guy like me who can throw a fit with the best of them. He reacts like a child when things like this happen. Guy genuinely loves the Canes and just gets real sour when things don't go well.

Just to clarify, are you saying Mike Bakas doesn't handle bad news well or Mike James doesn't handle bad news well?

LULZ at Bakas as talent evalutor. I used to argue with Bakas over whether Sean Taylro was a saftey or LB. He said Taylor was too big for safety and would 100% be a LB.

No one goes to Bakas for talent evaluation.
Sorry but MB is pretty good with evaluations IMO.

It's just somethig I shared, no opinion from me one way or another. Too depressed right now to offer up one

Advertisement
Back